PDA

View Full Version : Finish this sentence for me...

12-08-2005, 03:02 AM
I'll put in a couple different sentences, but I think you'll get the gist.

"I wish more games nowadays would have...."

"I wish they would bring this back..."

basically, what do you miss about your old school games when you play newfangled ones?

Game development will be my career, and I want to bring it back to the old school.

The only thing I really look to as a return to oldschool is that visceral feeling you got... the total control over your character you had.

If you wanted megaman to jump left, shoot right then left all while landing on a tiny platform, you could.

Now, you'd need to press 6 buttons to do the same thing. If I ever get the chance to design a controller, I will place nearly all the buttons on the back, at the fingertips, leaving the front solely to movement aparatus.

but I digress... so lemme know, what do you miss.

12-08-2005, 03:15 AM
I wish games nowadays would have good endings.

12-08-2005, 03:16 AM
I miss watching semi-scrambled pronos

12-08-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

throw me a couple of old game examples with good endings.

Im writing the story backbone for a game wherein the ending is 100% based on the player's actions... who they trusted, who they killed, how they stopped the cataclysm... supposed to be a question of morality... crazy.

12-08-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

throw me a couple of old game examples with good endings.

Im writing the story backbone for a game wherein the ending is 100% based on the player's actions... who they trusted, who they killed, how they stopped the cataclysm... supposed to be a question of morality... crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chrono Trigger
Zelda: A Link to the Past (cheesy though)
Maniac Mansion

Man... I know there's so many more

KneeCo
12-08-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

better camera work.

12-08-2005, 03:24 AM
Metal Gear Solid! Probably the best ever!

Spaded
12-08-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Randomness (Diablo)
AI based on algorithms (Radiant AI in Oblivion?: 2006)
Animation based on algorithms (Spore: 2006/7)

Basically, replayability comes from randomness because your experience is always unique and you are constantly seeng new things.

12-08-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Randomness (Diablo)
AI based on algorithms (Radiant AI in Oblivion?: 2006)
Animation based on algorithms (Spore: 2006/7)

Basically, replayability comes from randomness because your experience is always unique and you are constantly seeng new things.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats kinda crazy, because Im developing my first AI module not in a book, and making it hard on myself because I want to use algorithms, which is harder to do in a city setting than in open areas as much of oblivion is.

great answer, thanks.