PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you been pulled over...

Slow Play Ray
12-07-2005, 08:10 PM
...in your lifetime (whether you got a ticket or not)?

*Edit* I just realized I'm an idiot...pretend "10-14" says "11-14"...duh.

daryn
12-07-2005, 08:11 PM
once. ticket, no warning. i was totally respectful to the cop too. wasn't even going too fast. maybe 40 in 35. BS

kyro
12-07-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
once. ticket, no warning. i was totally respectful to the cop too. wasn't even going too fast. maybe 75 in 55 where the average speed is 70. BS

[/ QUOTE ]

McGahee
12-07-2005, 08:13 PM
I've gotten 2 tickets, pulled over 5-6 times. It seems I only get a ticket when I'm sober. Cops are weird.

miajag81
12-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Lots.

- Once for following too closely (warning)
- Once for running a red light (ticket)
- Once for reckless driving (warning!)
- Once for suspected DWI (leaving a party, had had 3 or 4 beers, blew a 0.0 on the breathalyzer /images/graemlins/shocked.gif)
- Six times for speeding (two warnings, four tickets)

I've also gotten a couple tickets from red light cameras.

I don't think I'm a reckless or unsafe driver at all; most of these incidents were in college when I drove a Lexus coupe with tinted-out windows that was a total cop-magnet.

WackityWhiz
12-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Never, I rule the road in my Legend

12-07-2005, 08:24 PM
this happened just over a month ago on halloween..firstly, i'm 20 and go to school in NC....i pick up my buddy b/c we were going to get some weed and some beer...he's also 20 and had a fake ID so he can always buy alcohol....we go get the weed, pick up the beer, and we're heading back to his frat house....i'm playing my music loud so i'm naturally driving fairly quickly....i see a cop facing me on the median as i pass him (its night so i couldn't see him until i got real close)...i look int he rearview and i see him turn his lights on...i freak out b/c there's beer in my backseat uncovered and we have pot....i try to outrun and and turn right just down the road...there's a church on the right so i quickly pull in there behind it and stop...i see the cop go flying by....i pulled back out but you can't take a left b/c of the median...i pull out right thru the light and the cop knew i ducked in somewhere so he had made a u-turn...i go flying thru the intersection and he pulls up behind me....i pull over and look at my buddy and say, sorry man, we're goin to jail..i fully thought i was going to jail for the night...the cop is f***ing livid at me....after talkign to him he's lets me off with a 53 in a 35...he never saw the beer in the backseat and my buddy hid the pot under his seat....i thought for sure i was f***ed....still have to make an appearance in court but my lawyer will handle those shannanigans....

12-07-2005, 08:24 PM
So far no one has picked over the 9-10 amount. I guess there haven't been any visable minorities yet.

12-07-2005, 08:25 PM
whoops, i guess i should have put that under the other thread...oh well

zephed
12-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Lots, I used to drive an old VW Beetle.

12-07-2005, 08:34 PM
both times i got pulled over, i had possesion with intent to distribute hands staring me in the face, and i ended up with two $80 tickets for speeding. new mexico cops are dumb. i was dumber for speeding with enough drugs to land me in jail for awhile. meh.

B Dids
12-07-2005, 08:35 PM
3 times, two tickets. Speeding, speeding and speeding.

12-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Yeah that's what I was going to say chili. What did the cop say to you?
Oh btw, I've been pulled over I guess 7-8 times for various things, the most recent, my license plate lights being out!
It helps to have a hot girl/girlfiend in the car with you when you get pulled over, cops go way easier.

offTopic
12-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Hi SPR,

I'm one-for-one. To add insult to injury, I was driving my parents home from Lake Tahoe on Mother's Day weekend, and the guy still gave me a ticket (for passing after the passing lane had ended on US50).

Friggin' Jon & Ponch,
offTopic

Brom
12-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Is this illegal for you? We learn in driver's ed that the dashed/solid centre lines are only recommended passing times, and can not be enforced as law.

TheIrishThug
12-07-2005, 08:45 PM
never, i'm a perfect angel.

well technically i don't own a car so that limits the ammount of time i am actually driving

MrTrik
12-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Two for racing in HS.
Two for illegal turns downtown. No left between 4-6pm. Ack.
One for expired tabs.
One for speeding and it was a bummer. 99 in a 55. That one hurt.

Nothing for the last 10 yrs tho.

