PDA

View Full Version : Godard 'Texas Holdem'

antifish225
12-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi - need some help - recently bought a new godard painting 'Texas Holdem' - see below - I am having a hard time figuring out one or two things and what thier meaning is (all of the images are suposed to be hold'em slang)

http://www.artifactsgallery.com/art.asp?!=W&ID=17333

Here are (besides the obvious ones) some examples and the ones I can not figure out:

One's I get:
Suited Spade flush draw
Big Stakes
Aces in the Hole
Crying Call
Busted

One's I have no clue on:
The Blue Hat = ?
The little ant = ?
The Heart with sunglasses on = ?
The bleeding Spade = ?
The Black Cat = ?

Any help appreciated - and if you are not familiar with Michael Goddard you should really check out the rest of his work - I own several and they are great 'fun' pieces of art - AF

Colonel Kataffy
12-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Hmmm. This is boarderline.

Aloysius
12-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Uh - you don't know what Black Cat could be?

I don't like his painting style.

-Al

antifish225
12-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Borderline? Common help a brother out......

KneeCo
12-08-2005, 03:12 PM
I love it!

Anywhere I can get it big enough for a desktop wallpaper?

Slow Play Ray
12-08-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. This is boarderline.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.

Is the heart "drawing" or is it "blind"? Or both?

Bleeding spade = busted flush?

Black cat = bad luck

Hat = "cap it"

Clueless on the ant though...

fluxrad
12-08-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Common help a brother out......

[/ QUOTE ]

English, [censored]. Do you speak it?!

Oh..and that would be a club flush draw.

Koss
12-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Cracked on 5th street. I love it.

antifish225
12-08-2005, 03:17 PM
bad spelling - sorry - but really how is this 'borderline' I am confused?, is this not the type of thing for OOT?

Brainwalter
12-08-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I was more annoyed by "boarderline".

Brainwalter
12-08-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bad spelling - sorry - but really how is this 'borderline' I am confused?, is this not the type of thing for OOT?

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT is for discussion of topics unrelated to poker.

Slow Play Ray
12-08-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever, everyone's WAY too anal here about "p*ker content" - it's not like we're discussing a hand, this is really no different than the "75 bands in this picture" thread.

bwana devil
12-08-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Heart with sunglasses on = ?

[/ QUOTE ]

the heart is blind. so big blind i guess.

antifish225
12-08-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is about art - that happens to be about poker (and I think people would be upset if I cluttered a startegy board with an art discussion)

Colonel Kataffy
12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I was more annoyed by "boarderline".

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

mike l.
12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
wow that's some cheesy ugly crap. id prefer a spicyf work anyday.

Aloysius
12-08-2005, 03:22 PM
AntiFish - It's kind of a hackey concept IMO, and I dislike the execution (not the symbols per se, just the painting style and composition).

If this were more awesome, I think it might be appropriate for OOT despite the p**** theme.

-Al

DMBFan23
12-08-2005, 03:22 PM
this is a really cool painting. I wish prints of it weren't a shitload of $$$.

and I see Sucker, Astro, Diablo talk about how OOT used to be when we could mention that we actually play poker and [censored], and it seems cool.

antifish225
12-08-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really have to see it on canvas to appreciate it - and no it is likley not everyones taste (but goes great in my computer/poker room in my house)

Shajen
12-08-2005, 03:25 PM
What's up with all the haters talking about "no poker" in oot.

Whatever. It's a painting about poker. Let it be. It's not like he's discussing a frigging hand history here.

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

razor
12-08-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT is for discussion of topics not appropriate in any of the other forums.

mason55
12-08-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

and I see Sucker, Astro, Diablo talk about how OOT used to be when we could mention that we actually play poker and [censored], and it seems cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all pretty much Dynasty's doing.

housenuts
12-08-2005, 03:56 PM
the reason for the no poker rule is because there's so many fucktards that a hard and fast rule had to be made. if everyone could be trusted to post minor poker content such as this one there would be no problem. but because then it because a grey area and with so many idiots (not ootiots) the rule just became absolutely no poker whatsoever. i love people who have been on this forum for less than a year and try to enforce this rule

antifish225
12-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the clarification of the rules.......never posted in this forum before, however I could not figure out where to ask this question - and really wanted a response....AF

lighterjobs
12-08-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really have to see it on canvas to appreciate it - and no it is likley not everyones taste (but goes great in my computer/poker room in my house)

[/ QUOTE ]

you've must not ever seen a spicyf painting.

antifish225
12-08-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you've must not ever seen a spicyf painting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not - going to google it right now

DMBFan23
12-08-2005, 04:31 PM
he's a poster here, he did a bunch of paintings a while back. they're buried in OOT somewhere

ddollevoet
12-08-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really a print, but a calendar that includes this print can be found here (http://www.gotmartini.com/MGCalendars.htm) .

I'm not affiliated, blah, blah, blah....

WackityWhiz
12-08-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm pretty sure the bleeding spade has to do with the 'dead man's hand'

makes sense to me

Brainwalter
12-08-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys should not misconstrue my repsonse. The OP didn't know why the Col. said his post was borderline, and I was clueing in a noob. I'm not someone who goes off into "omg you said pokjer in oot!" Furthermore, the "p*ker" thing is really dumb and if people are talking about a non-poker topic, and poker is involved in the story, they should just say poker.

That being said, I think this post IS borderline. The title is Texas Hold'em, and it's a poker painting. The guy didn't know any better so I can't blame him, but if no one told him what was up his next post might have been balder poker content.

Nittily,
Brian

DrSavage
12-08-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The bleeding Spade = ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Gutshot?

DoomSlice
12-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Ante?

dblgutshot
12-08-2005, 06:30 PM
What pisses me off is that the picture is so small. If they expect to sell prints online for that much I want a large detailed picture to see it. Then again I would never buy this unless it was a poster, and cost less than 10 bucks.

Slow Play Ray
12-08-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ante?

[/ QUOTE ]

*ding*

bwana devil
12-08-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What pisses me off is that the picture is so small.

[/ QUOTE ]

most sites selling high dollar prints or photos post them at very low resolution. it prevents people from copying the image and reproducing it for a fraction of the cost. and btw it doesnt look very small to me.

bwana

youtalkfunny
12-09-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That cracked me up.

astroglide
12-09-2005, 01:15 AM
it is borderline but i don't see a better forum for this post

antifish225
12-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Ante - can not believe I did not figure that one out - Thanks

Crveballin
12-09-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This piece is full of symbolism representing different terms used in poker. The term “River” refers to the final fifth card to be dealt to the players, illustrated by the flowing blue river; the “royal flush” shown by the toilet; a “suit of card” represented by the blue suit; “folding” represented by folded paper. The “blind”, is the bet that must be made by the two players sitting directly to the dealer's left which will start the action on the first round of betting. This term is in the image is symbolized by the blind heart wearing sunglasses. High stakes correspond with red beef steaks in the image. Here are some others: “Hole card”= card with a hole; “Face card”=with smiley face, to call a bet= telephone, to bust= bust statue, to Cut=band-aid, the “antee”= ant, to check= diamond with a check flag; “Full boat or house” = boat in the martini glass. What a great poker piece!

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (http://www.michaelgodard.com/viewimages.asp?OriginalID=914)

KneeCo
12-09-2005, 02:20 PM
The crack on fifth street and the backdoor behind the flush draw are my favorite.