PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my CRT

Maulik
12-07-2005, 05:48 PM
I've been using Windex and have previously had no problems cleaning my montir with it... however this Windex seems to be leaving streaks, how ot fix.

junkmail3
12-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Throw it out the window and buy a clean monitor.

On a serious note, what are you using to clean it with? Using something like a teeshirt or underwear works better. (or some other similar material)

Rick Nebiolo
12-08-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been using Windex and have previously had no problems cleaning my montir with it... however this Windex seems to be leaving streaks, how ot fix.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a "new improved formula" Windex has left streaks all over every window and mirror in my place. I thought I wasn't scrubbing hard enough but now I think it's a plot to get people to buy more Windex.

~ Rick

IndyGuy
12-08-2005, 09:42 AM
You shouldn't use any product that contains ammonia on monitors (or TVs). Normal Windex does contain ammonia, but you can get a version that uses vinegar instead. Or just create a mix of vinegar and water and use that.

I'm not sure it's always the case, but cleaners w/ ammonia tend to be blue tinted; cleaners with vinegar are clear. This is probably because it's safer when ingested.

Here's a link that explains it:
http://ask.yahoo.com/20030722.html

From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
Though some people recommend using Windex, ethyl alcohol and ammonia-based cleaners can yellow your flat-screen or laptop monitor over time, so it is best to avoid such products. You can find an array of commercial products specifically designed to clean LCD screens, but you may prefer to just head to your kitchen and mix up your own solution. Plain old water can do the trick, or you can concoct a solution of vinegar and water or isopropyl alcohol and water.

Always use a soft cotton cloth, rather than a rag or paper towel to wipe the screen. Some people recommend special electrostatic cloths, like those used to clean eyeglasses treated with anti-glare finish, or even dryer sheets. Apply the cleaning solution to your cloth rather than directly to the screen and wipe in one direction -- from the top of the screen to the bottom.

[/ QUOTE ]

CORed
12-08-2005, 12:55 PM
It looks to me like that only applys to LCD monitors. I think the surface of those is some kind of plastic, so it's not surprising that the ammonia or alochol in standard glass cleaners might discolor it. CRT's are made of glass, which is inert to just about everything but hydrofluoric acid, so I doubt windex, which after all is made to clean glass, would hurt them.

IndyGuy
12-08-2005, 01:27 PM
CRTs typically still have a coating on the glass that can be harmed. I'm enough of a dork to have saved the manual for my Sony Trinitron.

It says:

"Clean the screen with a soft cloth. If you use a glass cleaning liquid, do not use any type of cleaner containing an anti-static solution or similar additive as this may scratch the screen's coating."

"Do not use any type of abrasive pad, scouring powder or solvent, such as alcohol or benzene."