PDA

View Full Version : closing my office due to weather ---HAHA

bwana devil
12-07-2005, 05:34 PM
they just closed my office and are sending everyone home because they just announced it is 32 degrees outside. haha. bunch of austinites freak out when they see ice. everyone is running around my office yelling and grabbing their bags heading for the door. youd think the building is on fire.

btw i used to live in north dakota so unfortunately i do know bone chilling code.

bwana

12-07-2005, 05:37 PM
WTF?!?! We got farking 2 1/2 feet of snow on a sunday last year and we were open the next day. Farking a$$holes....

**grumbles about weak southerners**

DukeSucks
12-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Don't forget to stop at the grocery store on the way home to stock up on bread and milk /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MonkeeMan
12-07-2005, 05:40 PM
the real yucks begin when they hit the roads if there's any ice/snow. looney tunes.

12-07-2005, 05:41 PM
they closed UT down at 2 pm, i hear.

these folks up here in dallas cant drive in icy weather. they scare me.

astroglide
12-07-2005, 05:43 PM
it's 14 in st louis...

12-07-2005, 05:44 PM
ABQ will shut down for one or two inches of snow. We haven't had good snow in eight or nine years, so I think the schools are eager to use their snow days any chance they get. Gotta love it.

ScottieK

bwana devil
12-07-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the real yucks begin when they hit the roads if there's any ice/snow. looney tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I-35, the major interstate, turns into a complete gridlock. everyone is afraid to get their car over 5 mph or they think it will explode.

ooops my manager just came by for a second time and told me to go. they mean business. by for now OOT.

bwana

TomCollins
12-07-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they just closed my office and are sending everyone home because they just announced it is 32 degrees outside. haha. bunch of austinites freak out when they see ice. everyone is running around my office yelling and grabbing their bags heading for the door. youd think the building is on fire.

btw i used to live in north dakota so unfortunately i do know bone chilling code.

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

Half the people here left early to avoid the "storm". Storm being barely freezing rain and sleet.

bwana devil
12-07-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ABQ will shut down for one or two inches of snow. We haven't had good snow in eight or nine years, so I think the schools are eager to use their snow days any chance they get. Gotta love it.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Albuquerque, really? i grew up in amarillo and we got TONS of snow. hmm. didnt think there'd be that much of a difference. guess i need to consult a map.

bwana

shakingspear
12-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Ever see the "King of the Hill" episode when it lightly snowed? There was hardly anything on the ground and everyone was sliding all over the place. Boomhauer was wearing a ski suit and goggles.

Hahahahahahaha. That was funny.

12-07-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was hardly anything on the ground and everyone was sliding all over the place. Everyone was wearing a ski suit and goggles.

Hahahahahahaha. That was North Texas

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed

Razorbet
12-07-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget to stop at the grocery store on the way home to stock up on bread and milk /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You will know who got to the store late by seeing whoever is eating peanut butter and jelly on hot dog buns tomorrow. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

HopeydaFish
12-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Jeezus. When it's 32 degrees here, people show up for work in short sleeves. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's 10 degrees where I live...and it'll only get colder for the next couple of months. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12-07-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Albuquerque, really? i grew up in amarillo and we got TONS of snow. hmm. didnt think there'd be that much of a difference. guess i need to consult a map.

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, we're snow scaredy-cats. I've driven through Amarillo in the winter, back and forth to Fort Worth. On the way back one time about eight years ago, had to drive at 15-20 mph from Amarillo to ABQ because there was so much snow. The Sandia and Manzano mountains do a great job of shielding us from incoming snow from the east. Sometimes they'll shut down the Tijeras canyon on the other side of the mountain because it gets a lot of snow, but we don't get much in town.

ScottieK

wonderwes
12-07-2005, 07:19 PM
I am watching the Austin news reports. Its like a blizzard came in dumping 3 feet of snow. This is all stupid. Oh no, sleet, FEAR! First off, Dallas got some real ice/sleet but here we will hardly get anything here in Austin.

People in Texas just freak out at the smallest amount of ice/snow.

crosse91
12-07-2005, 07:25 PM
yes we do, i grew up in STL and living in austin now, this [censored] is hilarious. Why the hell did they close UT down? was i going to be unable to walk 10 minutes in NOT EVEN FREEZING weather to get to school? dumb. but appreciated.

12-07-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ever see the "King of the Hill" episode when it lightly snowed? There was hardly anything on the ground and everyone was sliding all over the place. Boomhauer was wearing a ski suit and goggles.

