PDA

View Full Version : IT has happened to me

1C5
12-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Irie said a post is allowed if IT happens.

40 buy in downswing.

Lost money over last 750 games.

This qualifies as "it" in my books.

GtrHtr
12-07-2005, 12:57 PM
40 in a row? If so, you have the new record at the 11s/22s, pm Pergesu to get the trophy.

Review your hands. Send them to posters you respect to review. Play some PL Omaha/8 - not a joke.

1C5
12-07-2005, 01:03 PM
No, not 40 in a row, just a 40 downswing which is pretty bad in itself.

26 in a row is my record, real proud of that one.

Slim Pickens
12-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Feh... I've dropped 40 buy-ins before. It's not that big a deal if you're properly bankrolled and not afraid to drop down if need be.

1C5
12-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah, no big deal really, I agree, still sucks a bit though.

pooh74
12-07-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

40 buy in downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frustrating man...I'm sorry. Drop down and just try to have fun and win. You'll be back to your BI level in no time and this will be but a distant memory. Also have someone who plays party 22s, or whatever you play, go over your HHs.

zipppy
12-07-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

40 buy in downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frustrating man...I'm sorry. Drop down and just try to have fun and win. You'll be back to your BI level in no time and this will be but a distant memory. Also have someone who plays party 22s, or whatever you play, go over your HHs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an idea..start playing the 109s. You've got to start winning eventually, and this way you'll make a lot more money! /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wiggs73
12-07-2005, 01:50 PM
that's a hell of a bad streak. the only upside is that if i understand variance at all (and if you're a winning player, which i'm reasonable certain that you are), it pretty much HAS to end soon.

going along with what other posters have said... my advice would be to take a break, play some games besides sng's, or play just 1 sng at a time for a bit and really concentrate on working out any kinks in your game. i've found that most of my downswings are attributed at least partially to things besides variance, whether it be that i'm burnt out on poker in general, sng's specifically, or i'm not paying attention.

if you want me to look over any hh's, i'll be happy to. i'm sure that you've helped me during the past year by posting on here so i'd be happy to return the favor.

tshort
12-07-2005, 01:52 PM
That eBay commercial is going to give me nightmares.

Mr_J
12-07-2005, 02:00 PM
I've dropped 40+ twice, so I don't see it as anything special. Being down after 750 is definately worthy of some bitching though. That's 2-3 weeks work for someone putting in decent hours.

pergesu
12-07-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
40 in a row? If so, you have the new record at the 11s/22s, pm Pergesu to get the trophy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong...when I started playing again, I lost my first four as well, extending it to 42.

NOBODY WILL EVER CHALLENGE ME

krishanleong
12-07-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

40 buy in downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a short hand player. Can someone tell me about how much money the worst reported downswing would be at say the 55s? I'm guessing 2K? The 109s? 4K?

I'm suprised that there haven't been worse cases reported. Makes it seem like the variance is relatively light in sit and gos.

If this is true I think I'll pick up SNG as my second game sometime.

Krishan

wuwei
12-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Krishan,

It's generally accepted that SNGs have the lowest variance when compared to ring games and MTTs. I don't recall the largest downswings posted at those stakes, but I imagine it's higher. I kicked off December by dropping $1500 at the 55s over 50 tournaments, which is my highest (and has occurred multiple times).

IC5, as you know by now, IT happens. Getting through IT is part of playing these games - if you can do it, you're ready for anything SNGs can throw at you.

psyduck
12-07-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong...when I started playing again, I lost my first four as well, extending it to 42.

[/ QUOTE ]

the meaning of life... that's deep mang

krishanleong
12-07-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Krishan,

It's generally accepted that SNGs have the lowest variance when compared to ring games and MTTs. I don't recall the largest downswings posted at those stakes, but I imagine it's higher. I kicked off December by dropping $1500 at the 55s over 50 tournaments, which is my highest (and has occurred multiple times).

IC5, as you know by now, IT happens. Getting through IT is part of playing these games - if you can do it, you're ready for anything SNGs can throw at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'm going to ask the most hate question. What sort of win rates can you achieve? I think an ROI of 30% is achievable? So in the 55s you make 18 per tourny? Figuring 8 tournies an hour? So 144 per hour? Is that right? Seems high...

For reference at 5/10 short I have about 250ish hours at 130+ per hour (rakeback + bonus included). And I was by no means a tremendous shorthand player at that time.

