PDA

View Full Version : Best Video Game 1988-1994 Round 2

durron597
12-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Ok, I made it a double elimination event, in an attempt to fix the bad seeding from earlier; I moved some of the matches around. I put the whole thing on bracketmaker to make it easier to follow.

Here is the link to the bracketmaker page. (http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=133157)

I've decided 1 day is sufficient to get good results, so at least until the last few rounds I'll leave it as 1 day.

Without further ado, round 2:

MrWookie47
12-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Wow. Just to see X-Com losing to Sim City 2000 makes this a crime against humanity.

Claunchy
12-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Wookie - I don't think a lot of people know what X-Com is. They're just voting for the one they've heard of.

durron - A lot of good games here. I'm sure plenty of people will respond with "OMGWTF!!11 WHERE'S xxxx???" but I say nice work.

DrSavage
12-07-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

X-Com: UFO Defense
-
9 39%
Sim City 2000
-
14 61%

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, i give up on this poll

astroglide
12-07-2005, 06:42 PM
tentacle and monkey island going down undeservedly

Colonel Kataffy
12-07-2005, 06:43 PM
I liked Contra, but come on. Journey with me down memmory lane:

http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/greatgame/tecmobowl/image15.gif

http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/greatgame/tecmobowl/image14.gif
http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/greatgame/tecmobowl/image16.gif
http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/greatgame/tecmobowl/image17.gif

Open your gimmick accounts and vote again. This time, do the right thing.

2+2 wannabe
12-07-2005, 06:44 PM
NOOOOOOOOO.....EARTHBOUND!!!!!

Senor Cardgage
12-07-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tentacle and monkey island going down undeservedly

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus Tetris. Mortal Kombat is not all that great.

astroglide
12-07-2005, 06:49 PM
at least that one is still close in voting

swede123
12-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Yikes, what a pitiful state of affairs when these are the results. Shape up, OOT!!!!

Swede

EMcWilliams
12-07-2005, 06:54 PM
SMB 3 vs. Super Metroid might be a harder decision than naming a kid.

12-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Star Control 2, the greatest game of all time, bar none, going out 0-2 is a travesty.

iMsoLucky0
12-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Come on.

Mortal Kombat was just a Street Fighter II ripoff. Tetris is one of the best games EVER.

This is a disgrace.

Claunchy
12-07-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Star Control 2, the greatest game of all time, bar none, going out 0-2 is a travesty.

[/ QUOTE ]
You must have no idea how freakin' awesome Secret of Mana was. That might actually be my #1 choice.

Tecmo Bowl gets nostalgia points, sure, but I think I could still have fun playing SoM today. After about 10 minutes of Tecmo Bowl, I would probably turn it off and start playing Madden.

ThinkQuick
12-07-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Plus Tetris. Mortal Kombat is not all that great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that this is close.
It shows that there is a wide variety of definitions for 'best' game. People pick these games for different reasons (I think) and it is an interesting match

Phoenix1010
12-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Better job.

Results are scary. Tetris is the chess of video games, it should destroy every other game on this list; Mortal Kombat is the worst console game on there, no way it should be that close. Super Metroid is better than SMB3, not by much, but it is. Either not enough people have played Super Metroid, or too many people have seen The Wizard. Super Metroid against Super Mario World would be a better match up. I didn't get a computer until a few years ago, so I can't comment on all of those.

durron597
12-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Wow, Tetris and Mortal Kombat are neck and neck. I think me rearranging these makes very few of these matches a surprise though, this will get more interesting when we get to the later rounds.

astroglide
12-07-2005, 07:59 PM
what's sad is that i doubt many people played the original dragon warrior either. the votes for it could be on namesake alone.

12-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Ugh, still no love for Dune 2. *fires a Death Hand nuke at you all*

*watches as it flies wide and hits Science, Math, Philosophy*

[censored] Death Hands.

durron597
12-07-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, still no love for Dune 2. *fires a Death Hand nuke at you all*

*watches as it flies wide and hits Science, Math, Philosophy*

[censored] Death Hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most people didn't start getting into RTSs until Warcraft, unfortunately.