TimM
12-07-2005, 08:50 PM
1. Speeding and driving after 9 with junior license - 2 tickets ~ 1983
2. Illegal U-turn - ticket ~ 1984
3. Speeding - ticket ~ 1984
4. Broken tail light, Expired inspection - ticketed for tailight (dismissed by fixing within 24 hours), warning for inspection ~ 1985
5. Expired inspection - warning ~ 1987
6. Expired inspection - ticket ~ 1987 (same day as #5!)
(I had a P.O.S. '76 Nova that was hard to get to pass inspection by this point. Car finally died after this.)
7. Speeding - ticket ~ 1990
8. Expired inspection - ticket (had a cracked windshield and wouldnt pass until replaced) ~ mid 90's
9. Speeding - warning ~ 2000

Maybe one more I can't think of, so 9-10.

rohjoh
I cannot even count how many times I have been pulled over, but I can tell you I have been to traffic school 10 times, and alcohol class (open container) once.

Los Feliz Slim
Many, many times. The first time was 2 weeks after my parents bought me a car when I was 17. It was a Dodge Colt and was a total piece of crap, but I was the first of my friends to have a car. I was trying to prove it could go fast and got tagged doing 73 in a 40 zone next to a little league field. Telling my parents went very, very, badly.

d10
Way more than I can remember, but it's definitely 15+. If I had to guess, I'd put the number somewhere around 30.

12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
How am I the only one with 15+? I must have had at least 10 exhibition of speed warnings and tickets in high school alone. Not to mention speeding, failure to signal, avoiding a traffic control device........Ive gotten tickets in 6 different states, and found out the hard way that not paying a ticket in a state you dont reside in can lead to suspension of you license. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

B Dids
12-07-2005, 08:53 PM
This thread is making me think that a lot of you are really dumb.

How the [censored] do you get pulled over more than 10 times and not realize that behaving as you are currently is a bad idea.

12-07-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread is making me think that a lot of you are really dumb.

How the [censored] do you get pulled over more than 10 times and not realize that behaving as you are currently is a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Most of things I do are bad ideas. I also grew up in a relatively small city and was able to talk my way out of a lot tickets. Why stop doing burnouts at stop lights when I only get warnings? Of course this was when I was in HS and thought doing burnouts was cool.

offTopic
12-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi Brom,

US50 is by Lake Tahoe is, at times, a 2-lane mountain road. Occasionally, one direction will get a temporary passing lane. When that lane is about to end, there is a sign that says, "Passing Lane Ends", followed by another sign that says, "Do Not Pass", and an indicator that the passing lane is about to end.

I completed my pass after the dashed line ended and after the sign, but before "running out of road" (meaning at no time did I cross the yellow line into oncoming traffic).

Ironically (maybe this isn't really "ironic", I'm sure the English nits here will correct me if it isn't) the whole incident ended up costing me almost exactly what I won gambling that weekend.

Breaking the law,
offTopic

daryn
12-07-2005, 09:05 PM
not ironic

nothing nitty about this point either. it's a word, learn the meaning!

mostsmooth
12-07-2005, 09:05 PM
im pretty sure ive been pulled over at least 30 times

offTopic
12-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi daryn,

Coincidentally, then?

Don't you think,
offTopic

daryn
12-07-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi daryn,

Coincidentally, then?

Don't you think,
offTopic

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.kardwell.com/images/esy-rd-bingo-hcard.jpg

Warik
12-07-2005, 09:12 PM
1. Doing 78 in a 65 zone. Guy in front of me was driving too slow and I was trying to get around him. It was my first time ever getting pulled over, I was very polite, and it was a week before Christmas. ~$150 ticket.

2. Doing 36 in a 30 zone. This is what I was doing, but not what the cop said I was doing. The cop said I was doing 36 in a SCHOOL ZONE even though he told me to pull over BEFORE I entered the school zone AND there were no flashing lights or anything. Again, I was polite and indicated that even if I were traveling 16mph, it would be impossible to know that school was in session. He didn't care and gave me a $325 ticket anyway.

3. It was 4 AM and my friend and I were on the home after having worked from 8 AM moving the entire business to a new office by ourselves completely for free because my boss is a cheap scumbag son of a... oops sorry went off on a tangent... anyway, I get pulled over for taking a yellow light when my car and the cop car are the only cars for miles (I didn't see him at all). He claims I ran a red light. This time, there was no politeness. I was pissed off and so was my friend. I told the cop he was wrong and my friend was being rude to the cop. I'd even go so far as to say that we were both being dicks. I went home with no ticket that night.

