PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Asian dudes.....

PokerBob
12-07-2005, 05:45 PM
......many of the Asian men who play at Canterbury have very long finger nails. The majority only have a long pinky nail, although last night I saw a dude who had long nails on all fingers. There is a large Hmong community in the Twin Cities, but I am just a dumb white dude and cannot tell if these partciular Asians are Hmong, Chinese, Korean, Thai, etc. Anyone know anything abuot this nail thing? I'm curious.

12-07-2005, 05:46 PM
drugs

PokerBob
12-07-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
drugs

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe, but i don't think so.

12-07-2005, 05:50 PM
its so the wives and daughters can practice at home

12-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Drugs is probably right.

Landon_McFly
12-07-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its so the wives and daughters can practice at home

[/ QUOTE ]
VNH

daryn
12-07-2005, 06:07 PM
wtf is hmong?

asofel
12-07-2005, 06:08 PM
as someone mentioned its for sniffing coke...

haakee
12-07-2005, 06:15 PM
An ethnic minority in southeast Asia.

Luzion
12-07-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
......many of the Asian men who play at Canterbury have very long finger nails. The majority only have a long pinky nail, although last night I saw a dude who had long nails on all fingers. There is a large Hmong community in the Twin Cities, but I am just a dumb white dude and cannot tell if these partciular Asians are Hmong, Chinese, Korean, Thai, etc. Anyone know anything abuot this nail thing? I'm curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

In more ancient times in China, having long finger nails was supposedly a status symbol. They had these long fancy metal things of gold and jewels that covered the finger nails so they wouldnt break. I think it started out in the Ching dynasty, because these TV series that are based during that era have the high ranking eunuchs wearing these long fingernail guard things while servants bring them tea and help them wear their clothes and stuff.

I think that the purpose was simply to show that you were very powerful and/or rich since long fingernails equals not having to work with your hands.

Nowadays, I pretty much only see guys with a long pinky nail or a long thumbnail at Chinese restaurants, and thats pretty rare. Its really gross when you see a Chinese guy bring you a bowl, and he holds it with his fingers supporting the bowl underneath and with his thumb grasping the top sides of the bowl and you see his long ass dirty black thumbnail almost touching your food.

If you see an asian guy with a long thumbnail, Im guessing its pretty likely he works in a restaurant as a waiter. There probably is a practical reason for them having it, maybe puncturing plastic wrap that covers the food or opening envelopes heh...

JihadOnTheRiver
12-07-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is hmong?

[/ QUOTE ]

BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. They don't have any of those lil fellas up in Boston?

daryn
12-07-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is hmong?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have never heard of it in my life

MarkL444
12-07-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is hmong?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither

IronDragon1
12-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Clearly to compensate for our incredibly small penises

astroglide
12-07-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is hmong?

[/ QUOTE ]

i clicked this thread because i forgot to post earlier. i had never heard about this in my life and had to look it up.

Luzion
12-07-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is hmong?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither

[/ QUOTE ]

I never heard of it either, until I met the first and only person in the dorms that said she was "Mong." First thought that came to my mind when she said that was WTF is that. And then she literally explained/said that they were a very ghetto people that didnt have their own country who lived in Asia. Uhhhh..... okay.

daryn
12-07-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is hmong?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither

[/ QUOTE ]

I never heard of it either, until I met the first and only person in the dorms that said she was "Mong." First thought that came to my mind when she said that was WTF is that.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i heard some asian person say they were "mong" i would assume mongolian

PokerBob
12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is hmong?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither

[/ QUOTE ]

I never heard of it either, until I met the first and only person in the dorms that said she was "Mong." First thought that came to my mind when she said that was WTF is that.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i heard some asian person say they were "mong" i would assume mongolian

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Hmong refers to SE Asians from the Laos/Cambodia area. There is a very large population in St. Paul.

12-07-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is hmong?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not lump us all together. Yes there are a few here, but the main area from them in MA is in Fall River about an hour away.

DoubleDown
12-07-2005, 06:53 PM
re: the fingernail -- a dealer at one of the nyc clubs had a long one on the pinky. yay all the way.

re: hmong -- as mentioned above; an ethnic group from asia. i remember having to read an essay about them during the early parts of med school as part of our cultural competency curriculum.

Boris
12-07-2005, 06:59 PM
They are an ethnic minority in Laos. Many of them helped the US during the Vietnam War. For that reason, large numbers emigrated to the US. INS (or whatever department that deals with this sort of thing) scattered families randomly across the US. However, since people in general like to hang with their own kind, the Hmong congregated in places you wouldn't expect, like the Twin Cities and Missoula, MT.

mason55
12-07-2005, 07:04 PM
For those of you who haven't heard the word Hmong before, this might jog your memory.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/3941611/detail.html

I know I was trying to figure out why I actually knew what it was and somehow I actually remembered that I had heard it when this story was big news last year.

Luzion
12-07-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
re: the fingernail -- a dealer at one of the nyc clubs had a long one on the pinky. yay all the way.

re: hmong -- as mentioned above; an ethnic group from asia. i remember having to read an essay about them during the early parts of med school as part of our cultural competency curriculum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably use the long pinky nail to pick their nose or dig for ear wax. Could be very useful for opening up envelopes or cutting the packaging tape that seals up cardboard boxes.

offTopic
12-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi Bob,

One fingernail-full is approximately equal to one-half-teaspoon of MSG.

Hope that helps,
offTopic

MrTrik
12-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah Minnesota has a huge settlement of hmong that came over back in the late 80s and early-mid 90s. It was one of Gov. Perpich's projects I believe. He got it started anyway, I could be wrong on that though.

The next project was the Somalies.

Wonder who we're gonna save next. Maybe our own homeless for once.

Apologies for the politics if you take it that way.

Dantes
12-07-2005, 07:30 PM
its pronounced mung not mong

12-07-2005, 07:32 PM
i once asked my asian friends about this, but they're all hongers, flips and nammers and only offered [censored] answers. a chinese girl in starbucks told me it's a status thing. can't do manual labour with long fingernails, therefore long fingernails are an indicator you're not working class.

mrkilla
12-07-2005, 07:33 PM
I thought it was for picking there nose and scratching there balls

Goodnews
12-07-2005, 07:39 PM
as far i know, the pinky nail is used for sniffing coke,

craig r
12-07-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was for picking there nose and scratching there balls

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one that can see why what he said is humorous?

craig

MrTrik
12-07-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its pronounced mung not mong

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored]. Wow thanks for the tip.