Jeebus
12-07-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what's sad is that i doubt many people played the original dragon warrior either. the votes for it could be on namesake alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my feeling exactly. But then it also looks like all the RPG's are getting the shaft.

MrWookie47
12-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Is there anyone who'll pipe up and say they voted for Sim City 2k? Has you played both?

12-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Link to the Past.

End of thread.

gumpzilla
12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Super Metroid is probably my favorite SNES game of all time. People should give it some more love.

12-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Bracket 6 seems like the only one that will go down to the wire. Mortal Kombat deserves to win!

12-07-2005, 09:01 PM
This is just going to hurt more and more as the tournament goes on. If everybody thought like me, A Link to the Past would end up against Chrono Trigger in the final and that's kind of like trying to decide which testicle you like more.

Blarg
12-07-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

X-Com: UFO Defense
-
9 39%
Sim City 2000
-
14 61%

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, i give up on this poll

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Same with DOOM losing. This is turning into the usual OOTness.

durron597
12-07-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Same with DOOM losing. This is turning into the usual OOTness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of these have a chance to make it deep in the loser's bracket.

12-07-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NOOOOOOOOO.....EARTHBOUND!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, my favorite two games are playing right now.
Tecmo vs Contra already. WTF mate

Peca277
12-07-2005, 09:42 PM
I totally forgot about The Secret of Monkey Island... but that game was sweet. Now I'm slightly upset it's losing.

I've got a little TIP for you, get the POINT?

Ahh, memories /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Up down up down left right left right b a b a select start

dankhank
12-07-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

up up down down

12-07-2005, 09:45 PM
what in the [censored] is wrong with you.

[censored] super mario 3, a regurgitated sequel of a formulaic game (review may be tainted by metroid bias) against an amazing sequel that brought the series to new heights.

maybe mario 64 against super metroid you could make a case for.

ugh.

oh well, I'll stop my rant.

splashpot
12-07-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

up up down down

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. I totally forgot about that. That gives you what, infinite lives?? I think.

12-07-2005, 09:46 PM
its not infinite, but I cant remember if its 30,60, or 99.

12-07-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its not infinite, but I cant remember if its 30,60, or 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

30 Lives, 30 Continues

iMsoLucky0
12-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Definitely 30.

Superfluous Man
12-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Tecmo Super Bowl losing by a 3-2 margin against Contra? I refuse to believe this. This is not happening. This is not happening.

durron597
12-07-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo Super Bowl losing by a 3-2 margin against Contra? I refuse to believe this. This is not happening. This is not happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can still make it deep in the losers bracket, don't worry.

mcb
12-07-2005, 10:01 PM
contra was fun but tecmo super bowl is one of the best games ever. the results are crazy. plus where is ninja gaiden?

durron597
12-07-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
contra was fun but tecmo super bowl is one of the best games ever. the results are crazy. plus where is ninja gaiden?

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about it /images/graemlins/frown.gif

splashpot
12-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Am I the only one who played Double Dragon 2?? Man, that was one of my favorite games ever. I got many, many blisters playing that game.

12-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Super Mario 3 vs Super Metroid is sick. I feel like I'm cheating an a girl by voting.

durron597
12-07-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Super Mario 3 vs Super Metroid is sick. I feel like I'm cheating an a girl by voting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now throw A Link to the Past into the mix.

12-07-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now throw A Link to the Past into the mix.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't handle that. I like Super Metroid better but not by much. Super Nintendo is the best system ever. Not enough 2-D games are made anymore. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I'd take my Super Nintendo over PS2 anyday.

PS. I suck at proofreading.

ghostface
12-07-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bracket 6 seems like the only one that will go down to the wire. Mortal Kombat deserves to win!

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the [censored] outta here! Really, leave.

crownjules
12-07-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about it /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's too bad. That game consumed more hours then any other game I've played (aside from WOW maybe). It was probably one of the toughest, next to TMNT and Guardian Legend.

durron597
12-08-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
next to TMNT

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man this game was hard.

