PDA

View Full Version : Bluff that worked, but should I of made it?

trumpman84
12-07-2005, 05:14 AM
I'm just trying to pick up a few plays that vary from my normal ABC poker...what do you think of this one...spewing?

No specific reads on villain, but the table has been pretty loose, but not particularly aggressive or passive but more towards the aggressive side.

.50/1.00

UTG limps, I raise from MP to $4 with 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif. SB (Villain) calls. UTG calls.

Flop is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Pot is $12
SB leads for $3. UTG calls. Getting 6-1 with the possibility of my hand still being good, I decide to peel one and see what develops on the turn.

Pot is $20 after rake.

Turn is a K /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
SB checks, UTG checks. I feel UTG is weak and I think SB just has a jack, so I decide to represent AK and bet $12. SB is stubborn and won't go away..he calls, and UTG folds.

Heads up to the river, pot is $43. River pairs the board, a 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

SB leads for $10. I read this bet as a blocking bet and I want to raise it, but my head keeps telling me not to bluff bad players. I really think he has just a jack, probably AJ, so I can't just call. I feel the pot is big enough to justify a bluff, so I raise to $40 and put him to the test. He has $60 left after the river bet and I have $20 left after raising.

Good bluff or chip spewage in the long run?

scdavis0
12-07-2005, 05:23 AM
I'd rather bluff the turn in your spot when the scare card hits.. you have basically a zero out hand and this is your best spot to pick up the pot

you could even be winning against a diamond draw

trumpman84
12-07-2005, 05:33 AM
I did bluff the turn. It was checked to me and I bet $12. The river raise was really a continuation of my turn bluff.

Moozh
12-07-2005, 05:39 AM
Gah, it's should I have made it? This 'should of' seems to be showing up more and more.

Ok, nit patrol is done...

As for the play, the pot at the time was $54. You're risking $40 to win it. You have to get a fold near 40% of the time to make it worth it (42.5%).

The villian's river bet is atrocious and is just asking for you to raise him. He deserved what he got. Still, is this the type of guy who will fold? After your bet, he's getting around 3:1 to call.

You describe him as 'loose', but I understand it's a weak read. It really boils down to whether or not you think he'll fold his 3:1 more than 40% of the time. He certainly played the river scared, but does that mean a fold? Hard to say.

In the end, I think I like it. The king is a great card for you and the 6 pairing on the river probably didn't hurt either.

scdavis0
12-07-2005, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did bluff the turn. It was checked to me and I bet $12. The river raise was really a continuation of my turn bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right.. I like the whole hand