PDA

View Full Version : How harmful would it be if a giant meteor struck the earth?

Jimbo
07-13-2003, 01:31 AM
After all, think of all the annoying people it would eliminate.

andyfox
07-13-2003, 01:39 AM
Apparently, the earth has been struck by giant meteors in the past. While the dinosaurs did not fare so well, the earth did just fine, as it usually does.

Ray Zee
07-13-2003, 02:18 AM
it would be a non event. our scientists would know exactly when it would hit. and all the worlds people could go to the other side of the planet. then jump up at the instant it hits. then all it would do is move the earth to the people. this is simple science. i wonder why you dont know these things.

Zeno
07-13-2003, 02:24 AM
Not Harmful enough, Jimbo!

The earth is continually pelted with a lot of space debris. Most of it just isn't very big. There have been a number of large impacts in the past though. I can't wait for the next big one. If one arrives, maybe George Bush can punch it back out into space. He is such a god (small g intentional).

Le Misanthrope

Clarkmeister
07-13-2003, 05:37 AM
Apparently harmful enough that its worth sacrificing Bruce Willis.

scalf
07-13-2003, 08:28 AM
/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif hey...when the meteor touches the earth, it becomes a meteorite...so it is a meteorite affecting earth, not a meteor...let's get these things right..huh...gl /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Jimbo
07-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Scalf you are of course correct however I was limited by the number of characters I was allowed to use in a heading. Therefore to keep the message clear I was forced to use meteor rather than the correct and more lenghty word meteorite. Thanks for your astute observation.

Ray Zee hit the nail on the head with his solution. That is why he is retired on a ranch in Montana and I am still grinding out a meager living.

Clarkmeister brought up a good point as well, it must be pretty serious to give up Bruce! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Zeno captured the essence of the power wielded by President Bush. Now there is one more reason to reelect him for another term, just in case we have a pesky meteorite attack.

Andy is showing his optimism, after all the dinosaurs are already gone. If Ray Zee had been a caveman back then he would have trained the dinosaurs to migrate and jump on command! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Glenn
07-13-2003, 12:50 PM
"Zeno captured the essence of the power wielded by President Bush. Now there is one more reason to reelect him for another term, just in case we have a pesky meteorite attack"

If George found out about meteorites all hell would break loose. He would round up every rock in America and send them to Cuba because of their relation to the enemy. Then he would declare war on the Alps for harboring weapons of mass destruction. Thank god they don't cover that space stuff until 5th grade.

I am screwed when the Total Information Awareness office reads that.

brad
07-18-2003, 08:08 AM
http://www.salon.com/comics/tomo/2003/01/13/tomo/story.jpg