PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever tried to outrun the cops?

TheMainEvent
12-07-2005, 07:45 PM

slipoker
12-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I have outrun the cops perosnally (one time) and while I was the passenger, my friend outran them. Both involved street racing, we were not racing, we were watching, but if you watch you get your car impounded for 30 days, because it's treated the same as racing. So.... you can get your car impounded for 30 days, spend a night in jail, have your insurance go up a ton, or take your chances with 50 other people and run for it. We ran for it, and both times got away.

Oh yeah, I also ran when I was like 15 while I was stoned, hopped a fence, and fell right into some blackberry bushes, but managed to hide so the cop couldn't find me. I wasn't being a badass, I wouldn't have gotten anything, maybe a 25 dollar posession ticket, I was just stoned and didn't want to get caught? I don't know.

12-07-2005, 07:49 PM
on a school trip to miami when i was 15 or so, i was walking down the street with a group of my classmates when this crazy guy who was with us points out a pair of cops on the corner and says, 'watch this'. he stares down the cops, looking nervous/badass, then suddenly throws his bag into a trash can as he passes and takes off running at top speed. i don't know why, but the rest of us followed.

the cops of course chased us down. then we looked like idiots when we had to explain wtf we were doing, first to the cops, then to more cops, then to our chaperones, then to our parents.

4_2_it
12-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't recommend trying to outrun the radio or the dog.

Brom
12-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I've often fantasized about it whenever I see them drive by, probably a side effect of too much GTA. I've only been pulled over twice though. The first time I did nothing and wasn't given a ticket, the second time I got a speeding ticket for going 84 in an 80 (it was whack).

slipoker
12-07-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the second time I got a speeding ticket for going 84 in an 80 (it was whack).

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you get 80's..... Fastest we can go legally is 65 /images/graemlins/frown.gif

RunDownHouse
12-07-2005, 07:55 PM
A friend of mine is tearing down a residential road at night at about 60 (in a 30). A cop passes him going the other way and pretty much immediately hits the brakes and starts turning around. My friend made a quick turn onto the next side street, another quick turn up a culdesac, pulled in a driveway and turned off the car and ducked down. The cop flies by.

He waits a couple minutes, figures he's safe, and heads for home at a reasonable speed. A couple miles later (he was less than 10 miles from home the first time), the same or a different cop passes him going the other way. After a slight delay, the cop slams on the brakes and starts turning around. Friend hits the gas and turns on the next street, turns into a driveway next to a car already parked there, pulls the same trick. Waits a few minutes, then makes it home.

This was in high school, and no one was with him, so I'm not sure how much its exaggerated. I'm fairly sure that at least the first incident happened. He always drove like a bat out of hell and he drove a car almost exactly like this:
http://www.greylizard.net/images/fiestaxr2/fiestaxr2.jpg

Peca277
12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
I believe he's talking 80 KPH not MPH... which is 50 MPH.

daryn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you get 80's..... Fastest we can go legally is 65 /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm.. maybe km/h?

TheMainEvent
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that's KPH?

bicyclekick
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's from canada. It's 80km/h which is slower than 65mp/h.

mrkilla
been caught once , out ran them 2x, Smoke pot daily and Drive a 99 Z28 you and the cops become good friends for any number of reasons

The funniest story though is when I was about 18 , I had my 87 Camaro back then, I had just ducked out of the a side street blew the stop sign and fish tailed downt he block, cop came behind me , I ran for about 10 blocks and pulled over (what was a traffic light I made it like "Oh you were following me") so he was pretty pissed and wrote me 7 tickets [everything from a blown taillight to the air freshenr on the mirror (yes its illegal to hang stuff from a rearview) any case hes all done and says "I was gonna write you an evading persuit ticket but my fu<king hand got tired"

Brom
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Klicks

TheMainEvent
12-07-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Klicks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes...at least I didn't finish dead last on this one.

miajag81
12-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Calling Sheriff John Bunnell....

slipoker
12-07-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Klicks

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, f that. 84 in an 80, at klicks? And I thought my 26 in a 20 was bad.

Stuey
12-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Like 10 years ago a few times I would pass a cop going the oppisite direction on my bike. He would flash his lights but not turn around so I never stopped. I think they realize they are not catching you when you are going that fast.

Luckily somehow I never ran into a cop further down the road as I assumed they always radioed ahead that a guy was speeding in that direction. But I would take a diferent route and slow down after I got past the first cop. Plus often it was late at night and very dark so he could not even have much of a discription of me to pass on. Lucky and stupid at the time it seemed minor.

