PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe the Lakers pulled it out *NM* *NM*

05-26-2002, 09:55 PM

05-27-2002, 12:42 AM
The history of the NBA, basically, is the history of the Boston Celtics, or a Phil Jackson coached team, or the Los Angeles Lakers pulling out games they just couldn't win. Yet they win 'em.

Sam Jones's shot hits the front of the rim BELOW the level of the opening of the hoop and, incredibly, bounces up and over and in.

"Johnny Havlicek Stole the Ball!"

Kareem goes down and Magic plays center, scoring 42 points.

I'm sure you all have your own examples. But no two examples are more potent, more memorable, than the last two games these two teams played. Seems like it just ain't in the cards (or in NBC's plans) for Sacramento and New Jersey to be in the finals.

05-27-2002, 10:50 AM
Andy,

You wrote: "Seems like it just ain't in the cards (or in NBC's plans) for Sacramento and New Jersey to be in the finals.

I thought you didn't believe in conspiracies!

Regards,

Rick

05-27-2002, 04:51 PM
Did anyone else notice that Walker's 3 at the end of the first half wasn't even questioned by the referees or the announcers? Even a biased Laker fan would have to admit that if he DID beat the clock it was by a millisecond. As for conspiracy theories, I don't think anyone would deny that a Sacramento/New Jersey final would be a ratings disaster. I see a lot of reasons to believe that David Stern tries to manipulate the outcome of a series for the financial gain of the NBA. One small example. Iverson is hurt going into the first round. As Iverson is one of the five most recognizable NBA players, a Boston sweep would be bad for the league. Ergo, the series starts on the last possible day and there four (!!) days off after game one. Iverson gets healthy, series goes the full five games. I won't even mention the officiating in the second half of game 3.