Go figure.

12-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Pulled over once for speeding, got a ticket (40 in a 25 school zone)

Could have gotten in much more trouble a couple months later. I was driving home with the lady after a party, and she suggests we pull over for "something." I take the hint and pull over ASAP. So a minute later I'm on top of her in the reclined passenger seat, and I see a cop approach. He stops next to the car, waits about 5 seconds, and drives off. Needless to say, I went home that night with a set of blue balls like no other.

Not only is it illegal in VA to have sex in a vehicle, but the police here are super strict on drunk driving and underage drinking. If you are charged in with DUI in VA, it is on your record for 7 years, regardless of whether or not you get convicted. I personally think that's BS, but what can I do.

EMcWilliams
12-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Ive been pulled over 7 times, 0 tickets. God bless professional curtesy (read: Dad's a cop, uncles a cop, cousins a cop). They see the shield in the wallet and just look at you, and send you along on your merry way.

B Dids
12-07-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im pretty sure ive been pulled over at least 30 times

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think this is impossible without jail or you just hoovering state trooper cock like it's going out of style.

mostsmooth
12-07-2005, 09:46 PM
not impossible at all
my total is boosted by the fact that i: was into street racing, drove my 95 mustang up until 2003 with an inspection sticker that was due in 97, rarely wear seatbelts, find it difficult to keep my 01gix1000 anywhere near a speed limit, got 3 tickets almost immediately after getting my license.
i have 0 points on my license (now)

tdarko
12-07-2005, 09:55 PM
15+

actual tickets: i think 7?
warnings: 10+
no warning, just let go: dozens

i drive fast and i know this but i am surprised at how many people have either never had a ticket or only had one. i would be interested in an age range comparison to tickets as well.

EDIT: now that i think about it i am at a little bit of a disadvantage since i have driven all over the country. out of my 7 tickets (that i can think of at this moment?) only 2 are in texas and the other 5 have been in different states

goofball
12-07-2005, 10:10 PM

1. Speeding, 70 in 50. Just over the I-5 bridge into OR but just before the limit changed back to 55.
2. Speeding, 85 in a 65, $300 ticket ([censored] hood river, OR). Oh yeah, so it was on I-84 E and I slowed down to about 50, pulled into the right lane, and cruised the remaining half mile or so to the exit and the town and a lit area. Cops supposedly understand if you don't want to pull over on the dark freeway but this one didn't. As soon as we stopped every car in the hood river police department surrounded us and he slowly approached with his hand on his gun. Then he lecutred me THEN he gave me the ticket. Bastard.

3. Speeding, around 85 in a 70, verbal warning only. Fortunetly for me it was about 500 yards from pierce county where the speed limit is lower and they don't look so kindly on that kind of thing.

4. "Driving without lights on" (but really suspicious of DUI). I just pulled away from the bar and hadn't turned on my lights so he pulled me over. Talked to me for a bit, I had actually had two beers so that's what I told him /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. He quickly figured out I wasn't drunk at all though.

5. Speed trap on I-90 east out of seattle, 80 or something I dunno in a 65.

6. Expired plates. The cop was pretty cool though, he didn't even want to write me a ticket but then I'd forgotten to change my insurance card and it was expired. So there I was in an unregistered car with no proof of insurance and out of state plates. He wrote me the ticket for insurance to cover his own ass and then I got it dismissed later at court.

12-07-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm in the 15 plus category with probably 7-8 tickets. I was on a hell of a streak until I was 18 or so. I had been pulled over 4 times with no ticket. The end of the streak was kind of humorous.

I was going to a party with 5 friends in my car. Most of us had just dropped acid and had about 20 minutes before it kicked in. The house we were going to was about 5 miles away. I pulled up behind a car at a stop light and could see that there was an elderly guy behind the wheel talking to a kid in the seat next to him. The light turned green and they kept yakcing, so I honked at him. He turned around and glared at me. So [censored] him, and I passed him on the shoulder and sped off. Turns out he was an off-duty detective in an unmarked car. He called in a squad car so he could write me tickets for: improper use of a warning device, improper passing, and speeding. This was pretty weird with a head full of acid, but we all kept it together...