SackUp
12-08-2005, 02:20 AM
We are having the finals in the second round??

Contra vs. Super Tecmo Bowl

Contra should win this whole thing handily!

JackWilson
12-08-2005, 02:55 AM
Stunning. Some of the poll results are insanely stupid. X-COM losing to SimCity 2000, Secret of Monkey Island losing to TIE Fighter...

DOOM losing to Super Mario Kart??? Are you kidding? DOOM Invented a whole genre, and not just any genre, the most popular PC genre by a wide margin...

Dune 2 losing to Megaman 2? WTF? Dune 2 invented another genre...whereas Megaman 2, um, sucks.

And Super Mario RPG actually got some votes against FFVI.

Ultima Underworld losing to Mike Tyson's PunchOut...?? I'm speechless.

Clearly a bunch of idiots voted in this poll, people who haven't played both games.

12-08-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stunning. Some of the poll results are insanely stupid. X-COM losing to SimCity 2000, Secret of Monkey Island losing to TIE Fighter...

DOOM losing to Super Mario Kart??? Are you kidding? DOOM Invented a whole genre, and not just any genre, the most popular PC genre by a wide margin...

Dune 2 losing to Megaman 2? WTF? Dune 2 invented another genre...whereas Megaman 2, um, sucks.

Clearly a bunch of idiots voted in this poll, people who haven't played both games.

[/ QUOTE ]

doom didnt invent [censored]. get your facts straight. however, I believe that Mario Kart might have been the first kart game (certainly the first popular console one).

NLSoldier
12-08-2005, 03:10 AM
tecmo super bowl is like top 5 game of all time. where is madden 94? I think its the best pre-2000 madden.

12-08-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just to see X-Com losing to Sim City 2000 makes this a crime against humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. X-Com is such a great game.

MrWookie47
12-08-2005, 03:14 AM
I voted for TIE Fighter. I agree that Monkey Island was a classic, but I'm not as much of an adventure gamer. TIE Fighter was an awesome game, though. Probably my #3 all time PC game, behind Half-Life at #2 and X-Com at #1. I think that Doom vs. Mario Kart is not a clear match, either. Doom wasn't the inventor of the genre (it's already been nitted that the honor belongs to Wolfenstein 3D), but it was the reason why it exploded. Mario Kart, though, is one of the best games ever to play against your friends while sitting around on the couch. They're two different niches at which each one excelled.

12-08-2005, 03:38 AM
SMB3 shouldn't be destroying Super Metroid like this. Super Metroid is the best action/adventure SNES game, and the voting goes to show that is a popularity contest.

MK isn't even close to Tetris.

Also, if you like SMB3, you gotta see the 11minute video clip. Freakin Amazing, beating that game in 11 minutes. Sorry no link, but should be able to google or limewire or torrent or whudeva.

JackWilson
12-08-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
doom didnt invent [censored]. get your facts straight. however, I believe that Mario Kart might have been the first kart game (certainly the first popular console one).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I voted for TIE Fighter. I agree that Monkey Island was a classic, but I'm not as much of an adventure gamer. TIE Fighter was an awesome game, though. Probably my #3 all time PC game, behind Half-Life at #2 and X-Com at #1. I think that Doom vs. Mario Kart is not a clear match, either. Doom wasn't the inventor of the genre (it's already been nitted that the honor belongs to Wolfenstein 3D), but it was the reason why it exploded. Mario Kart, though, is one of the best games ever to play against your friends while sitting around on the couch. They're two different niches at which each one excelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well if you want to be pedantic about which game invented the FPS genre, it wasn't Wolf 3D either. It was Catacomb 3D...oh wait, that wasn't the first either, it was Hovertank 3D, etc etc.

Fact remains that DOOM's advances and gameplay brought on a new genre. Wolf didn't spawn any clones, but DOOM did.

