PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: Investing portion of my poker bankroll

westside_eh
12-07-2005, 05:18 AM
Little info: I'm an 18 year old who will be attending university next september. I dont have many expenses: no cell phone, no car, and I live with my parents. Pretty much just alcohol and food lol. I have two other jobs, but poker is the most lucrative.

Obviously I never have my entire bankroll at the table at one time. That got me thinking about investing a portion of my bankroll which normally idles. What sorts of options do I have where I can quickly (within a day or so) get money out of my investment and back into the poker site if I start to run bad?

My Bankroll is at $1800, I think $800 or so could be invested elsewhere.

Given all my funds are pretty disposable, I would want a more risky then normal investement.

Thoughts?

Thanx in advance.

Dazarath
12-07-2005, 06:10 AM
The only thing I can think of that has some sort of return, and you can pull the money out that quickly, is probably one of those high interest savings accounts. Some people have reportedly been able to set up ING Direct accounts with Party's IGM-Pay.

r3vbr
12-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Your bankroll is very small.

Play poker at higher stakes (you can play NL100 and maybe some shots at NL200 with that roll) and keep climbing tables until you have like at least 25k, so then you can cashout 10k and invest.

Investing any sum less than 10k is not good. They charge $ for every transaction you make, and also there are yearly charges.

Bosox
12-08-2005, 08:15 PM
second.

westside_eh
12-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Alright thanks for the replies.

Maybe the 3% interest is a good option then, given it's better then nothing and fairly easy to access.

Sniper
12-10-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I never have my entire bankroll at the table at one time. That got me thinking about investing a portion of my bankroll which normally idles. What sorts of options do I have where I can quickly (within a day or so) get money out of my investment and back into the poker site if I start to run bad?

My Bankroll is at $1800, I think $800 or so could be invested elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

AT $1800, you should be investing your poker bankroll in bonus whoring to build it up faster!!!

12-10-2005, 11:11 PM
The transaction costs have been exaggerated a bit. There are brokers that charge a penny a share or less in commission and no annual fee. That said, I can't think of any easy investments for $800. You can trade in and out of 100 shares at a time for $20 here and $50 there, but you have to know what you're doing.