If he would have hit his brakes and turned around to come get me I would have stopped I'm no badass just dumb.

Vivalution
12-07-2005, 08:03 PM
I was going about 70 in a 35, when I passed a motorcycle cop in the other land. "Oh [censored]!!" flashed in my mind. So I made the next right, then a right, and pulled into a packed parking lot, and parked my car between two others. I got out of my car so I could walk away and contest the ticket later, but the cop flew in behind me and actually asked, "is there a fire?" Needless to say, if you try and run from the police they will not take it easy on you. I only got a speeding ticket though as they could never prove I tried to run.

Slow Play Ray
12-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I've run twice.

The first time was in high school when I spun my rear end out coming around a corner and the cop was coming the opposite direction. I saw him hit his brake lights to turn around, so I gunned it, pulled into my buddy's driveway around the next corner, and killed the lights. He quickly went wailing by and I pulled out and went the other way.

The other time was in college, on foot and into the woods. I gave myself up because after I thought about it I realized I wasn't even doing anything wrong, I was just being wasted and stupid. They were just campus cops so nothing happened anyway.

CieloAzor
12-07-2005, 08:07 PM
It's not like I've been in high speed chases, but if I'm speeding and I notice a cop notice me, I'll quickly make the next turn to get out of his sight, then make a series of turns fairly quickly to lose him. Also, in the past, I was living at a condo with a large underground garage. Once, I was speeding over a bridge near the condo when a cop saw me and made his way onto the bridge behind me. I had enough time to build a decent lead on him by the time he got onto the road, so I kept my speed up and got into the garage without letting him get a look at the plate. Gate closed behind me and I never heard anything more about it. If he had caught up, I'd just say I didn't see him at first and had continued speeding.

Usually I just pull over though. You have to pick your spots.

Boris
12-07-2005, 08:08 PM
I've outran the cops on foot several times. I've never ran gotten busted. I own the cops.

James Boston
12-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Like everyone else in the thread, I've done it, but nothing too rebellious. I was a quarter mile from my house, flew by a cop, saw his break lights, speed up to my house and pulled in the garage. The only other time I was 13 or 14 and got caught rolling a yard. We tried to run, but the cop knew who we were and just went back to the house he knew we were at and waited.

Quinn Warren
12-07-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm 17 years old, out of town on an overnight forensics trip in High School. At about 1 a.m. I convince six friends to leave our motel room and explore the ghost town of Coffeyville, Kansas. (This town's streets are bricked, there are no vehicles anywhere)
After about ten minutes we see flashing lights behind us. Two cop cars are about a block away and closing quickly.

Now what happens next I still (8 years later) cannot explain. For some reason, while everyone else stands waiting for the police, I decide to make a run for it.

For the next 10-15 minutes I elude the two police cars while on foot, the whole time trying to make my way back to our motel room. At this time, there is so much adrenaline in my body that I am performing amazing feats of agility (leaping over fences, one hopping garbage dumpsters, etc) At about a block away from our door, concealed by a bank, I conclude that I have lost them and Imake a run for it. I get to the door, fumble to get the key card in, and right then a giant ass spotlight shines right on my back, and I hear "step away from the door, son."

My forensics teacher was awoken by the police, who deemed him competent to dole out consequences (thank god). Our teacher exploded on us that night, but by the next moring we were all laughing about it.

After I got back to school, our principal decided he had to punish me somehow (he also thought it was funny) and sentenced me to 25 hours of community service, which I never served.

From what I understand, our school still has a ban on overnight trips.

Quinn Warren
12-07-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Klicks

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, f that. 84 in an 80, at klicks? And I thought my 26 in a 20 was bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try 32 in a 30 (Mulvane, Kansas)

Gunny Highway
12-07-2005, 08:26 PM
In high school, my friend's dad was giving me a ride to their house on the back of his Yamaha 1200. He was a coke dealer and wanted for something. He outran them with me on the back. I was scared shitless. Not really me doing it but that was the only tme.

A couple of weeks later someone shot him three times in the back of the head with a .44 magnum. Tough bastard actually lived, but left town as soon as he recovered and my friend never saw his dad again as far as I know. Probably better off, but still sad.

