PDA

View Full Version : When did you quit hearing music...

trotski
12-08-2005, 12:00 PM
...and really start listening?

For me, it was in college. I had my phones on one night in my dorm room, and i was listening to Jimi Hendrix/Are you Experienced? And I began to hear things I had never heard before, and that was when I realized what Jimi did with the guitar was not expanding the boundaries, he was obliteraing them. Completely opened my eyes.

So my questions to music-loving 00tiots:
(I'll start)
A)Who was the artist that opened your eyes? (Hendrix)
B)Album (AYE?)
C)Song (Third Stone from the Sun)
D) How old were you? (18)

RiverFenix
12-08-2005, 12:02 PM
E) Drug influenced?

12-08-2005, 12:02 PM
A) The Dead
b) Workingmans Dead
c) The whole album
d) 13-14

Slow Play Ray
12-08-2005, 12:10 PM
A) Pink Floyd
B) The Wall
C) Comfortably Numb
D) 17
E) Drug-Influenced

DMBFan23
12-08-2005, 12:10 PM
are you high?

coffeecrazy1
12-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Opening myself up to flames here, but:

A)Sarah McLachlan
B)Surfacing
C)Full of Grace
D)18

xadrez
12-08-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
B)Album (AYE?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont remember the specific artist or song. I was given a cassette of pretty standard funk (James Brown, JB's, Fatback, Meters, etc) and got baked and was totally blown away at the music. Up to that point I had listened to rap on the radio (late 80's-early 90's), so I was hearing the beats that had been sampled by Pete Rock, Large Proffessor, et al.

This was freshman year of high school. Still love funk and soul and hip hop and appreciate the syncretic nature of the genres.

mrkilla
12-08-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
E) Drug-Influenced

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

mrkilla
12-08-2005, 12:20 PM
A) The Doors
B) Best Of
C) The End
D) 15

yea I know it sounds young but my dad was this huge Blues/Classic Rock guy so we were always listeing to that stuff, I mean how many kids you know had a Yard Birds Collection on Vinal in high school (and yes I purchased them , dad didnt give them over)

mrkilla
12-08-2005, 12:22 PM
You /images/graemlins/heart.gif Ani Defranco too don't you...

krimson
12-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Did you just finish watching White Men Can't Jump or something?

<snipes> "You hear Jimi, but you dont listen to Jimi."

12-08-2005, 12:33 PM
You can't hear Jimi.

12-08-2005, 12:36 PM
I don’t think 15 is young for the Doors. 15 is when you are supposed to discover the Doors and think you are the only one who understands Jim and vice versa. By 18 I hope you have moved on to other music or you will turn that guy who lives with their parents still, driving a "bitchin" car and most probably have some sort of wispy facial hair.

trotski
12-08-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Opening myself up to flames here, but:

A)Sarah McLachlan
B)Surfacing
C)Full of Grace
D)18

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear Jewel's Christmas Album is pretty solid too. Just kidding, to each their own, man.

vexvelour
12-08-2005, 12:38 PM
When I started smoking pot.

trotski
12-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Vex, you get cooler by the week.

jakethebake
12-08-2005, 12:55 PM
I used to really listen. Then I got old. Now it's pretty much just something I hear in the background.

SL__72
12-08-2005, 12:58 PM
A) Tool
B) Aenima
C) Aenema
D) 15 or 16
E) No

JonPKibble
12-08-2005, 01:01 PM
A Oasis
B Definitely Maybe
C Live Forever
D 20
E Yes

edtost
12-08-2005, 01:02 PM
miles davis
kind of blue
n/a
15?

Dex
12-08-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A) Pink Floyd
B) The Wall
C) Comfortably Numb
D) 17
E) Drug-Influenced

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember hearing this song as a kid and thinking it sucked. Years went by and then I heard it again around 19 or 20, and I remember being somewhat amazed at the difference in how I experienced the song. I didn't just hear it; I understood it. Then the guitar solo at the end came in and just took it home - one of those moments where the music speaks in a way that words simply can't.

Good choice.

wayabvpar
12-08-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A) Pink Floyd
B) The Wall
C) Comfortably Numb
D) 17
E) Drug-Influenced

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is almost exactly the same. I was 18, first year in college. Came back from a party completely hammered, and sat in a buddy's dorm room with a couple of folks and listened to The Wall. When Comfortably Numb came on, I heard it for the first time.

Been one of my fav songs ever since.

MonkeeMan
12-08-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By 18 I hope you have moved on to other music

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF. To what? Easy Listening?