DrSavage
12-07-2005, 10:40 PM
I've never been pulled over and it never made sense to me since I tend to drive way too fast pretty much everywhere traffic conditions allow.

MonkeeMan
12-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Too many to recall, but I'm old.

One I do remember was getting stopped at gun point by two off-duty cops. They never searched my car which had 1/4 lb. under the front seat.

Another time got pulled over by 4 squad cars, major search, and they missed the 38 auto I had under the dash.

But I was young then.

12-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Over 20...serious. At least 3 times were for no reason or "looking suspicious". 2 times resulted in arrest for posession of marijuana (4 years ago - both times). Around 30% resulted in no ticket at all (experience with talking to cops). Taking that a step further, I've probably talked my way out of getting arrested at least 5 times (drunk driving, weed posession, etc). Things I've been pulled over for off the top of my head - speeding 3 or 4 times, running red light, illegal u turn, driving through a gas station, not using turn signal, not coming to complete stop while turning right at a light, headlight out, no seatbelt, on the phone, music too loud, driving in HOV lane...god I should just get a limo driver. Also, I've been pulled over by local po-po, state troopers, & one time a DT in a taxi cab when I was living in NYC (that was one of the "you looked suspicious" ones).

kipin
12-07-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never been pulled over and it never made sense to me since I tend to drive way too fast pretty much everywhere traffic conditions allow.

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes sense to me because I am always scanning way in front and behind looking for cops and am always the first to put the brakes on and slow down.

Just being observant and not going 50 miles over the speed limit helps to avoid tickets.

HtotheNootch
12-07-2005, 11:19 PM
If I had to guess well over thirty.

Tickets:

1) No seatbelt at 17 in NY;
2) Speeding in VA; and
3) No proof of insurance in Atlanta.

TheMetetron
12-07-2005, 11:22 PM
In the 5 years I've been driving, at least 20 times.

I'm Mexican, I drive a decently nice car for where I live. It happens.

Tickets, maybe 3-4. I've gotten out of about 3-4 times and the other 12+ times were just completely random BS in an attempt to fish for something.

12-07-2005, 11:28 PM
I've been pulled over 8 times had black guys in the car with me 6 of these times.

surfinillini
12-07-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm just straight unlucky when it comes to tickets:

Got my license in 1998 -

Ticket - 1999 - Failure to complete stop at stop sign
Warning - 1999 - Pulled over with lots of people in my SUV after leaving the scene of a school fight, luckily nobody was searched, we would've been fuct
Ticket - 2001 - Speeding

2004 was a bad year with 2005 not too far behind

Ticket - Jan. 2004 - Running a red light, granted it was late at night in South Central LA, the cop was a total dick and I guess I was too, whatever.
Ticket - June 2004 - Speeding in St Louis, was 20 over the limit but convinced the cop to make it 10 since I would not be returning to St Louis to court
Ticket - July 2004 - Speeding

Ticket - Feb 2005 - Crossing double lines in a preferential lane, leaving the carpool lane in the double line

Ticket - April 2005 - Solo driver in carpool lane in a freeway entrance

All in all I have two points but have never been into one accident. I'm just unlucky.

hobbsmann
12-07-2005, 11:36 PM
twice and got a ticket both times.

The first time I pulled a 'california roll' going 15 through a stop sign in high school. The second time I made a U-turn in a business district at 2 am when there were zero other people on the road at the time.

pokerclack
12-08-2005, 12:24 AM
I got stopped after i threw a plastic lid from my frosty at 2 AM on sat. I was going 90km/hr in a 60 and i saw the lights go on behind me and i slammed on the brakes. I did this so i wouldn't be able to get estimated speeding. The police officer came up to my door and said
"that was an expensive piece of garbage you threw out the window, not to mention you were going way over the speed limit"
I said sorry, he came back 35 minutes later and gave me a 200$ littering ticket, I said thanks.

Next day I went to court and it got cancelled because he did not cross off the offence notice showing i was the one commiting the crime, ticket got cancelled, I laughed.

CORed
12-08-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this illegal for you? We learn in driver's ed that the dashed/solid centre lines are only recommended passing times, and can not be enforced as law.

[/ QUOTE ]

Traffic laws vary by state, but yes, in most, if no all, of the US passing where there is a solid center line is illegal. In Colorado, and, I believe, most states, you required to complete your pass within the dashed line.

27offsuit
12-08-2005, 02:28 AM
15+
haven't gotten a ticket since I was 17 and the 15+ are post-17.

