PDA

View Full Version : First time 20-40

anatta
07-12-2003, 09:04 PM
After playing 8-16 kill since November, losing the first month but winning since, I decide its time to move up to 20-40, the next highest limit nearby.

After 3 minutes of 3-6, I am seated in a new 20-40 game. I buy in, thinking "damn, that's all the cookies I get for 700 bucks". I am a little nervous, but not so bad. After folding a few hands, I'm ok.

I am using the John Feeney "Inside the Mind" move-up strategy. I plan to fold AJo, KQo in EP. I hadn't planned on it, but I fold AXs twice when folded to me in early middle postion once the game seems loose, but aggressive. Post flop, I am folding, not raising, middle pair when player to my right bets. I am checking the turn headsup against guys who like to check-raise with my unimproved AK, AQ (I know...weak).

Lucky for me, early on I flop a set in a capped flop. I trap the player to my right with a turn check raise when I know the almost all-in guy to my left is going to bet the turn. Full house good. I think, "its easier to be up $800 in this game then at 8-16". So at that point I know I am either leaving up $500 or up $1000.

A lot of my opponents play bad. One guy called all the way to the river with 77 on a board with 3 overcards. After an ace hit on the end, he check-raised, and was called by a guy who had been betting AK unimproved until the river, after not raising before the flop. One guy tried to run over a tight old lady who three bet before the flop. He said, "I missed" and showed no real draw, she had AA. I saw cold calls with 87o, A3o (both won huge pots).

One hand, an unknown player open raised in Early MP. I wussed out and called in SB with JJ. BB folded. Flop K92r. I checked and folded. But it wasn't all like this, I did my share of thin value bets on the end, I three betted before the flop with my AK's, stole a few small pots on the flop. All in all I think I played well and happily left over a grand richer. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I didn't see Mike l., maybe tomorrow. I did see some of the "colorful" players he describes so well. I am excited. The game seemed soft. I realize that its easy to play well when you are up, the trick is to hold it together when you run bad. Time will tell...

Dynasty
07-12-2003, 11:51 PM
It sounds like you played a bit too passively than is optimal. But, that's not too bad for your first time out at a limit twice what your used to. A very tight, moderately aggressive approach is very justifiable. But, you have to be aware that you aren't playing your A-game with this approach. You were probably playing a safe B/B+ game.

andyfox
07-13-2003, 01:12 AM
"its easier to be up $800 in this game then at 8-16. So at that point I know I am either leaving up $500 or up $1000."

I like this approach for your first venture at the higher stakes. Yes, theory dictates you should keep playing without a stop-loss system depending only upon whether you are a favorite to win or not. But is can be psychologically devastating to get up a lot and then lose it back.

"I am checking the turn headsup against guys who like to check-raise with my unimproved AK, AQ"

While you may be giving up some value here, the fact that you were aware who to be wary of is a good sign.

Hope you run into mike l, but away from the table. He's a good man, a nice man, but a tough opponent.