PDA

View Full Version : Am I a complete idiot?

bunky9590
07-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Online tourney, NLHE, @ UB.
400 entries now like 75 left and top 50 cash. I have T3800, blinds are 150-300.

Fast player to my right in mid position makes it 600 to go i have A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif , I raise to 1500. Everyone folds and he makes it 3000 to go I push all in. He has 7500 in chips and has made moves with AT, A9, AJ.

I know to get aggressive near the bubble and I picked this time. Anyone able to lay this down in this situation?

Results to follow. Opinions needed, (Help please)

Rickfish
07-14-2003, 08:58 AM
Doesn't seem like you did much wrong. Possibly if you were prepared to call the re-raise you could go all-in yourself but I suppose if other people come into the pot you will not fancy your hand much any more. A call wouldn't be completely wrong and may even get the money when he has A9, AT, AJ, etc when an Ace flops and he would have probably folded to a re-raise. The trouble with calling is say the flop is 852 and he bets - now you have to decide whether he has a pair or Ax and if you'd gone all-in you wouldn't have had the problem. In addition, he may fold small or medium pairs to an all-in bet.

When he comes back at you he must be stronger than Ax but you can't put 1500 chips in the pot then fold this hand.

punkass
07-14-2003, 10:44 AM
It sounds like he may have your hand. Minimum raisers tend to do that with AKs. They also do this with a medium pocket pair. For sure, he would've put you all in (if a somewhat decent player) after you raised if he had AA or KK.

So eliminating medium pocket pairs, he should then have low pocket pairs, or a variation of A-high, such as AQ or ATs.

You kill whatever A-lower kicker he may have. And it's a slight coin toss if he has a pocket pair. After he raises the minimum on your raise, I think you're in it, and I would've gone all in there too. It's not a move I am happy doing, mind you. But I would do it nonetheless and hope he didn't slowplay a monster on you.

Ignatius
07-14-2003, 11:43 AM
I don't like your reraise to T1500. When it first got to you, a pot sized raise would have been to T2350 which is about 2/3 of your stack, so you should move in right here as any smaller raise would commit anyway, you might push him off medium pairs, assure to see all 5 cards when called and punish him if he tends to overvalue hands like AQ-A9.

bunky9590
07-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Well, he called me with 88. a king hit on the turn but a four card straight with 5,6,7, & 9 on the board gave him the pot. Not crying bad beat, because he did have me preflop, but I was wondering if I did blow it in that situation. Thanks for the reassurance.