PDA

View Full Version : A Basic Preflop Question? AJo OTB

tiltaholic
12-07-2005, 03:34 PM
You are on the button with AJo

It is folded to MP3, a slightly loose but aggressive player who tends to overplay hands postflop, open raises. His stats are something like 27/14/2.5.

CO folds...

What do you do assuming the blinds are fairly decent players?

car ramrod
12-07-2005, 03:41 PM
I like a 3bet in this spot. His opening range is probably pretty wide. Getting it hu would be great. Bet the flop, and watch how often he folds.

tiltaholic
12-07-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like a 3bet in this spot. His opening range is probably pretty wide. Getting it hu would be great. Bet the flop, and watch how often he folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean the bolded part to be:

note how often he folds for future reference?

or

i think he'll fold a lot.

because my read of him "overplaying hands postflop" means to me that i don't think he's folding very often or at all to a flop bet.

bottomset
12-07-2005, 03:53 PM
I think you still want it HU with initiative, and an edge over his range

plus you have position which really helps in these situations against this type of player

Eeegah
12-07-2005, 03:54 PM
If we're going we're 3-betting for sure. Yeah I think we can take a stab at it.

@bsolute_luck
12-07-2005, 03:57 PM
easiest 3-bet for value and no i'm not folding if he caps.

Aaron W.
12-07-2005, 03:57 PM
This should be an automatic 3-bet.

What do you mean by "overplay" hands? Does this mean he won't slow down if his A5 hits a pair of aces and you raise him on the flop? Does it mean that he'll keep betting 77 on all streets to try to make you fold a pair? In either case, AJo probably has the best of it, but by taking dramatically different lines.

car ramrod
12-07-2005, 03:58 PM
I meant it to be he will fold a lot. I missed the part about him over playing hands post flop, but do you think your 3bet pf will slow him down post flop? Most guys like him will over play hands against you if you raised pf and they limped, but when you 3bet them they tend to give you more credit.

I still think you have a better hand then him often. You may have to outplay him post flop.

milesdyson
12-07-2005, 03:58 PM
so he's opening two off the button. his range is massive. his stats are similar to my shorthanded stats. so his range should be close to what i'd raise utg 5-handed.

and i would definitely 3-bet myself with AJo. coldcalling is bad because you're giving the blinds a chance to enter and you're relying on flopping something to win the hand.

MrWookie47
12-07-2005, 04:09 PM
This is one where reading it at face value (just stats) I toss it. Had I been at the table and I saw what sorts of things he was willing to raise, I could easily 3bet.

car ramrod
12-07-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is one where reading it at face value (just stats) I toss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

with those stats I think his opening range here is wide, and I 3bet it. But, with Tilt's read, it's a matter of whether you think he will outplay you post flop. I don't think a fold is terrible, but with those stats I see him raising a lot of hands we dominate.

kiemo
12-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Becuase my past experiences with AJo means I am either winning a tiny pot or losing a huge pot. I would rather save myself the aggravation and just fold it. Just me though, I would expect most to 3 bet this.

Aaron W.
12-07-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Becuase my past experiences with AJo means I am either winning a tiny pot or losing a huge pot. I would rather save myself the aggravation and just fold it. Just me though, I would expect most to 3 bet this.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many experiences do you have in position with AJo against an aggressive late position open-raiser?

12-07-2005, 05:02 PM
folding to a cap is so sad I want to cry

car ramrod
12-07-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many experiences do you have in position with AJo against an aggressive late position open-raiser?

[/ QUOTE ]

just 1, but it came out real bad. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hashiell_Dammett
12-07-2005, 05:04 PM
No limpers and no cold callers?
And the two players to my left are decent players?
I'm getting up and finding a better table!

tiltaholic
12-07-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

twas a joke.

tiltaholic
12-07-2005, 05:20 PM
thanks for the input...

i don't know if i think this is an some 3-bet as many are saying. it might be because i am usually more willing to 3-bet these hands for value when the raiser is likely to give up postflop (as opposed to not giving up which was what i tried to convey in my "read"). but i'd agree based on his stats and his position that we're likely in good shape before the flop comes down.

for the people who voted cold call, well, don't.

droolie
12-07-2005, 05:32 PM
With his range and the fact the he's surely trying to take advantage of 3 TAG's behind him when he's 1st in, his range probably includes a bunch of hands we would surely love to smack down. Any A, any two broadway, any pocket pair seem like reasonable holdings.

The fact that he overplays his hands means our implied odds are quite good in this situation if we spike a A or J. He'll lead into us with any pocket pair all three streets and we'll have him dominated a good % of the time.

AJ is about as low as I wanna go with this line of thought though as our equity edge is marginal here and becomes a deficit as we get weaker A's.

12-07-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm new... so I'm probably wrong, but...

It seems to me that if he's only slightly loose, we could be facing an expensive loss if he's got AK-AQ-AA. If he was a maniac, raising every hand, that would be a different story.

If I was in this spot, I would fold.

car ramrod
12-07-2005, 05:55 PM
he's only slightly loose limping, but he raises 14% of his hands, now consider that he is first to act in middle/late position. He is going to be willing to raise more hands then he would in early position. So, we don't value his raise as much, and no way can we say, he must have AK or AQ.

If he was a tight 15/8 guy, then maybe we could muck it.

Does that make sense?

Shillx
12-07-2005, 06:09 PM
3-bet and fold to a cap. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Good start to the morning right there.

How can we not 3-bet here (and then fold to a cap /images/graemlins/smile.gif)?

If the dude pops 25% we have 57% equity. If he pops 30% we have 58% equity. He is probably popping somewhere along those lines, so I really like a 3-bet (fold to a cap? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) line. We want to play him HU rather then play 3-ways with teh big bling.

12-07-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he's only slightly loose limping, but he raises 14% of his hands,...

Does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I'm not yet at a level of keeping stats on other players, so that stuff is going over my head for now.

I just keep mental notes, LAG, TAG, Maniac, Rock, etc. The more I think about it, if I had him pegged as a LAG, I would probably 3-bet after all. I guess it was the "slightly" in slighty loose that made me nervous.

Rob
Edit:
About the folding to a cap stuff...

If we 3-bet, don't we have enough invested at this point to call 4 and see the flop, with the understanding that top pair is not going to win it. Wrong thinking?

Eeegah
12-07-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he's only slightly loose limping...Does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, MP3 is bozlax /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bozlax
12-07-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he's only slightly loose limping...Does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, MP3 is bozlax /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I'm very loose, and leave my bad leg out of it!

12-07-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

twas a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

omfglol! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guruman
12-07-2005, 09:38 PM
AJo is easily a favorite vs a loose agg player in late position.

I reraise for value and to get the blinds out. Since they're decent, they are folding most things that they arent capping. If a blind open-caps or cold calls three, I know I need to make a hand.

If I get HU, I may be able show down UI.