12-07-2005, 08:27 PM
I was following my friend once to a party, and we went the wrong way, and made a U-turn. A cop was driving by on the adjoining street and saw us turning around so naturally he probably thought we were running from him. My friend takes off one way (with his girlfriend in the truck) and I go the other (with two chicks in my truck). We are turning in and out of streets, and finally i go down a back alley, but somehow this cop saw me. He followed me for a while, and when I turned back onto the main street then he turns his lights on (of course). I pull back over and he comes up and asks what I was doing. I say,"Lookin for my friends party sir". Pretty [censored] excuse but I think the two hot chicks in the truck did it for me. I got a warning for not putting on my blinker 100 feet before my turn, and he even said have fun at the party.

WackityWhiz
12-07-2005, 08:30 PM
I enjoy reading these, keep them coming

12-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeah this is an interesting topic. I'll try to remember more.

B Dids
12-07-2005, 08:33 PM
I would think on a cost benefit analysis, unless you're really sure you're not getting caught- the negatives of running and getting caught far outweight the negatives of just plain getting caught.

12-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Warning: Long Trip Report, Uninentional Outrun Attempt

Summer after sophomore year in college, I'm driving from MIT to LA for an internship with my brother. I'm in AZ, where the speed limit was 70 or 75, and I've got the cruise control at 90 and rocking out to Quadrophenia on the straightest most boring road you've ever been on. I look up in my rearview and see a cop flashing his lights. I swear a few times and pull over.

The come comes to the side window with some hick accent and tells me that he's pulling me over cuz I was doing 90, and anything over 85 in the state of AZ in an arrestable offense where he can my car impounded. He also tells me that he'd been following me for the last 7 miles. (woops...) and that's where I start shaking. He asks if I've got drugs in the car, and I swear I don't...he tells me if I've got pot for personal use, it's cool, but I still don't have any, and he's kinda pissed and convinced I do. He notices a ziploc bag I've got full of receipts, and thinking it's drugs, pulls his gun on me and asks me to get out of the car. I start freaking, and he does all these field sobriety tests on me. I fail the one where you hold you arm out steady cuz I'm so nervous, so he asks me a series of questions about where I'm going and such.

I tell him that I'm doing an internship in California, and he looks at me funny, so I told him that I was working as a thermodynamic engineer for a satellite company. He's got no clue what this is, so I give him a ten second overview. He's totally convinced I'm bluffing, and is just like "so they're paying you to tell them that the satellite gets hot and cold in space? That's the best you can come up with for me?" And thus I spend about ten minutes explaining applied thermo to this cop in AZ.

He finally starts believing me, and then asks my bro the same questions, who's kind of just sitting htere laughing since he didn't have the gun pointed at him. He asks my brother why he's so calm, and my brother replies, "I'm not the one getting arrested." The cop finally cools down, writes me a $200 ticket for 85+ and lets me go along my merry way, but follows directly behind me for the next 40 miles while I had the cruise control firmly set at 60 in the right lane...

d10
12-07-2005, 08:46 PM
3 times. Once was at about 2am on the highway. I was crusing at about 120 and saw a cop on the left side of the road. I moved into the far left lane so that there was no way he could pull onto the highway until I was at least past him and just hit the gas. I was going 140 by the time I passed him. He started to pull out but then decided to not even try. I kept going to 160 and pulled off 2 exits ahead, never saw anyone else.

The next time I passed a cop on the other side of the median. I watched him make U-turn in my rear view mirror but at that point I was at least 1/4 mile ahead and I was in an area I knew well with a lot of possible turns. So I just took off.

The third time was just a few days ago. I passed a car at night sitting on a road to the right who started driving towards my road when I went by. I was about 80% sure it was a cop trying to pull me over. Normally I just pull to the side right away in those situations, but there was a huge line of cars coming up on the other side of the road and I had just enough time to make a U-turn and get ahead of them. The cop flashed me as I passed him again but there wasn't much he could do at that point.

I pull over way more than I try to outrun the cops, and I'd never consider getting into a high speed chase, but if I see an opportunity to disappear, and the cop hasn't even signalled for me to pull over yet, and I'm reasonably sure that even if he does catch up and turns on his lights I can pull over and act like I didn't know he was chasing me, I'll make an effort to get away.

12-07-2005, 08:55 PM
3 Times but only with the Hyabusa...and when I was a lot younger. http://www.revsperformance.com/images/blueflame/Hayabusa%202.jpg

willie
12-07-2005, 09:01 PM
on a motorcycle

numerous times

never caught

to avoid a monster ticket/ adrenaline rush....not to mention- because i could.

Blarg
12-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Why obviously, in a car?

TheMainEvent
12-07-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why obviously, in a car?

[/ QUOTE ]

As opposed to on foot, not as opposed to on a motorcycle.