Actually, I got 1 and went to court and had it waived.

The key: It's all about respect, which is totally different from ass-kissing, which cops hate (especially staties).

Here is a real, unembellished story from no more than 2 months ago:

I hop on 495 heading to work on the Cape. I do 70-85 on a regular basis, but don't drive like a dick. I'm driving for about 3 minutes and BOOM, next thing I know a unmarked red car is flashing behind me. I pull over and the dude is glued to my bumper. After stopping, I put it in park, crack my window and <u>put my hands on the steering wheel</u> . Statie comes over to my window and in a pissed off tone says "I've had you at 85-90 for half a mile, license and registration". I say "I'm going to reach in my back pocket and get my license. Then I am going to reach into the glove and get my registration". I do that and as I hand him my stuff I look him in the eye and "No excuse". That's it. No more, no less.
He went back to his cruiser, wrote away for 5 minutes and came back with a WARNING for going 70 in a 65.

The moral of the story is three-fold:
1-Cops don't want you reachin' around the cab lookin' all suspicious and sh*t.
2-Cops hate 'boot-lickers', as they call them. Don't "No sir, Yes Officer" him to death.
3-Cops hate excuses. Don't give them.

Follow those rules and the only time you'll get a ticket is if the guy is just an asshat

Spaded
12-08-2005, 03:30 AM
I've been driving for 8 years now and I've been pulled over 0 times... I usually go 70-75 in the 65 zone (same speed as everyone else, if a tad faster), I did do a slow roll thru a stop sign in a residential area when a cop was behind me (didn't see the cop until it was too late), but to my shock he didn't pull me over! Just lucky i guess...

Slow Play Ray
12-08-2005, 08:42 AM
FWIW - I'm almost afraid to even say this, but I have been pulled over 9 times, and never gotten a ticket (*knocks on wood*). My strategy has always been to just be friendly (cops are people too), and always admit what I was doing wrong. It has been interesting to see what other people's ratios are.

P.S. I can only imagine how many more times I would have been pulled over if I didn't have a radar detector.

Evan
12-08-2005, 08:57 AM
1) Speeding, got spotted by "the helicopter" according to the cop. 75 on I-80 in North Carolina where the limit dropped to 55 for a construction zone. $125 ticket.
2) Speeding, got pulled over by a white Mustang. No ticket.
3) Running a stop sign at an intersection that NO ONE ever comes from. No ticket.
4) Driving on the wrong side of a windy back road to pass someone. I had to run home to get my extra putter before a high school golf match, I was running late and got caught behind a really slow truck. As I was right in the other lane a cop came around the bend about a quarter mile ahead and I pulled over before he even turned on his lights. No ticket, I have no idea how I got away with that one with only a "be careful, please".
5) Speeding, 80ish in a 65. Basically bs, no ticket.

I think that's it. I haven't really driven a car much since high school though. All of those were when I was 18 and younger.

Most of the truely danferous things I've done in a car were never caught.

MarkL444
12-08-2005, 09:48 AM
i got pulled over for driving too slow one time.

mrkilla
12-08-2005, 09:50 AM
I can't even list how many times I been pulled over and gotten tickets let alone with out. Lets just say this, Im 28 , I got my license at 17 I been revoked 4 times, suspended 25, and Im actually currently suspneded again.

No I don't learn....

Oh and I will add this I was arrested for driving once, no I wasn't drunk or had drugs or anything, I was just driving with a revoked lic (2 x over)

WDC
12-08-2005, 10:34 AM
7-8 pullovers two tickets

one i fought and won

the other was a small speeding ticket which i gladly accepted because all four of us in the car had open bottles which the cop never saw.

vexvelour
12-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I've been pulled over 3 times.

-Speeding (90 in 55), driving too close - warning.

-Broken back bumper cause some dumb bitch doing her makeup slammed into the back of me and the cops apparently think it's "unsafe" - warning to get it fixed

-Expired licence and registration TWO DAYS after my birthday, the cop hassled me for a while then said "Happy belated Birthday" - warning

Lesson: Grow bewbs. Also, having no blemishes on your record really, really, really helps.

Vavavoom
12-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Been pulled once....

That was for driving with no lights on..I had just pulled over to pick a gril up from a club and when I restarted the car I didn't realise I had no lights on...

My mistake was that I got out of the car as I knew what I had done wrong.....Whoops....