PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for HOH 3 (HOH4?? - miller NL??)

12-07-2005, 01:09 PM
i vaguely recall dan harrington soliciting constructive advice as to what to include in another no-limit book (and it was awhile ago, so he may be close to being finished).

here are my thoughts:

1) more medium zone strategy (15-20X Big blind). seems like you are on the orange zone (correct zone color??) for huge periods of time in the later half of tournaments.

2) some analysis of differences between 2,3,4,5,6 person remaining. hand values change alot. 6 is triple 2 players, whereas 10 players is only 66% higher than 6 player. king yao seems to be the only person that differentiates clearly between 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 play and i'd argue there are huge differences.

3) more advice on SNG's and quicker tournaments that most us play. i don't know how many of us will realistically be playing a 3 day tournament.

4) more advice on the type of players we play against. loose/passive, calling stations, maniacs etc. i think most of the big authors (phil gordon too) are pretty used to big-$$$$$$ games with very few callers. they seem to think 2 callers is loose.

5) ties into point 4 and point 1. but seems in medium zone, there is such a tradeoff between cash game +EV vs. constrained chip stack. he talks about it, but it is so fundamental to your play.

i may not have my zone perfect, but i think we all know when we start to realize, "hey, i don't have massive chips vs. blinds anymore"

my big thing with harrington (and i loved his books) is that it seems to jump from early-mid stage to very late stage very quickly. and i think most of my comments have to do with that in-between zone (often near bubble too).

any other suggestions?? if harrington has written HOH 3 already, then maybe he can put some of this in HOH 4

all responses greatly appreciated!

12-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Yellow Zone ... That is the hard one to play .. 10<M<20

All Harrington says is play in aggressive style or superaggressive and points to his very very short chapter on this in vol. 1

There is another post in this forum that ask a similar question ... there people point to Supersystem ... but that really is not enough ... or maybe I am just not a natural. As I said in that post, I usually just end up drifting through the yellow zone and into the orange, where I basically just go berserk and push whenever nobody hasn't pushed in front of me. (Which sometimes works like a charm .. I am just tired of always being shortstacked when nearing the bubble (on the other hand, I usually have busted out of tourney just outside money or largestacked when nearing the final table ... maybe one shouldn't complain)

12-07-2005, 03:54 PM
yup, i think i like all of harrington's advice...

and i agree. when i get short or semi-short stacked, i'll push first, or frankly, i don't even mind pushing after a caller or two (then i will push something decent, not just anything).

but i'm glad that you agree that there seem to be a few areas that harrington could really elaborate on further.

i know everyone loves HOH 1/2 (as do i), but if you go thru the two book's contents, you'll notice there isn't that much for that medium zone (and in 100 person tournaments and SNG's, i'd say i spend almost the entire time in medium zone - if i'm lucky!!!)