If you want to argue the semantics of "invented", fine, but you can't deny that DOOM had an enormous impact...much greater than Super Mario Kart.

ilya
12-08-2005, 03:57 AM
1, How could Final Fantasy VI possibly have lost against anything except Tetris?

2, Monkey Island vs. Tie Fighter is the closest matchup this time around, I think.

3, I can't believe doom is losing. do you guys remember how incredible this game seemed when it first came out?!\

4, i am shocked that MK is actually giving Tetris a run for its money...i mean...come on....Tetris is indisputably the greatest game EVER made....MK is a reasonably fun fighting game...

TheMainEvent
12-08-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And SimCity 2000 sucked. So boring. I always put it in the MYST category of games old people bought just to feel like they were using their $2000 computers.

ilya
12-08-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

up up down down

[/ QUOTE ]

just cos we use cheats,
doesn't mean we're not smart

12-08-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well if you want to be pedantic about which game invented the FPS genre, it wasn't Wolf 3D either. It was Catacomb 3D...oh wait, that wasn't the first either, it was Hovertank 3D, etc etc.

Fact remains that DOOM's advances and gameplay brought on a new genre. Wolf didn't spawn any clones, but DOOM did.

If you want to argue the semantics of "invented", fine, but you can't deny that DOOM had an enormous impact...much greater than Super Mario Kart.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it was dick to get semantic on you, sorry. I just cant believe everyone is going so apeshit on Doom, which in retrospect I think was less polished than kart. However, this is because doom II was the first I played, so Im biased.

I have to say though, that if it was DII against Kart, I would definitely go Doom 2.

12-08-2005, 04:12 AM
good titles

-tAg

durron597
12-08-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this whole post, except that I think Megaman 2 vs. Dune 2 should be close.

pokerdirty
12-08-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Come on.

Mortal Kombat was just a Street Fighter II ripoff. Tetris is one of the best games EVER.

This is a disgrace.

[/ QUOTE ]

moving blocks to form lines is enough to make the best game ever? I'm sorry, I do not agree.

You may think that MK is a SF rip off, but the Fatalities are what really set this game apart, even above, SF.

durron597
12-08-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You may think that MK is a SF rip off, but the Fatalities are what really set this game apart, even above, SF.

[/ QUOTE ]

down up left left a right down

Koss
12-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Putting Monkey Island vs. Tie Fighter is absolutely brutal. Because of those 2 games I don't remember anything at all about ages 10-12.

durron597
12-08-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Putting Monkey Island vs. Tie Fighter is absolutely brutal. Because of those 2 games I don't remember anything at all about ages 10-12.

[/ QUOTE ]

They both lost in the first round, too /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Monkey Island is the most underrated game ever.

MarkL444
12-08-2005, 12:38 PM
mega man 2 losing is a [censored] joke

tpir90036
12-08-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
why do people feel a need to attempt posting this code since they rarely get it right? i mean at least google it or something.

pokerdirty
12-08-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
why do people feel a need to attempt posting this code since they rarely get it right? i mean at least google it or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

because no one has played the game in at least 10 years, but since it is the best video game code of all time, and it is very repetitive, it remembered, even if not 100% correct.

give the guy a break. sheesh.

Unoriginalname
12-08-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked Contra, but come on. Journey with me down memmory lane:

http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/greatgame/tecmobowl/image15.gif

http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/greatgame/tecmobowl/image14.gif
http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/greatgame/tecmobowl/image16.gif
http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/greatgame/tecmobowl/image17.gif

Open your gimmick accounts and vote again. This time, do the right thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh, such memories....I voted correctly

I'm assuming this entry is just Contra I. If it included the entire Contra series, including Contra III:The Alien Wars, this decision would be a LOT harder for me.

Freakin
12-08-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more... i literally spent MONTHS playing this game for 4-5 hours daily for singleplayer. And I could play multiplayer for just as long...

I picked it up again recently for the windows port.

Freakin

durron597
12-08-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more... i literally spent MONTHS playing this game for 4-5 hours daily for singleplayer. And I could play multiplayer for just as long...