Hahahahahahaha. That was funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of my favorite episodes because it is so true. I live in OKC and there is less than half an inch of snow on the ground but you would think that there is six feet based on what the local news is saying. People are driving 20 mph on the highways, schools are closing, weather updates every 15 minutes reminding us that its cold and snowing..."A significant winter storm event" is what one station calls it. Gotta love it

bwana devil
12-07-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am watching the Austin news reports. Its like a blizzard came in dumping 3 feet of snow. This is all stupid. Oh no, sleet, FEAR! First off, Dallas got some real ice/sleet but here we will hardly get anything here in Austin.

People in Texas just freak out at the smallest amount of ice/snow.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the news is hilarious tonight. theyre shutting parts of the major interstate down and routing people onto the access road.

Brom
12-07-2005, 08:43 PM
So they shutdown just because it was cold, or was there snow and ice to go with it? I can only remember that happening once here; My school was closed after an average snowfall but the temperature was -47C, and something like -70C with the windchill factor. I only wish I didn't wait for the bus for an hour that day.

BCPVP
12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Thank god I don't live in a southern state where people pull this [censored]. I would probably develop a serious case of road rage if people were driving 20 mph on the highway.

bwana devil
12-07-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So they shutdown just because it was cold, or was there snow and ice to go with it? I can only remember that happening once here; My school was closed after an average snowfall but the temperature was -47C, and something like -70C with the windchill factor. I only wish I didn't wait for the bus for an hour that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

should have been more specific in my last post. it rained very lightly before nightfall. so there's concern of ice on the road. no snow.

smb394
12-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Looks like the Northeast might get a little over 6 inches Friday morning. They're saying it's right during rush hour.

My work will remain open, but they will offer to put us up in hotels (less than 1 mile away if it's gonna get bad.)

benza13
12-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Hmm, we've had 9 feet of snow in the last 2 weeks and the high today was around 5, I think. Schools were closed for one day during this time, I highly doubt any businesses were. Of course, this is Colorado, where these are just common occurrences in winter.

TomCollins
12-07-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, we've had 9 feet of snow in the last 2 weeks and the high today was around 5, I think. Schools were closed for one day during this time, I highly doubt any businesses were. Of course, this is Colorado, where these are just common occurrences in winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ice is still worse than snow, and I'm sure you know this.

Recliner
12-07-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also like to add that THEY HAVE NO ROAD SALT. I remember when there was an ice storm in when I live in Houston. Everything shut down because there was a bunch of ice on the roads and no way to get rid of it.

TomCollins
12-07-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd also like to add that THEY HAVE NO ROAD SALT. I remember when there was an ice storm in when I live in Houston. Everything shut down because there was a bunch of ice on the roads and no way to get rid of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have road salt, and a "special chemical to prevent freezing".

whiskeytown
12-08-2005, 02:57 AM
problem is that down there you guys don't have the equipment to deal with it -

here we have enough salt and snowplows to take us to the next budget crunch - (we never can buy enough for the whole winter cause it crosses two stupid fiscal years) - but the thing is we HAVE the means to clear the roads so folks can get to work.

sheeeitt - a bunch of neophytes in Austin driving on slick roads - I'd stay home too just to avoid getting hit.

RB

TomCollins
12-08-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
problem is that down there you guys don't have the equipment to deal with it -

here we have enough salt and snowplows to take us to the next budget crunch - (we never can buy enough for the whole winter cause it crosses two stupid fiscal years) - but the thing is we HAVE the means to clear the roads so folks can get to work.

sheeeitt - a bunch of neophytes in Austin driving on slick roads - I'd stay home too just to avoid getting hit.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Overnight, there was a bit of ice and freezing rain, especially on the northeast side of town, right where I live. Most of the schools in town shut down. UT shut down. Most businesses opened at 10am.

I left about 9:15, and the roads were not too bad, a few spots of ice here and there. I took one backroad, and saw a car that went off the side into a ditch. I had to try to stop on an icy stretch downhill before turning onto a busy road. That was the biggest trouble by far. The main roads were surprisingly worse than the residential roads. There was occasional icy patches, and everyone was driving 10 mph (and the occasional idiot goint 50). Took me 35 minutes where it normally takes me 10. I then got onto an even more major road (not quite a highway, but close to it), and noticed one stretch with 10 cars off the side of the road (right after a turn), including one upside down. The road was slightly slick, but as long as you didn't slam the breaks or rev the engine, you were fine. Overall, it took about 1.5 hours where it normally takes 20 minutes. The road crews poured sand on intersections, which seemed to have washed off in the spots it needed most. I didn't see salt anywhere.

