PDA

View Full Version : Pinstripe suits and job interview

12-07-2005, 12:08 PM
wearing a pinstripe suit to a consulting job interview.... +EV or -EV?

MrMoo
12-07-2005, 12:10 PM
I've worn one twice with no complaints. It's a very subtle pinstripe though. When I bought the suit I told the guy I was purchasing it for an interview. It was one of the one he recommended.

Hornacek
-EV. Go for the solid black. Power red tie.

tonypaladino
[ QUOTE ]
+EV or -EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

stop it.

4_2_it
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
If it looks gangsterish, then no, if the suit is dark and the stripes are subtle, fine. White shirt, nice tie with red in it.

IndieMatty
12-07-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
+EV or -EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

less worrying about the clothes, more worrying about sounding like a douche

12-07-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it looks gangsterish, then no, if the suit is dark and the stripes are subtle, fine. White shirt, nice tie with red in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no Al Capone / John Gotti look. But wearing a suit is a big step in the right direction. Good luck!

ScottieK

12-07-2005, 12:30 PM
so wearing a black / dark suit with a white shirt, red tie, that would be the best idea?

jakethebake
12-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Something like this.

http://www.chadtheatrical.com/Black%20Zoot%20Suit.jpg

http://www.melodeeii.com/catalog/images/008mle.zoot-stripe.jpg

Shajen
12-07-2005, 12:35 PM
No. Wear a nice looking suit. A red "power" tie is retarded.

It doesn't matter, what looks good on someone else may not look good on you.

If the pin stripes look good on you, wear that.

12-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Jake: That was EXACTLY the look I was going for. =)

Mvcode3
12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Are pinstripes more formal/flashy then a solid suit? I made a presentation for a business class in a pinstripe suit and people kept making comments about it. I didn't think it was any more formal/flashy then any other suit.

12-07-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are pinstripes more formal/flashy then a solid suit? I made a presentation for a business class in a pinstripe suit and people kept making comments about it. I didn't think it was any more formal/flashy then any other suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that obvious pinstripes are less formal than a solid suit. Pinstripes to me suggest a zoot suit / gangster image. Pretty good for swing dancing, not so good for the boardroom. I don't think I've ever seen a businessman wearing pinstripes. I've got a suit that has faint pinstripes in it, so faint that most people can't tell....but that's not what I'm talking about.

ScottieK

Gunny Highway
12-07-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that obvious pinstripes are less formal than a solid suit. Pinstripes to me suggest a zoot suit / gangster image. Pretty good for swing dancing, not so good for the boardroom. I don't think I've ever seen a businessman wearing pinstripes. I've got a suit that has faint pinstripes in it, so faint that most people can't tell....but that's not what I'm talking about.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell ARE you talking about?

TheWorstPlayer
12-07-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I'm wearing a black pin striped suit from Barneys right now and looked totally fine in the Board meeting I just got out of. I wasn't the only one wearing pin stripes. They are, of course, subtle. Although my favorite suit of all time is the one Jalen Rose wore on draft night. Maybe someone who's good at these things can find a pic on the web. It's SOOOOOOOO sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

12-07-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about. What I'm trying to say is that wearing a suit with pinstripes you can see from across the room probably isn't appropriate for business professional dress. Unless you're interviewing for a mafia position. Younger guys can get away with flashier colors and patterns in business dress, but I don't think they can get away with this much (like the pics posted.) I'm pretty positive that if I showed up to a meeting wearing a gangsterish pinstripe suit, my boss and my boss's boss would pull me aside and say "don't wear that suit in here ever again."

ScottieK

TheWorstPlayer
12-07-2005, 01:19 PM
I found the pic.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3439/memoriesrose8kj.jpg

Gunny Highway
12-07-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I don't know what I'm talking about. What I'm trying to say is that wearing a suit with pinstripes you can see from across the room probably isn't appropriate for business professional dress. Unless you're interviewing for a mafia position. Younger guys can get away with flashier colors and patterns in business dress, but I don't think they can get away with this much (like the pics posted.) I'm pretty positive that if I showed up to a meeting wearing a gangsterish pinstripe suit, my boss and my boss's boss would pull me aside and say "don't wear that suit in here ever again."

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully the op realizes this bit of common sense. However, pinstriped business suits are very common.

miajag81
12-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Every male attorney at the firm where I work wears pinstriped suits on a regular basis.

Mens Rea
12-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Pinstripes are fine, provided they are subtle. Navy or charcoal grey suit with light, thin stripes works fine. If you go with a grey suit, pick carefully. Poorly made grey suits look [censored] and cheap.

The tie should match the suit, first and foremost. Nothing loud or obnoxious. Best bet is to go with a diagonal striped tie with at least one of the colors matching that of the suit.

sfer
12-07-2005, 02:02 PM
All of these pictures are not of pinstripes. The notion of pinstripes are informal or flashy are retarded.

12-07-2005, 03:31 PM
From what I gather, it seems as if the key word with regards to pinstripes is that it should be either subtle and / or light / thin. Which then begs the question... how would one define subtle light / thin.

The suit I'm planning to wear is one that I wore periodically while I was working in Japan / China, and nobody made any comments. Either that, or else they thought I was a stupid foreigner that wanted to look like he worked in Gotti's crew.

Either way, how would one define subtle / thin / light... or should I just post a picture of the suit and let the masses decide?

bobman0330
12-07-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All of these pictures are not of pinstripes. The notion of pinstripes are informal or flashy are retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pinstripes. (http://www.menswearhouse.com/home_page/shop_online/product_categories/so412_single_item_template.jsp?currentLook=1408474 395558755&FOLDER<>folder_id=1408474395558434&bmUID =1133985910427)

12-07-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pinstripes. (http://www.menswearhouse.com/home_page/shop_online/product_categories/so412_single_item_template.jsp?currentLook=1408474 395558755&FOLDER<>folder_id=1408474395558434&bmUID =1133985910427)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's more like the pinstripe suit i'm talking about. except it's dark blue with light blue pinstripes. would that still be okay for an interview?

yeah i just got bounced out of my old job and the job i'm interviewing is probably the best job i can find around. so... it'd be nice if I could make a good impression.

12-07-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's more like the pinstripe suit i'm talking about. except it's dark blue with light blue pinstripes. would that still be okay for an interview?

yeah i just got bounced out of my old job and the job i'm interviewing is probably the best job i can find around. so... it'd be nice if I could make a good impression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks good to me. Good luck.

ScottieK