Koss
12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm going about 90 in a 70 MPH zone and look to my left and see the cop car right there gunning people. I see him start to try and pull onto the highway after me so I dart off the nearest exit and start booking. Of course he has absolutely no trouble following me so I just give it up. He asks me where I was going and why I got off the highway. I told him I was looking for a place to eat and he tells me I've already passed everything. Thankfully he stopped talking and gave me the ticket for the full 90 in a 70. I suppose that could have been a lot worse.

mlagoo
12-07-2005, 11:10 PM
oh im not an OOT regular but ive got a crappy one.

im like 17, headed to some interview. im driving on a suspended license because i had already got three speeding tickets, which apparently means your license is suspended for 6 months in MD. who knew.

anyway i liked to drive fast back then, so i was doing about 100 in a 55, as a cop drove past me going the opposite direction. i also did not know, at that time, that cops could clock you going the other direction, so i made no attempt to slow down.

i see lights come on, and freak the [censored] out. i immediately turn down the first right turn i see, which happens to be a ridiculously bumpy, treacherous dirt road, which i proceed to fly down at about 60 miles per hour. as i'm driving down it, i can see the cop in my rear view, maybe about 3-400 feet behind me.

i remember as im driving that i have a friend who lives down this road, so i fishtail my way into his driveway, thinking i had lost the cop. i decide that i'll walk up to my friends door, as though i was just going for a visit, and i normally drive 60 miles/hour through twisty bumpy dirt roads.

unfortunately, about 5 seconds later, the cop pulls up, starts freakin out and cursing at me, arrests me, curses at me a whole lot more, and "takes me down to the station." i then had to call my mother and explain that while i had been arrested and her car had been towed, i was still a good kid and she should come pick me up. thankfully, she did.

pretty big bummer though. next time i'll just pull over, or have a faster car.

_Kevin_
12-07-2005, 11:33 PM
The down side simply is so much greater than the upside I wouldn't even seriously consider it.

The closest I've come was about a split second before I pulled over (and I KNOW I would have gotten away). I was decending a mountain road in a sports car when I came around a hair pin turn and their was a cop in bronco going the other way. He flipped on his lights and I pulled over. 40 seconds later he pulled up behind me after going around the hair pin and making a u-turn. I clearly could have out run him but why. I paid my $120 ticket and moved on (I had more than $120 worth of fun on the drive up). When he left, I told my wife I would gladly pay anothe $120 for the ride we had going up /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

TheMetetron
12-07-2005, 11:40 PM
I've done it and gotten away, but not in a car (at least not when they were close enough). It was on foot once and on foot and then into a car once. Both times it was for worse reasons than the poll allows.

jba
12-08-2005, 12:45 AM
you need to have some find of "just committed a felony" option for the second poll. for example, what would a bank robber choose there?

my friends and I torched a billboard in the middle of some podunk town, did that race through neighborhood and hide in a driveway thing. there was twice we went through an intersection and like two blocks down the cross street a cop was driving through other way. I thought we were toast, our car reeked of gasoline.

surfinillini
12-08-2005, 12:55 AM
once in college I ran and got away, our campus town had the wierdest rule, 19 to get into the bars but 21 to buy booze. either way, I was a young freshman and used a friends ID to get into the bars. As we left our friends apartment, some of us had open bottles as the campus cops cruised by.

They saw us, immediately stopped, flicked on the lights and backed up. We all dropped our bottles, ran back into the complex into random apartments of people we knew and didn't come out. Cops caught two of my friends, the rest of us jumped off the balcony and cruised off into the sunset.

It was close...

Claunchy
12-08-2005, 01:32 AM
LA - No one cares that you have a cool bike. Your pic is jacking up the whole goddamn thread.

Autocratic
12-08-2005, 01:43 AM
Senior year in high school, I had a short stint in the illicit substances business. My friends and I were at a party where we knew no one just to make a rather large sale. Shortly after the transaction, cops appear outside the house. Everyone in the place jets, and we were hopping fences like crazy. About 4 kids, including me, were hopping fence after fence, being pursued by a single cop. I dart to a side yard and hide, hoping that I won't get spotted. Nothing happens, and then I hear a commotion one yard over. I peaked over the fence, and the following scene was ensuing: three of the four kids we'd been "dealing" with had guns drawn. Police officer had his hands in the air, looking terrified and confused. I immediately bolt in the other direction. I am not sure about exactly what transpired before and after that, but nothing was in the papers about it and obviously no one was hurt. Probably the most intense thing I've ever witnessed.