The conditions were definitely not good, but nowhere in the top 10 worse conditions I've driven on. Using a slight amount of caution, and avoiding doing stupid things seems to get you through it. I have heard reports that I-35 is closed in several parts due to multi-car accidents. I find it hard to believe this happened because of anything other than driver stupidity.

bwana devil
12-08-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

where i lived in north dakota they fortunately didnt use salt on the roads. i thought the general consesus was that it was unpopular. nice to have around on the roads but will eat the car from rust. the town used all sand.

wonderwes
12-08-2005, 03:36 PM
They closed UTexas again today. Did it even break the freezing mark today?

BCPVP
12-08-2005, 03:46 PM
You Texans are [censored] pussies when it comes to cold weather.

bwana devil
12-08-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They closed UTexas again today. Did it even break the freezing mark today?

[/ QUOTE ]

i got the day off from work. i live 1 1/2 miles from there too. what a nice day.

yeah, it was 25 degrees i heard earlier on the news. i was on I-35 earlier and there were a few accidents on the upper deck.

bwana

MonkeeMan
12-08-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You Texans are [censored] pussies when it comes to cold weather.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on down in August and we'll melt your icicles for you.

BCPVP
12-08-2005, 03:59 PM
We get plenty of hot humid weather in August up here, thank you. This summer was pretty bad too. Lot of high 90 days. At least we don't flip out and shut down the city for a little ice. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

wonderwes
12-08-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i was on I-35 earlier and there were a few accidents on the upper deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can not believe people were even driving on the upper deck. Hello, driving on a 2 mile long elevated bridge might just be a bad idea. 500 reported car wrecks in the past 24 hours.

bwana devil
12-08-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We get plenty of hot humid weather in August up here, thank you. This summer was pretty bad too. Lot of high 90 days. At least we don't flip out and shut down the city for a little ice. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the hottest day last summmer (or was it summer before?) was 113. -in Austin

bwana

BCPVP
12-08-2005, 04:05 PM
I think we did have a couple days that broke 100 this summer. And that's the kind of heat where your armpits start sweating when you think about going outside.

bwana devil
12-08-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i was on I-35 earlier and there were a few accidents on the upper deck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can not believe people were even driving on the upper deck. Hello, driving on a 2 mile long elevated bridge might just be a bad idea. 500 reported car wrecks in the past 24 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was up there. it was some young girl in an SUV taking the on ramp by airport and another guy exiting at airport. those ramps are steep. they caused a bit of back up.

otherwise the upper deck itself was fine.

mantasm
12-08-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the hottest day last summmer (or was it summer before?) was 113. -in Austin

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that was two years ago. I had to move that day. Carrying furniture down 3 flights of stairs in 110 degree weather was pretty bad.

CollinEstes
12-08-2005, 04:09 PM
No doubt about it ice/snow on roads in Texas is bad news, we don't know how to drive in that [censored].

JaBlue
12-08-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think we did have a couple days that broke 100 this summer. And that's the kind of heat where your armpits start sweating when you think about going outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you're calling them pussies

I grew up in Richmond, VA and in the summers it was constantly 100ºF and 100% humidity.

MonkeeMan
12-08-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much of you highway budget goes for ice/snow removal? Now imagine if it was 0%.

TomCollins
12-08-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It stays a high of 100 for a month or more straight. This is a little more than a week long "hot streak" you get in Wisconsin. It was 90 a week ago still.

TomCollins
12-08-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much of you highway budget goes for ice/snow removal? Now imagine if it was 0%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ice is far worse than snow, anyway. I would rather have 4 inches of snow than 1/4 inch of ice.

BCPVP
12-08-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and you're calling them pussies

I grew up in Richmond, VA and in the summers it was constantly 100ºF and 100% humidity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, we take our heat and accept it. We don't start closing gov't buildings...

Mempho
12-09-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was out there last week. On Wednesday, I was trying to get from Vail to Frisco when I got stuck near the summit of Vail Pass. I had never seen "whiteout" conditions before last Wednesday and you could see nothing but white. My gf snapped a picture of it. Anyway, I'm in a [censored] Chevy Impala and there's about 2 feet of snow on I-70. Fortunately, the plow came through before I got hungry enough to eat my girlfriend. It was really romantic....two people stuck in an incredible blizzard thinking about eating each other.