RunDownHouse
12-08-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You /images/graemlins/heart.gif Ani Defranco too don't you...

[/ QUOTE ]
...because she's one of the best singer/songwriters alive.

whiskeytown
12-08-2005, 01:50 PM
High School -

Simon and Garfunkel/Beatles/Crosby, Stills, and Nash

- this is in 1989 - I could identify with that music over what was current (Metal) and because it was so lyrically heavy, it made me dig deeper into albums and music...

At this point you might think I started listening - I didnt

==================================

I sought an identity in that time period focused on lyrics, but didn't hear music really - but my 2nd year in college I would branch from there into some exotic sounds, like Paul Simon's Graceland and South African bands like Juluka and Phil Keaggy (A christian guitar player who has the most unreal guitar skills I've ever seen) - and all this new music and sounds reminded there was more then just AM/C/G - and I really began and explore and listen to ALL music.

it was always about the lyrics and the music though, almost never for the image or commercial radio cut...but obviously, but really great lyrics or music can forgive a lot for me. I've been loyal to musicians who should have stopped playing 10 years ago well into the 50K and 700 album sales range.

and then there are singers like Emmylou Harris, who can take any song they sing, no matter how good or bad, and turn it into gold - but that's another story - /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RB

Blarg
12-08-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don’t think 15 is young for the Doors. 15 is when you are supposed to discover the Doors and think you are the only one who understands Jim and vice versa. By 18 I hope you have moved on to other music or you will turn that guy who lives with their parents still, driving a "bitchin" car and most probably have some sort of wispy facial hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's one thing I don't believe in regarding music, it's "moving on" because you think you're smarter or slicker or more experienced. That's like saying you can't like comedy anymore because now you're into drama and have grown up a lot, or that now that you've matured you realize Disney sucks. Take things for what they are or you're being dishonest with yourself. The people who think they're "progressing" by changing the music they're listening to mostly make me laugh. Especially since they're both usually just moving from one crappy band to another and because they're often so desperate that everybody knows they're listening to "the right music" now. The music hasn't changed or gained or lost any worth. They're just trippin' on themselves and hurrying to congratulate themselves for their imagined evolving heightened state of grooviness.

I also don't think of people who listen to The Doors the way you do at all. You sound like you're speaking from very personal experience with your peculiar imagery and very narrow image of the Doors music and the "type" of person who listens to them.

I think you've give us a slice of personal biography and where your thinking is at rather than said anything cogent about either music or the Doors in that post.

man
12-08-2005, 06:29 PM
A) Hendrix
B) Best of, or something
C) Castles Made Of Sand
D) 15

I started listening to music when I started to play the guitar, and this song I first heard a few weeks after I picked it up.

12-08-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's one thing I don't believe in regarding music, it's "moving on" because you think you're smarter or slicker or more experienced. That's like saying you can't like comedy anymore because now you're into drama and have grown up a lot, or that now that you've matured you realize Disney sucks. Take things for what they are or you're being dishonest with yourself. The people who think they're "progressing" by changing the music they're listening to mostly make me laugh. Especially since they're both usually just moving from one crappy band to another and because they're often so desperate that everybody knows they're listening to "the right music" now. The music hasn't changed or gained or lost any worth. They're just trippin' on themselves and hurrying to congratulate themselves for their imagined evolving heightened state of grooviness.

I also don't think of people who listen to The Doors the way you do at all. You sound like you're speaking from very personal experience with your peculiar imagery and very narrow image of the Doors music and the "type" of person who listens to them.

I think you've give us a slice of personal biography and where your thinking is at rather than said anything cogent about either music or the Doors in that post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super! I still think the Doors suck.

offTopic
12-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Hi trotski,

Freshman year of HS (1982) I got a copy of the drum tablature for The Camera Eye by Rush, off of their Moving Pictures album. I listened to that song very closely, over and over, and have typically listened to music closely, picking out little details ever since.

I feel a sense of possibilities,
offTopic

jgorham
12-08-2005, 06:35 PM
A) Sublime
B) Forty Oz to Freedom
C) The whole album
D) 12 or 13

bobbyi
12-08-2005, 06:35 PM
a) The Dead
b) Live/ Dead
c) Dark Star
d) 17

Blarg
12-08-2005, 06:43 PM
I got into lots of albums in a huge way growing up, but I think the one that might have made one of the deepest down to the bone impressions on me, where I could practically smell and taste every beat and really grooved on every last detail of the music, was Remain in Light by The Talking Heads. Speaking in Tongues had a similar effect on me, but probably not as much. Remain in Light is definitely one of my favorite music experiences to this day.