I picked it up again recently for the windows port.

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it just wasn't all that widely played. Maybe people played Star Control 3 and had bad memories and thus voted against it.

MrWookie47
12-08-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And SimCity 2000 sucked. So boring. I always put it in the MYST category of games old people bought just to feel like they were using their $2000 computers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great description. I played Sim City 2000. I thought it was fairly fun, but, yeah, it's in the "Myst" genre. It's one of the least deserving titles to be involved in this poll, perhaps along with Super Mario RPG and Sonic 3. To see it taking down the best game on this list is pretty disgusting. No one has chimed in to extol the virtues of SC2k. I think people are just voting for it because they have never heard of XCom.

12-08-2005, 02:16 PM
I think that many of the matchups that are causing gripes are actually very close (Doom vs. Mario Kart, Monkey Island vs. TIE Fighter) but XCOM losing to SC2000 leaves me speechless. I'd be very interested in hearing from someone who has played both defend a vote for SC2000, because I believe it is quite frankly impossible.

Sadat X
12-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Just about everyone in this forum would LOVE Monkey Island (esp. the original) if they played it. Very dissapointed with this decision, as well as the aforementioned Star Control 2 situation.

Tecmo Super Bowl is probably my favorite game on the list, but at least it's losing to worthy competition.

durron597
12-08-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that many of the matchups that are causing gripes are actually very close (Doom vs. Mario Kart, Monkey Island vs. TIE Fighter) but XCOM losing to SC2000 leaves me speechless. I'd be very interested in hearing from someone who has played both defend a vote for SC2000, because I believe it is quite frankly impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played both and X-Com is hands down the better game.

samjjones
12-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Bo Jackson, that mf'er.

durron597
12-08-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bo Jackson, that mf'er.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

samjjones
12-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Tecmo Bowl

gonores
12-08-2005, 03:03 PM
OK, my thoughts.

Tecmo Super Bowl vs Contra

Agreeing with others, this is a finals match...final 4 at worst. Contra was great, but I don't think you will ever find a game that so many people have "perfected" as Tecmo. I spent consequential amounts of time in close to a dozen dorms in my college career (either living in or visiting), and I think Tecmo was played in each one, and each dorm had its Tecmo champ, and the spectacle of two masters of the game getting together, setting their playbooks, and pitting it out against one another was a (sober) video game spectacle yet to be matched in my eyes...Mario Kart + alcohol will give sober Tecmo a run for it's money though.

SC2K vs XCOM

People who can't figure this one out are a little dense. Everyone and their mom played SC2K. XCOM was not widely circulated. I only played SC2K. Sorry XCOM fans....I'm sure XCOM is great, but SC2k is just good enough to beat out a random game I never played....and I am certain I match the sentiments of other SC2K voters.

Tetris vs Mortal Kombat

This is a simple experiment in OOT demographics. Tetris touters don't seem to realize that Mortal Kombat was the GTA series of the 90s. Take a trip down memory lane with me, boys. Remember Sunday night when Mom turned on 60 Minutes? Remember when Ed Bradley came on to condemn Mortal Combat? Remember all the bad press Mortal Kombat got? If you were 12-15 at the time MK came out, there was nothing cooler than sneaking over to your friend's place to play MK because his parents were the only ones cool enough to buy their kid that game. The blood? The violence? The fatalities? If this means less to you than trying to piece together a bunch of stupid shapes that won't bleed no matter how hard you smash them into the ground, then I am guessing you weren't born into MK's wheelhouse. You're either too old to appreciate the cheap thrill of blood or you're too young and you find MK tame compared to later games.

Koss
12-08-2005, 03:11 PM
Bo Jackson's biggest legacy to date is his domination of Tecmo Bowl. Seriously, In an interview a couple years ago he said he gets asked about it whereever he goes. Line backers just bounced off of him as he zig/zagged down the field. Barry Sanders was a close 2nd in this game actually, but couldn't match Bo's dominance.

