PDA

View Full Version : 22s: TPTK spot makes me vomit

12-07-2005, 09:33 PM
I don't have the history on this one, but I remember most details.

Blinds: 50/100.

Action: EP limps, LP limps, I have red AQ on the button. I'm chipleader with around 3000. No real reads, except for lots of loose calls preflop. I limp. SB limps and BB checks. 5 to the flop.

FLOP (500) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checks to me on the button. I bet 400, happy to take it down, and giving 2.25 to 1 on flush draws. SB calls as does LP limper?!

TURN (1700) 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB leads for 500. He has about 1500 behind. LP folds. HERO?? What hands check/call that flop and weak lead the turn? Is it a huge mistake to limp here preflop when I'm not sure I can get heads up with a 300 chip raise?

splashpot
12-07-2005, 09:35 PM
I would have raised preflop to at least 350.

gumpzilla
12-07-2005, 09:37 PM
I think it's conceivable that A /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif, A /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif, or KQ style holdings can behave in this way. (EDIT: These are the hands you'd like to see. It's also conceivable that some sets behave this way, maybe some weirdo two pair holdings.) I'd probably just call here and call small-moderate bets on the river if it blanks off. If a club comes and he pushes, I think he can have it.

mlagoo
12-07-2005, 09:42 PM
not raising preflop is a big mistake. do that, and the hand plays a lot easier (you can get a lot more chips in on the flop, possibly getting the villian allin when you have TPTK. which is nice).

DDH
12-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I bet 400, happy to take it down

If that's the case, then simply raise preflop and get it over with.

12-07-2005, 11:29 PM
O.k., not raising preflop was a mistake which made it harder to play the hand. Given that, how do you guys react to the check/call weak lead from SB?

jwvdcw
12-07-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
O.k., not raising preflop was a mistake which made it harder to play the hand. Given that, how do you guys react to the check/call weak lead from SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly your move is either to fold or push. Think it over, pick one, and live with the results.

12-08-2005, 03:35 AM
I pushed and got shown a set of 3s.

His line from SB seemed odd to me. On the flop, he risked it getting checked around with 2 to a flush on the board, and if I hadn't bet it would've been. Then, when I do bet, he smoothcalls and lets another guy in behind.

His weak lead at the pot is the strangest part of the hand. If I had the nut flush draw, I (or LP checkcaller) would be getting the 4 to 1 apparent odds I needed to call his 500 to possibly win a pot of 2200.... I had not made any really aggressive plays at the table so he couldn't depend on me being an overaggressive donk and betting the turn for him, which is the only way I suppose a weak lead on a blank turn makes sense here. The other explanation for his weak lead was that he was pricing his own draw in. If he did have a pair + flush draw, and I did just call, he would've gotten to the river at a +EV price. The goofy betting pattern, my estimation of my own table image, and the fact that I didn't want to give hands I was slightly ahead of a cheap river led me to push....

Anyway, the whole hand left me feeling completely pwned. Next time I'll raise preflop and play it from there.

gisb0rne
12-08-2005, 03:51 AM
I think you're thinking too much about the results. For every player who has a set/2 pair in this spot there's some donk with a flush draw or top pair, weak kicker or even something worse.

I raise all-in on the turn. I would have raised pre-flop though.