PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Store Etiquette

Spota
12-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Searched the archives so forgive me if this has been discussed recently.

When you are at the grocery store and there is no bagger to bag your groceries, do you help? I felt like a jerk yesterday standing there watching the cashier scan all my items then bag them all herself. Usually there is a bagger there putting the items in a bag when she scans them.

I just hung out and let her bag my groceries as well. If it makes any difference there was no line and I had 7 plastic bags full.

12-08-2005, 12:30 PM
I always help. Even when there is a bagger I feel guilty. Dont know why...

Shajen
12-08-2005, 12:31 PM
I help because I want to get the hell out of the grocery store, plus they almost always just throw [censored] in the bag instead of strategically placing it in there. Do it.

durron597
12-08-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I help because I want to get the hell out of the grocery store, plus they almost always just throw [censored] in the bag instead of strategically placing it in there. Do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, also I worked as a cashier in high school and thus I know I won't screw it up. Actually my grocery store has a self-checkout section, I almost always use that.

12-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Yes, I've helped a bagger before. Mostly because I want to leave the store, but also to speed up the line. I try to use the self-checkout whenever possible.

Speaking of which, does anyone in here scam the self-checkout, one way or the other? I'm sure you could save several dollars if you keyed those vine-ripened expensive tomatoes as regular crappy tomatoes. Thoughts?

ScottieK

vexvelour
12-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I mean, if you've got a cartful of groceries, you help out if not just because you don't want to stand there all night. I usually help if it's more than 5 bags, or if the cashier looks stupid, weak, old, etc.

I'm a female though, so usually the bagger boys come over pretty quick, lol.

TheMainEvent
12-08-2005, 12:39 PM
I try not to take advantage of policies that were probably created with elderly women in mind. I'm young and healthy, if I can do something that saves me time and saves someone else work, why not.

Spota
12-08-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually my grocery store has a self-checkout section, I almost always use that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has as well, but that usually takes me longer. I have to wait for them to push the "ok to buy beer" button, and to help with weighing\entering the code for vegetables.

moondogg
12-08-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of which, does anyone in here scam the self-checkout, one way or the other? I'm sure you could save several dollars if you keyed those vine-ripened expensive tomatoes as regular crappy tomatoes. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it is definitely stealing. What other thoughts would there be?

vexvelour
12-08-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you could save several dollars if you keyed those vine-ripened expensive tomatoes as regular crappy tomatoes. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn good idea! All the people that work at my usual store see me often and never check my reciept, either. I could totally get away with this.

BradleyT
12-08-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I've helped a bagger before. Mostly because I want to leave the store, but also to speed up the line. I try to use the self-checkout whenever possible.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah dude, all the vegetables I buy go in under 4011 for $.39/lb. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

12-08-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agree, also I worked as a cashier in high school and thus I know I won't screw it up. Actually my grocery store has a self-checkout section, I almost always use that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a bagger through high school and was very good at it, and when I first saw those self check out things I thought I was in heaven. I could move at my own super speed, get everything bagged how I wanted and get them out of there.

But they suck.

"Please scan the item." *pause*

"Please place the item in the bag." *pause

Everything takes about 5 seconds longer than if the cashier just swiped it through because of the stupid weight system that makes sure you're not stealing groceries. I tried it twice then gave up and went backto cashiers. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ray

JordanIB
12-08-2005, 01:22 PM
I don't help, but only because I can't really. My grocery store doesn't have an area with bags that accessible to the shopper.

Only bags are plastic ones on a rack next to the cashier.

I feel bad when I stand there and watch them bag all my grocieres, but I don't have a choice. If I was able to, I'd pitch in.

Reqtech
12-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Also help. Faster for me, faster for the people behind me, easier on the cashier. Everyone wins.

Also, I always place my similar items together on the belt so that when they are scanned I don't have to sift through the items to make the best combinations for bagging. Makes the bagging easier and faster.

CollinEstes
12-08-2005, 01:32 PM
I help but about scamming the self scanner I have done this on accident before and found it to be pretty easy to do.

Another great scam: the movie theater I go to has the inside automatic ticket teller thing and my friends and I always just go to it and buy child's tickets for 4.50 a piece. You can buy them for any movie even R rated ones without having to buy an adult. The ticket guy just looks at the movie and tells you were to go. Gold

McGahee
12-08-2005, 01:35 PM
I don't help - didn't expect anybody to help me when I was a cashier. It's not that difficult. Call me whatever names you want, but I'd rather be that guy than the deuchebag who leaves shopping carts in the parking lot. I also don't ask "where are the napkins" when I've been looking for all of 2 seconds. Hell I'll search for 15 minutes if I have to. I hated that guy when I worked retail.

12-08-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Another great scam: the movie theater I go to has the inside automatic ticket teller thing and my friends and I always just go to it and buy child's tickets for 4.50 a piece. You can buy them for any movie even R rated ones without having to buy an adult. The ticket guy just looks at the movie and tells you were to go. Gold

[/ QUOTE ]

You lucky [censored]. I wish we had this sort of thing.

ScottieK

sfer
12-08-2005, 01:43 PM
I haven't been to a grocery store with a cashier + bagger arrangement in years.

pokerdirty
12-08-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't been to a grocery store with a cashier + bagger arrangement in years.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing out.