Also Gang of Four. Though the music was simpler, it was really unusual in that the bass took the lead, and the lyrics were extremely witty and biting and angry.

And XTC did it for me too. I like really sonically dense music with lots of things going on musically on different levels, so you can choose to listen to different parts of the song instead of just basically having one thing thumped into your head over and over and nowhere else to go in the song besides that. And usually I like witty or incisive lyrics. I got into XTC's Senses Working Overtime enormously, and could listen to that over and over a ridiculous amount of times. Also Generals and Majors and many of their others.

Also a big fan of Peter Gabriel. The energy and range of So is phenomenal, and it's intensely musical. Liked his earlier ones too; Red Rain, Solisbury Hill, etc.

trotski
12-08-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A) Sublime
B) Forty Oz to Freedom
C) The whole album
D) 12 or 13

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes, this a great album, one of my faves.
As is The Wall. Pink Floyd is one of those bands that I listened to a few times when I was 13-14 and absolutley hated. Then, I revisited them about 19 or 20 y/o, and loved.

These are all great albums, 00t has great taste apparently.

trotski
12-08-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got into lots of albums in a huge way growing up, but I think the one that might have made one of the deepest down to the bone impressions on me, where I could practically smell and taste every beat and really grooved on every last detail of the music, was Remain in Light by The Talking Heads. Speaking in Tongues had a similar effect on me, but probably not as much. Remain in Light is definitely one of my favorite music experiences to this day.

Also Gang of Four. Though the music was simpler, it was really unusual in that the bass took the lead, and the lyrics were extremely witty and biting and angry.

And XTC did it for me too. I like really sonically dense music with lots of things going on musically on different levels, so you can choose to listen to different parts of the song instead of just basically having one thing thumped into your head over and over and nowhere else to go in the song besides that. And usually I like witty or incisive lyrics. I got into XTC's Senses Working Overtime enormously, and could listen to that over and over a ridiculous amount of times. Also Generals and Majors and many of their others.

Also a big fan of Peter Gabriel. The energy and range of So is phenomenal, and it's intensely musical. Liked his earlier ones too; Red Rain, Solisbury Hill, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Peter Gabriel's early Genesis stuff, dig that?

Blarg
12-08-2005, 06:53 PM
I came to hear him after that point, and don't remember his Genesis stuff particularly. I do think I liked a few of those, though. But mostly I think of Genesis when it had Phil Collins, who I couldn't stand. Although Collins' first solo album wasn't bad.

Blarg
12-08-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Super! I still think the Doors suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Up to you. That's a clearer and better statement than all the strange personal associations you had regarding them.

dizong
12-08-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

B)Album (AYE?)

[/ QUOTE ]

A) Hendrix
B) Are You Experienced?
C) Are You Experienced? (especially the guitar solo)
D) 15

12-08-2005, 08:56 PM
When I was around 18 or 19 I remember listening to "YYZ" by Rush on their "Moving Pictues" album and realizing that Geddy Lee was a great bass player.

I also remember listening to The Ramones "Rocket to Russia" album when I was around 14 -15 and thinking "Hey I can play that".

MyTurn2Raise
12-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Radiohead--The bends
Planet Telex
15 or 16

Jack of Arcades
12-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Fuel, Sunburn, Shimmer, 14.

12-08-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
E) Drug influenced?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol no [censored]. How about you re-title this thread "when did you start being a god damn hippie?" You're not "listening" to anything, no matter how bad you want to, unless YOU put it there.

miajag81
12-08-2005, 10:03 PM
A) Beethoven
B) Symphony No. 9
C) Movement 4
D) Probably about 11 or 12.

lastchance
12-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Hendrix
Little Wing
(no clue what the album is)

12-09-2005, 01:44 AM
A)Pink Floyd
B)The Wall
C)whole album
D)16 or 17
E)no, but I felt like I was

My friend, Thomas, also an OOTer, had just bought this album and we stuck it in my cd player and just crashed out on my waterbed. We must have heard that thing on loop 4 or 5 times and were just amazed...and then we made out...j/k...about the making out part.

Redd
12-09-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A) Hendrix
B) Best of, or something
C) Castles Made Of Sand
D) 15

I started listening to music when I started to play the guitar, and this song I first heard a few weeks after I picked it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's super duper awesome that somebody managed to mention Castles Made of Sand.

