PDA

View Full Version : Advice on where to play. (a little long)

12-07-2005, 05:13 PM
I tried searching for this but couldn't find much on what I was looking for.

I was wondering how you guys got to mid stakes holdem? I've been playing small stakes(Party) for a little while and posting some on that forum. The basic advice there is start at a low limit like 2/4. Play 10-20k hands and if you're beating the game, move up to 3/6 and repeat. Is this how most of you worked your way up or did you just jump in and see how you did?

I'll tell you my story and maybe some people can give me advice on what to do. Or if it's too much to read, maybe just comment on how you made it where you're playing today.

I was a winning SSNL player for a while before I moved to limit. I just did it for a change because NL was boring me. I've played a lot of limit in the past, so I didn't have a big learning curve. I started playing 3/6 and I noticed there seemed to be a lot more bad players in limit. I decided to stick with it and I did decent while making the full adjustment and relearning some old concepts I had forgotten.

3 days ago I decided to give 5/10 a shot because I was getting pretty stagnant at 3/6, and it just felt like a good idea. I just played one table and focused on all the players, trying to isolate the weaker ones. I hit a good run and was playing good, so I went up $400 that night.

The next day was HUGE for me. I decided to keep playing 5/10 with my same strategy and it was working again. I went up another $400 after only a couple hours. There was one really bad player at the table I added to my buddy list, who left before she busted. I searched for her and found her playing 15/30. I decided to take a shot and see what I could do. I was pretty nervous thinking all the other players at the table might be sharks. When I got to the table I found another bad 5/10 player from yesterday there too. So I bought in really short for $300 so my bankroll wouldn't take too big of a hit if I got destroyed there. I quickly noticed that several other players at the table weren't good either. One guy was making the girl I followed look like Doyle Brunson he was playing so bad. His stats were around 80/20/1.5. My good run continued and when the table broke up a little over an hour later, I was up $900. I bounced around 5/10 and 10/20 for the rest of the day and finished up $1900. Which is huge for someone who was playing 3/6 a couple days earlier. Today and yesterday have been more of me playing 5/10 and taking shots at 15/30 when I can get a seat to a fish's left. I've gone up about another $1k, mostly from the 15/30 tables.

I used to think these games were sooooo much harder to beat than the small stakes games and there were hardly any bad players at this level. But now it seems not so much. I think this might be a misconception a lot of small stakes players have. If this even is a misconception, I don't exactly have a lot of experience in mid stakes either.

The 2 things I've changed recently is playing only 1 or 2 tables instead of multitabling and really working hard on my table selection. I take a fair amount of time trying to sit at the weakest table I can find. I had heard how important table selection was, but I'd never really grasped the concept until recently. I'm now realizing it first hand.

So now my plan is to play 5/10 and only jump up to 15/30 when the game looks really good. I'm not bankrolled enough for 15/30. I'm not even really properly bankrolled for 5/10. I plan on working up my bankroll a few hundred dollars inbetween each cash out.

Is this a good idea? Or do you think grinding out the small stakes and slowly but surely moving up is a better idea? Or maybe you have another idea all together.

CardSharpCook
12-07-2005, 05:22 PM
tl;dr

Play the limits you can afford. 300BBs is the general rule. Yes, everyone here started SS and moved up.

BigEndian
12-07-2005, 05:44 PM
The idea is ok as long as you can take the mental abuse of losing $2500 in a day. You can keep buying in short and while costing yourself some value, give yourself some protection against beats.

There are bad players everywhere. I've found that moving up has mostly to do with money management and psychology - while making small adjustments at every level.

- Jim

12-07-2005, 05:47 PM
I think if you'e been playing the 2/4 and 3/6 for a while and don't have the bankroll for the 5/10 then it's probably not a great idea b/c it most likely means u have not been winning that much at the lower levels.... at the 15/30 it is certainly possible to find some fish.... the first true difference in skill level that I noticed was the 20/40, but then again I played exclusively shorthanded when I was at the 15/30.... I worked my way up playing each level.... I personally don't think it's a great idea to ever jump into the 15/30 if u aren't even bankrolled for the 5/10, but if this works for u then gl in the future

lil feller
12-07-2005, 10:03 PM
The problem I think you're missing is that even if you play great, you can get pounded for a lot of bets. If you aren't prepared to move back down, and instead put your last 20 bets on the table to try to get even, you're in trouble. If you can be smart with you BR and not be afraid to move back down, it certainly can't hurt to try. Just don't let pride keep you in a limit you can't afford, or can't beat just yet.

good luck,

lf