PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this right?

07-12-2003, 04:56 PM
WCOOP satellite round 2, blinds are 100/200. I have a stack of 2300 witch is just below average.

I`m BB with AKo. UTG raises to 800 ( he has about 4300) and UTG +1 calls ( he has about 2500).

All fold to me, and I raise all in. UTG thinks for a long time and goes all inn. UTG +1 folds, and UTG shows AJo.

Naturally a J hit on the turn and i`m out.

Could i have played this differently?

Gotmilk
07-12-2003, 05:58 PM
i think your reraise all-in worked out pretty well. the caller probably had you beat (medium pair) but couldnt stand an all-in AND a call. you got yourself heads up as a 3-1 favorite. not much more you can ask for. it was a tough break. i think just calling (you need a much bigger stack for that I think) is too much of your stack, and the pot is too big to try to not win right away. I suppose after a big raise and a call a fold is OK too (you will tend to be behind the caller i think, if he's a reasonable player), but what happened was good, you were below average in chips with a good hand all in vs a dominated hand and a chance to get a real nice stack, you just got unlucky.

DoctorJ
07-13-2003, 01:52 AM
Don't mean to sound insensitive, but would you want to have played it differently? I mean, you got your money in as a 3-to-1 favorite, which is pretty much as good as it gets aside from overpair-underpair. The result sucked, but if you can continually get yourself into that situation, you're gonna be pretty happy with your long-term results.

I guess the only question is whether you wanted to run a 50-50 race if one them of has a pocket pair and will call you with it.

Hope it works out better next time...

Cheers...

DoctorJ

Rickfish
07-13-2003, 08:30 AM
It would have been more interesting to pose the question without the result. The replies so far say you were unlucky but what would they have said if you were called by a big pair and you lost? Some tight players would not raise UTG without AA, KK, QQ, or AK which would not give you much chance.

I'd really want to know what type of players were involved. If they are tight I may want to fold. Obviously in this case UTG was very loose - did you know that? If you did, then you made a good play but I would still be a bit worried about the caller. I agree with the reply that said that the caller was likely to have a medium pair but it is also possible that a tricky player could have a big pair.

You don't get AK very often and you have to play it aggressively but I would not deliberately take on QQ, JJ, etc with it. In this case UTG played terribly and got away with it.

Squirrel
07-13-2003, 09:24 AM
If he will call all-in with AJ or AQ you played it perfectly.

If he won't, which is more often the case (although you never know on the internet), I think you played too aggressively.

Against a tight UTG raiser, who won't call my reraise without a hand, I probably muck here, and wait for a better opportunity. I don't like AKo againt a tight UTG raise.

This obviously wasn't the case however, so well played!