Krishan

GtrHtr
12-07-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I was wro...something. Anyway, you get to keep the trophy but get the "L" glued back on top. I hope you learned your lesson BTW. Did throwing it against the wall help at all? No. It just broke your trophy and now you have to fix it.

tigerite
12-07-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm a short hand player. Can someone tell me about how much money the worst reported downswing would be at say the 55s? I'm guessing 2K? The 109s? 4K?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 3k drop at the $55s, or so. Hard to be sure because none of the graphing utilities work on Tournaments with PTracker and PostgreSQL, and SNG tracker has errored a load of files, for a change. But it was certainly round about 3k.

Slim Pickens
12-07-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the only upside is that if i understand variance at all (and if you're a winning player, which i'm reasonable certain that you are), it pretty much HAS to end soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack. No.

wuwei
12-07-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'm going to ask the most hate question. What sort of win rates can you achieve? I think an ROI of 30% is achievable? So in the 55s you make 18 per tourny? Figuring 8 tournies an hour? So 144 per hour? Is that right? Seems high...

For reference at 5/10 short I have about 250ish hours at 130+ per hour (rakeback + bonus included). And I was by no means a tremendous shorthand player at that time.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a look at the FAQ for a brief discussion of winrates. 30% is too high, sustaining >20% ROI at the 55s is very, very good. The upside of your earn at comparable SH games is going to be higher than SNGs.

wuwei
12-07-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the only upside is that if i understand variance at all (and if you're a winning player, which i'm reasonable certain that you are), it pretty much HAS to end soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack. No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grekehaus posts goot. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=singletable&Number=412538 1&Searchpage=1&Main=4123600&Words=+GrekeHaus&topic =&Search=true#Post4125381)

krishanleong
12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Take a look at the FAQ for a brief discussion of winrates. 30% is too high, sustaining >20% ROI at the 55s is very, very good. The upside of your earn at comparable SH games is going to be higher than SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I looked at the FAC and found the answers I wanted.

Krishan

pergesu
12-07-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack. No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I thought one of the [censored] things about all of this is that if it can happen once, it can happen twice...in a row /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

pooh74
12-07-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

40 buy in downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an idea..start playing the 109s. You've got to start winning eventually, and this way you'll make a lot more money! /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What about my advice warranted that sarcasm? He's a winning player overall and by dropping down and relaxing, he'll not only be able to breathe a little easier, but will be facing worse competition. Obviously, if is has leaks, go over the HHs and plug them.

wiggs73
12-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Ok, I know that it doesn't HAVE to end soon. But come on, isn't that more encouraging than saying "hold on, another 40 could be on their way... starting now". I understand that results are independent of each other, but unless he is on the way far extreme right or left of the curve, he'll probably hit a winning streak soon.

Another way of thinking about this is that when I go on a heater, I usually think 'well great, i'm going on a downswing soon to make up for it.' I obviously don't have to be, but the numbers usually do even out in one way or another. I don't expect to stay on heaters for forever and I think it's reasonable to think that his downswing will end soon.

kevstreet
12-07-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Play some PL Omaha/8 - not a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing different games actually worked a little. I decided to clear some bonuses to alleviate some of the pressure from my SNG downswing. Obviously to clear the bonuses I had to play Limit and NL cash games. Quite frankly the NL games were exhilarating. For some reason raising $30 seemed like a lot of money compared to playing a $20 or $30 SnG, in fact my heart raced during a few hands (which never happens in STTs anymore.) And the limit games were kind of fun. It allowed me to chase some draws I normally wouldn't. Oh and when I was done clearing the bonuses (for cool gifts) I played some $10 O8 SnGs which are a blast. Give it a try, if it doesn't work the single tables will be waiting.

Slim Pickens
12-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Yeah, well, ignorance is bliss I guess. I don't think it's a good idea to deny reality when you know better though. Even though it's easier in the short term, denial is always more frustrating in the long run than just f-ing dealing with it.

12-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Even the largest down-swings that winning SNG players report here are pretty low, relative to other forms of poker.... we, as SNG players, have it easy--- though that doesn't keep us from bitching and moaning.

Taraz
12-07-2005, 07:16 PM
I feel your pain man. Although my 25 buy-in downswing doesn't seem so bad after reading about your misfortune. Hopefully it'll turn around for all of us who aren't doing so well.