PDA

View Full Version : OOT MDs - Serious Medical Question

Gunny Highway
12-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Yesterday I got back results from a CT scan taken for something completely unrelated and there were "masses" found on my liver, the largest of which is 2-1/2cm in diameter.

I have no idea what this means and didn't really get much from the doctor, who seems very reluctant to speculate until further tests are done. I'm having bloodwork done tomorrow and something else Monday.

I've looked around online a little, but other than the obvious morbid response, what could these things be and what are the chances they are something harmless? Anyone?

Yes, I'll be actually talking to the doctor tomorrow about this before the smartasses all tell me to do that rather than asking 00T.

craig r
12-07-2005, 08:17 AM
The same thing just happened to my step-father (but on his tongue and throat).

But, I don't think you should try to get answers here about it. This is not me being a smartass, I just think you are better off waiting the few hours to talk to a Dr.

craig

beenben
12-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Google: liver mass differential diagnosis

Gunny Highway
12-07-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Google: liver mass differential diagnosis

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I had Googled it. The "differential" part narrows it down some. Sounds like it may either be nothing or something. Or even if it's nothing, it may be a nothing that's still a painful nothing. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

beenben
12-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Sounds like a non-specific problem not otherwise specified.

astroglide
12-07-2005, 12:45 PM
gl man. be glad it wasn't your pancreas.

12-07-2005, 03:13 PM
hey gunny

there are a couple of things that come to mind for me, the first in polycyctic liver disease, which is inherited but not always detected until adulthood-i believe it is typically benign- and therefore normal life activites and expectancy.
this can also affect your kidneys as well.

there is also fatty liver disease-in which fat accumulates in liver calls , but i do not believe masses will be seen with ct

i know everyone always jumps to cancer when they hear the word mass, just keep in mind that malignant liver cancer accounts for less than 1% of cancers in this country--if they are benign tumors--depending on the type, no therapy is generally done, certain types are more likely to bleed and so if big enough removal could be reccommended.

always get a second opinion...

ask questions, write them down as they come because it is easy to forget when at the doctors'-ask for a written copy of lab values- it is easy to look that stuff up online so it makes sense.

again ALWAYS get a second opinion.

i will be thinking of you...good luck