Actually, I forgot the Konami code, but will always remember ABACABB on the Genesis.

12-08-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SC2k is just good enough to beat out a random game I never played....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an endorsement?? Is it possible to skip questions on the poll, 'cause that would appear to be a better solution.

Or to put it another way, if SC2K was left out of the competition entirely, would you even have noticed?

Duke
12-08-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tetris vs Mortal Kombat

This is a simple experiment in OOT demographics. Tetris touters don't seem to realize that Mortal Kombat was the GTA series of the 90s. Take a trip down memory lane with me, boys. Remember Sunday night when Mom turned on 60 Minutes? Remember when Ed Bradley came on to condemn Mortal Combat? Remember all the bad press Mortal Kombat got? If you were 12-15 at the time MK came out, there was nothing cooler than sneaking over to your friend's place to play MK because his parents were the only ones cool enough to buy their kid that game. The blood? The violence? The fatalities? If this means less to you than trying to piece together a bunch of stupid shapes that won't bleed no matter how hard you smash them into the ground, then I am guessing you weren't born into MK's wheelhouse. You're either too old to appreciate the cheap thrill of blood or you're too young and you find MK tame compared to later games.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to offer an apologia of a game's superiority based solely on its sociopolitical impacts, and ignoring the fact that the game itself was inferior, think Cold War and global instead of Ed Bradley and your mom.

Tetris is probably the best pure game of all time. MK made an existing genre marginally more violent.

~D

gonores
12-08-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is an endorsement?? Is it possible to skip questions on the poll, 'cause that would appear to be a better solution.

Or to put it another way, if SC2K was left out of the competition entirely, would you even have noticed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything in your post. I'm not really an OOT regular, so I didn't realize I could abstain.

Koss
12-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Marginally more violent? Jabbing someone with a harpoon, pulling them towards you, then ripping their head off with spinal cord in tact while blood flies everywhere made Street Fighter 2 look like Sesame Street in terms of violence.

gonores
12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Too old to appreciate MK, ey? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

When you're talking about video games from your childhood, the game Mom wouldn't let you play will be superior to the game Mom would let you play. It's a fact of life.

12-08-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything in your post. I'm not really an OOT regular, so I didn't realize I could abstain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know if abstaining is possible either. If it isn't, people should be adding a "No Vote" option to all these.

As for MK vs. Tetris, I was in college 3 years ago and the same NES systems that were kept around to play Tecmo Super Bowl were also used for insane Tetris high score competitions. MK was nowhere to be found. But then again the place was populated by engineering dorks. I guess I have no point.

gonores
12-08-2005, 03:28 PM
MK was also introduced on SEGA/SNES, not NES. The console had no staying power...not MKs fault.

pokerlaw
12-08-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but if you were good you didnt need that code to beat it /images/graemlins/smile.gif edit: that code is wrong! didnt notice the first time.

trivia question: 007 373 5963. anyone?

12-08-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MK was also introduced on SEGA/SNES, not NES. The console had no staying power...not MKs fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree here. People did keep the SNES around for original Super Mario Kart, and the Genesis was essential for the best NHL '94 experience. Heck, there was tons of Dreamcasts (talk about no staying power) around just because the system had the only port of Soul Calibur. MK wasn't around because it wasn't timeless... the fun wore off with the shock, IMO.

durron597
12-08-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but if you were good you didnt need that code to beat it /images/graemlins/smile.gif edit: that code is wrong! didnt notice the first time.

trivia question: 007 373 5963. anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

tyson, duh

Colonel Kataffy
12-08-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree here. People did keep the SNES around for original Super Mario Kart, and the Genesis was essential for the best NHL '94 experience. Heck, there was tons of Dreamcasts (talk about no staying power) around just because the system had the only port of Soul Calibur. MK wasn't around because it wasn't timeless... the fun wore off with the shock, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Powerstone and virtua tennis were also great. It might not have been a business success, but the dreamcast was definitely worth owning.

