PDA

View Full Version : Bad steal from CO ... any postflop advice?

12-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Please excuse the CO steal attempt ... is it ever right to pay 2 more BB to see the river. No reads on opponents ... how does play change with AQ ?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Amerretto
12-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Grunch
Without reads, I think I would be folding this. Check Raise would normally indicate a better hand, and with the way you played it showing strength initially, and then continuation bets, I think your toast. The 7-1 that your getting on your bet don't justify the call IMO.

bozlax
12-07-2005, 07:36 PM
I'd call the turn, check/fold the river UI, but you're pretty dead here.

It changes with AQ because 1) you're not stealing preflop, you're raising for value, and 2) you'd be 3-betting that turn.

12-07-2005, 07:40 PM
I think the answer is 'it depends' What's your read on the BB? How aggressive have you been playing? What has he seen you play recently? What have you seen him do?

Today playing SH I got pwned with hands like this and blew through 20BB in about 15 minutes. I was overplaying top pair/two pair and the other two passives were calling down with better 2 pair, or a couple of times hitting their 2-4 outers for trips and straights on the river.

For this hand, pot is small enough I fold mostly or call/fold UI once in a while just so I don't get pegged as a weak tightly who always folds to turn aggression.

milesdyson
12-07-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd call the turn, check/fold the river UI, but you're pretty dead here.

It changes with AQ because 1) you're not stealing preflop, you're raising for value, and 2) you'd be 3-betting that turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
if we would 3-bet the turn with AQ, surely our hand fares well enough against his range to simply call down. no way will your kicker play such a huge role. if you're "pretty dead" with Q3, you must also be in bad shape with AQ.

also, i don't like calling this and folding the river unimproved. call twice or fold now, and i think folding is better. although, the play varies as reads develop.

bozlax
12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no way will your kicker play such a huge role.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah. If Villan has 2-pair with a queen the ace gives you a chance to win. If Villan has KQ you're ahead.

ZenMusician
12-07-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if we would 3-bet the turn with AQ, surely our hand fares well enough against his range to simply call down. no way will your kicker play such a huge role. if you're "pretty dead" with Q3, you must also be in bad shape with AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic, Mr. Owner. You all need to really understand this point

-ZEN