EMcWilliams
12-09-2005, 01:52 AM
Weezer, Pinkerton, Across the sea, 16

rbenuck4
12-09-2005, 01:54 AM
A) Phish
B) Junta disc 1
C) Divided Sky
D) 16
E) Obviously

pauliewalnuts
12-09-2005, 02:09 AM
A. Creed
B Higher
C Human Clay
D 22(last week)

Claunchy
12-09-2005, 04:31 AM
A. Nirvana
B. Nevermind
C. I dunno, probably Lithium stuck out most for me at the time.
D. 12-13
E. No, I wasn't doing drugs when I was 12

Now that I think about it, it was definitely Drain You.

12-09-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A. Creed
B Higher
C Human Clay
D 22(last week)

[/ QUOTE ]

(NOT A FLAME!)
seriously?

12-09-2005, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A. Creed
B Higher
C Human Clay
D 22(last week)

[/ QUOTE ]

(NOT A FLAME!)
seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

please tell me you're a christian. Not as a flame or anything, but Im firmly convinced that the only way someone could garner anything good from creed was if they shared his beliefs

12-09-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Up to you. That's a clearer and better statement than all the strange personal associations you had regarding them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding right? Please god tell me you don’t take yourself that seriously. It's a dig on the Doors. I could have made the same stupid generalizations about any huge band from the early 70's. You cannot seriously say you don't know "that guy" who lives at home, still hangs around with high school kids, smokes pot and listens to the Doors, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, the Dead religiously. And if you don't, yes they exist and generally smell bad.

I can’t believe I'm trying to explain this....

zephed
12-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
Whole Lotta Love-THE SOLO after the effects interlude just blew my mind. Bonzo's drum fill intro, to Bonham, Jones and Page dropping those double stop bombs, searing guitar solos in between them. I just couldn't believe it. It really is amazing that somebody came up with that.
11-13?

zephed
12-09-2005, 09:06 AM
The Doors DON'T suck though. You just think they do, and that's fine. The Eagles, however...

The Truth
12-09-2005, 09:18 AM
DMX
Its dark and hell is hot
track 1
16?

ChipWrecked
12-09-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to really listen. Then I got old. Now it's pretty much just something I hear in the background.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is frighteningly true, but I'll weigh in anyway:

A) Led Zeppelin
B) IV
C) When the Levee Breaks
D) 14
E) Not yet....

Slow Play Ray
12-09-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Comfortably Numb...Then the guitar solo at the end came in and just took it home...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was talking about this w/ someone the other day - that solo is the greatest studio guitar solo EVER recorded. Man, it's just so...awsem.

Slow Play Ray
12-09-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A. Creed
B Higher
C Human Clay
D 22(last week)

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

just...no.

ChipWrecked
12-09-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Comfortably Numb...Then the guitar solo at the end came in and just took it home...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was talking about this w/ someone the other day - that solo is the greatest studio guitar solo EVER recorded. Man, it's just so...awsem.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the vinyl you can see the difference in the grooves where this solo starts. So you could play just the solo again, and again, and again......

12-09-2005, 10:39 AM
A.Eminem
B.Till I collapse
C.Eminem Show
D.18
E.No, not yet, I kinda wish

every. syllable. is. perfect.

greatest rap song ever.

pauliewalnuts
12-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Yeah, that was joke. I really meant With Arms Wide Open.

Actually, I figured that someone putting Creed on here was so unbelievable that no one would even have to ask if it was a joke.

trotski
12-09-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that was joke. I really meant With Arms Wide Open.

Actually, I figured that someone putting Creed on here was so unbelievable that no one would even have to ask if it was a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whew. Thank God, I thought for sure someone was going to say, "YSSCKY".

12-09-2005, 05:07 PM
A)Stevie Ray Vaughan
B)Greatest Hits (?)
C)Little Wing (cover)
D) 20.

I had played guitar a little before borrowing this CD, but this really kindled my interest.

And later, it really made me realize how badly I sucked at guitar and that I would always suck.

It's a love/hate relationship, really.

12-09-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A Oasis
B Definitely Maybe
C Live Forever
D 20
E Yes

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

deepdowntruth
12-09-2005, 09:59 PM
A. The The
B. Dusk
C. True Happiness This Way Lies
D. 17

MyTurn2Raise
12-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Second revelation (along with radiohead song mentioned earlier)

Ani difranco
self-titled
Both Hands

mj12
12-09-2005, 11:53 PM
n sync
bye bye bye