PDA

View Full Version : Am I Cheating Myself?

macdaddy991
12-08-2005, 05:05 AM
I recently made the jump to 2/4 and 3/6 and have found the party BBJ tables to be incredibly soft. I have built a good roll there, however I wonder if I am I hurting my potental for higher limits? I would like to keep working my way up, and do not want too easy of a limit to stunt my growth as a player. I am interested in thoughts by players who have passed this point, and where they went from here.

shant
12-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Speaking from my personal experience, I went to 5/10 6-max for a while after 3/6. I went to 10/20 full from 5/10 6-max.

This was before Party had 3/6 6-max tables. I think that should be your next stop. There are many skills important to moving into the higher limits that you pick up and practice in 6-max play.

hobbsmann
12-08-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking from my personal experience, I went to 5/10 6-max for a while after 3/6. I went to 10/20 full from 5/10 6-max.

This was before Party had 3/6 6-max tables. I think that should be your next stop. There are many skills important to moving into the higher limits that you pick up and practice in 6-max play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shant is wise, listen. 6 max is a great learning ground for blind play that is need in the mid and higher limits. Furthermore, people suck bad at 6max so there is a lot of money to be made.

macdaddy991
12-08-2005, 05:23 AM
When I first started playing limit seriously, I resolved to play 20k hands at each limit before I moved up. Since my move to 2/4, I have began to wonder if that process is too slow. (I only play about 6k hands a month). I have conteplated taking shots at higher limits, but wonder if I should just stick to my original plan.

It gets more complicated because I have been running very well at 2/4. I feel that I have also been playing my A game, but still I am running hot.

Shant, would you say that it is wise to play 10k hands at 2/4 ring and then just jump to 3/6 six max? If that is where the next plateau of skills lie then I think I will be heading there soon.

shant
12-08-2005, 05:31 AM
I don't really have hand levels for moving up because like you I tend to play less than the 15-30K/hand per month crowd.

I moved up to 5/10 when I had 500BB because that is what I felt comfortable with. I assume you play 3/6 full right now, as well as 2/4? If you have a comfortable bankroll for 3/6, I think you should start playing 3/6 6-max to start learning more there. I would prepare for this change by reading a lot of the short-handed forum threads.

macdaddy991
12-08-2005, 05:39 AM
Thnak you.

I should probably just take out the tampon and step up. I have a comfortable roll for 5/10, so 3/6 six max shouldn't be a problem mentally speaking. I may spend the next week or 2 rereading all my poker literature. That combined with SSSH reading should put me where I need to be. I guess you can't grow until you put yourself in situations where you realize how much you suck.

shant
12-08-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess you can't grow until you put yourself in situations where you realize how much you suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
In my experience, 6-max will do a relentless job helping you realize this.