PDA

View Full Version : KK, Value at Risk

lehighguy
12-07-2005, 09:57 PM
$600NL 6max

Hero has KK on button

Deep stacks, I have $1000, BB has me covered.
Pretty loose table, but no maniacs.

UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, Hero raises to $36 (6xbb), BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 6,5,3 rainbow
Pot: $140

Check, Check, Check, Hero bets $130, BB calls, fold, fold.

Turn: 5
Pot: $400
BB checks, Hero ???

I don't think my opponent is on a draw of any kind. There is no flush, the only preflop hand he could cold call $36 OOP and have a draw is 44.

More likely, I think he has either AA, a set, or a lower overpair (88-QQ).

I can maybe see him committing his stack with QQ. Fish do strange things, but 88-JJ is a little less likely with these deep stacks. If I bet turn again, I'm committing my whole deep stack if he has set or AA. And he may fold thigns I beat.

I elected to check. If he bets river, call. If he checks, bet. I think this controls the pot size and minimizes potential loss.

Net result: He had JJ. He bet 1/2 pot on river and I called. Would a min-raise here make any sense?

Raven
12-07-2005, 10:39 PM
you played it the standard way for me. I would end up playing it the same way most of the time. I dont think a raise on the river is on order most of the time, but I would do a min-raise against a loose caller.

ansky451
12-07-2005, 11:15 PM
I don't mind just calling the river, but make sure you remember that this guy makes blocking bets, and you can take advantage in the future.

If he checked river full pot bet would look pretty good too.

Leptyne
12-07-2005, 11:15 PM
I think the way you played it is fine. He either has QQ, 44, or a set. AA and KK unimproved are not monsters. The check behind on the turn is standard and puts villain in a situation where it's easy to make a mistake. Against an unknown the call is correct.

Maulik
12-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Nicely played. How do you play this hand if there are two flush cards up?

tdomeski
12-07-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind just calling the river, but make sure you remember that this guy makes blocking bets, and you can take advantage in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this guy knows that you know that he makes blocking bets so you can "take advantage" in the future you may get into some trouble.

As for the hand I think that's pretty standard. I would probably prefer a push on the river over a min raise if you were to raise though.

Leptyne
12-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Im still relatively new at 6-Max so I'm stuck with a lot of thinking that was ingrained at full-ring. Specifically I don't give a free card one when card can beat me. At 6-max I'm amazed at the raises people will call with suited connectors and gap suited like KJ and QT, as well as 8-6. My response is to vary my starting hands so you never know if I'm bringing it in with 9Ts, AKs, etc. I don't want to get the reputation of folding everytime a scarecard hits so I rely on Natedogg's (TAFKAn) rule of thumb.

Natedogg's (TAFKAn) Rule of Thumb (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=plnlpoker&Number=171029&Fo rum=,f5,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=170951& Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=315&daterange=1&new erval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#P ost171029)

lehighguy
12-08-2005, 04:34 AM
If opponent is loose and there is flush, I bet pot on turn, go all in on river.

If I have AA I bet pot on turn and all in on river. I get paid off enough by fish to risk it. I now beat an extra hand and lose to one less hand.

Big_Jim
12-08-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so you never know if I'm bringing it in with 9Ts, AKs, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a wild man.

Lucky
12-08-2005, 04:41 AM
you played it fine. If you're not sure of your read, dont raise river, tho against some players you'll bump it every time there.

scdavis0
12-08-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so you never know if I'm bringing it in with 9Ts, AKs, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a wild man.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's an animal!