Phoenix1010
12-08-2005, 03:43 PM
I grew up during the MK craze. Yes, I thought all the blood and gore and "get over here!" made it the coolest thing ever... for about a month, until I realized the gameplay was busted. Then I went back to Street Fighter II, like everyone else. Here's the thing: I can still play Tetris for hours. when I'm 50, I'll still be able to play Tetris for hours. Hell, I've never met any non-retard who couldn't play Tetris for hours. When I toss in MK, the nostalgia lasts about 5 minutes, and is quickly replaced by boredom.

RunDownHouse
12-08-2005, 03:49 PM
gonores, I know this has been pointed out to you, but it bears repetition:

If you haven't played both games, don't vote for that match up!

durron597
12-08-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gonores, I know this has been pointed out to you, but it bears repetition:

If you haven't played both games, don't vote for that match up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, it's not like this poll is unequivocally determining the best game of all time, just what OOT thinks is the best game of all time. So gonores can vote however he pleases.

Riverman
12-08-2005, 04:13 PM
not fair for mortal kombat, thats probably like my #2 or #3 but tetris is untouchable

tpir90036
12-08-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because no one has played the game in at least 10 years, but since it is the best video game code of all time, and it is very repetitive, it remembered, even if not 100% correct.

give the guy a break. sheesh.

[/ QUOTE ]
i was talking about a video game code for christ's. it's not like i think he should die or something. i don't think a break needs to be given because there was nothing serious about it in the first place.

bobbyi
12-08-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Powerstone and virtua tennis were also great. It might not have been a business success, but the dreamcast was definitely worth owning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dreamcast was fantastic. The amount of time we spent playing Soul Calibur in college justified the money I spent on the system, but I also loved Mr. Driller, Rayman 2, Shenmue 1 and 2 and many other games (but mainly those).

In other news, my cat's name is Kilik.

durron597
12-08-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In other news, my cat's name is Kilik.

[/ QUOTE ]

And your dog's name is Voldo?

tpir90036
12-08-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tetris is probably the best pure game of all time. MK made an existing genre marginally more violent.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this 100%. And this is coming from someone who has a Mortal Kombat 2 machine in his house!

-tpir

p.s. MK2 should have represented the MK franchise if anything was going to. But either way it should get finished off in the early rounds when stacked up with these other games.

durron597
12-08-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this 100%. And this is coming from someone who has a Mortal Kombat 2 machine in his house!

-tpir

p.s. MK2 should have represented the MK franchise if anything was going to. But either way it should get finished off in the early rounds when stacked up with these other games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was never an MK person, so I just picked one. The same way I picked Sonic 3.

uw_madtown
12-08-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, my thoughts.

Tecmo Super Bowl vs Contra

Agreeing with others, this is a finals match...final 4 at worst.

Tetris vs Mortal Kombat

[/ QUOTE ]

gonores, dead on as usual. I picked Contra, but mostly because I didn't play a ton of Tecmo (even then, it was very close). Mortal Combat was FAR more popular amongst my friends than SF, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. SF's great too, and would probably rank slightly higher than MK, but just barely.

I played a shitton of Tetris as a kid, but seriously guys. It was a mindnumbing game that was a time-waster for long car trips with your GameBoy. It wasn't all that fun. Yes, it was a very IMPORTANT game, but it wasn't nearly as fun as MK. It just wasn't.

All that said, if LoTZ:LttP doesn't win this, I will murder someone.

durron597
12-08-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

All that said, if LoTZ:LttP doesn't win this, I will murder someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a lot of hopes for X-Com and Star Control 2, but they aren't well known enough to win a poll like this. My personal scale probably has SC2 as first, Zelda 3 second, and X-Com third (even though I was never good at X-Com, it's just SUCH A GREAT GAME). And then Final Fantasy in fourth.

Anyway, since this is double elimination Tecmo Super Bowl will probably crush everything it faces in the loser's bracket, and may well end up against Zelda 3 in the final match.

durron597
12-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Half an hour left folks, vote now while you still can!