PDA

View Full Version : Pokertracker

TripKings
12-07-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm a small stakes NL player seeking advice from more experienced players.

Am I giving up too much by not using pokertracker? If so, what info/advantage does pokertracker give you?

I did a search and didn't find anything - if there is a good thread somewhere, just point me too it and I'll leave y'all alone.

Thanks

-TripKings

pokerjoker
12-07-2005, 04:29 PM
it lets u analyze ur play...in addition to gametime+ it allows you to have information about players even if ur not paying attention. Its definately worth $55.

swarm
12-07-2005, 06:37 PM
It's worth the money, I question the validity of it's 6max rankings, the few sets of rules out there to implement are suspect.

The best part is analyzing your aggression level, position where you are winning and losing money, and what hands you are winning and losing at. You can certainly find and fix leaks quite easily by routinely looking through it.

Keeping notes on other players is indeed a necessary tool as you move up stakes as well.

Wayfare
12-07-2005, 06:50 PM
It's great for figuring out who the fishies are quickly and easily. Great program, great customer support.

It's also great to remember when you got it all in with the fish drawing dead, when you won that $600 pot with unimproved AK, when you sucked out on someone hard.

TripKings
12-08-2005, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the replys.

Sounds like I need to get PT. Until then... what are the numbers that many posters put with a HH? ie. 49/24/1.29.

Thanks again.

-TripKings

12-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Normally 1st number is Voluntarily put money into pot...ie playing too many hands.

2nd number is preflop raise percentage.

3rd number is combined post flop aggression percentage.

TripKings
12-08-2005, 01:23 PM
So, going with the numbers I used:

That player has a "VP$P" of 49%? 49% of what, all the hands delt to him?

And when he comes into a pot its for a PF raise 24% of the time?

Backing up: So, the #'s PT generates are not only from that session, but keeps track of all the hands you've played against each player? ie cards they had at showdown, how the play from certain positions, how tite or loose they are...etc? PT automatically tracks this data as you play?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to understand if this is something that's easy to use/understand.

-TripKings

Officer Farva
12-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Very easy to use, very easy to understand. Keeps session specific notes and prints out a summary.

Why not try a free demo?

Even better is once you have PT, you can get PokerAce HUD display, which automatically posts the vpip/pre stats next to the player. Also, it lets you see the hole cards of mucked hands at showdowns.

I play 400 6 max and use it quite a bit. It gives a quantifiable measurement of the fishiness of certain players, and rates the overall agression of the table. I especially like knowing my current agression at the table, so I am aware of the tables perception of me. If I look loose, I'm a lot less likely to raise that A8s from ep, etc.

For multitabling, it is priceless. There is no way you can mentally keep track of the agression levels of multiple players at multiple tables. Say your'e focusing on a big hand on one table. All the sudden, you pick up aj in mid position at another table, so you raise as always. Suddnely, the small blind comes over the top of you. You check his stats: 15/5. This guy is tight passive, never raises preflop. Throw it away.

Some people even sit at tables and let the PT accumalate hands on a table, then use the output to judge whether or not its a profitable table to sit at. Beats the hell out of "avg pot size", which is a joke.

In short, I hope you don't buy PT, because I dont want you to know just how fishy I really am /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

Wayfare
12-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Poker tracker records all information available during the hand, including the opponent's mucked hole cards etc.

Not only does PT record all the data, you can parse (seperate) it into sessions, positions, stakes, even time-of-day!

VP$IP means he voluntarily puts money in the pot X% of the time. It is applicable for all positions except checked big blinds.

You also get a free add on which imports any and all data about the players right onto your game screen as a heads-up-display.

I cannot endorse this enough.

TripKings
12-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys. I'm sold. I need to shut up and get onboard.

One last thing, does this work on all poker sites equally? I currently play on Paradise exclusively.

-TripKings

Wayfare
12-08-2005, 01:59 PM
One of the main tabs at start up is look for emails from "paradise poker," leading me to believe that paradise works with PT.

However, you should definately demo and make sure before spending any money.

Big_Jim
12-08-2005, 02:22 PM
I haven't personally used it, but people who use PokerOffice say it's way better.