PDA

View Full Version : An Experiment I Conducted Last Night

mother_brain
12-07-2005, 04:29 AM
I was wondering about the fire safety of cigarettes. I took a piece of printer paper set it on my dest and set a lit cigarette directly on top of it. I let it burn for about 5 minutes and it did very little to the paper. It certainly did not come close to starting a fire.

I found this pretty wild considering that a cigarette was meant to burn yet technology allows it to not start fires very well. It is interesting to notice how it burns in just such a way that it consumes itself without causing much heat around it.

Feel free to comment. Also feel free to conduct your own experiment and share the results.

ChipWrecked
12-07-2005, 04:32 AM
I recommend smoking in bed.

craig r
12-07-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering about the fire safety of cigarettes. I took a piece of printer paper set it on my dest and set a lit cigarette directly on top of it. I let it burn for about 5 minutes and it did very little to the paper. It certainly did not come close to starting a fire.

I found this pretty wild considering that a cigarette was meant to burn yet technology allows it to not start fires very well. It is interesting to notice how it burns in just such a way that it consumes itself without causing much heat around it.

Feel free to comment. Also feel free to conduct your own experiment and share the results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was thinking about doing an experiment like this, but I decided to watch Beavis and Butthead instead.

craig

mason55
12-07-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a hole in my sheets from falling asleep while smoking a cigarette /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

mother_brain
12-07-2005, 04:49 AM
And yet you did not burn in your sleep. Isn't it incredible!

Jeebus
12-07-2005, 04:52 AM
I once lit a bottle rocket with a blunt while on mushrooms because I didn't think it would happen. It was pointing at my friend cuz I wanted to scare him. Things can start burning from a cherry.

On a side note one guy thought the bottle rocket went in his ear, another guy flipped his chair upside down and remained sitting in it, and I thought I burned off all facial hair holding onto the thing so it didn't go all over my house.

WackityWhiz
12-07-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I once lit a bottle rocket with a blunt while on mushrooms because I didn't think it would happen. It was pointing at my friend cuz I wanted to scare him. Things can start burning from a cherry.

On a side note one guy thought the bottle rocket went in his ear, another guy flipped his chair upside down and remained sitting in it, and I thought I burned off all facial hair holding onto the thing so it didn't go all over my house.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish this was videotaped... damn that sounds hilarious!

12-07-2005, 04:58 AM
There's a little leprechaun that lives inside my head. He tells me to burn things.

edfurlong
12-07-2005, 05:00 AM
I remember tossing a cigarette in a frisbee filled with gas when I was fourteen or so. Much to my disappointment it went out.

Screw you Hollywood! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

mother_brain
12-07-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I remember tossing a cigarette in a frisbee filled with gas when I was fourteen or so. Much to my disappointment it went out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shell Station /images/graemlins/mad.gif

12-07-2005, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And yet you did not burn in your sleep. Isn't it incredible!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been to two funerals for people who died from fires starting by cigarettes after they fell asleep. This was years ago when many fabrics and upholstery(sp) were much more flammable.

Brom
12-07-2005, 05:18 AM
Insufficient sample size.

Benholio
12-07-2005, 05:20 AM
A flat sheet of paper isn't the easiest thing to set on fire, unless you go for the edges. Try setting your cig on a paper towel or a light fabric of some sort.

westside_eh
12-07-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shell Station /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ORANGE MOCHA FRAPPUCHINO!!!

http://www.via-vision.de/filme/z/zoolander/zoolander-5-g.jpg

mother_brain
12-07-2005, 05:58 AM
This is absolutely correct.
I will conduct these further experiments shortly. The beer will not be a factor

daryn
12-07-2005, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Screw you Hollywood! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to ignite the vapor, that's why it needs to be spread out thin, not in a puddle or pool

mother_brain
12-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Paper Towel and Toilet Paper fail to ignite. This is fascinating. I set the cigarette squarely in the center of a sheet of each. They leave a brown mark but no flames. I didn't waste an entire cig on each, so if somebody cares to dispute these claims--let them speak now.

daryn
12-07-2005, 06:22 AM
try it on an old couch

tonypaladino
12-07-2005, 06:37 AM
they are not catching fire because you are using flat sheets. Crumble up some paper towels and toss a cig into the middle of the pile, then report back.

craig r
12-07-2005, 06:43 AM
Wow, this is a pretty humorous thread. Mainly because I think he is really doing these things.

craig

WackityWhiz
12-07-2005, 06:44 AM
hey craig... 2998 posts

you got something in mind /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12-07-2005, 06:48 AM
I took a class on serial murder this semester, and we did a unit on arson. I learned there that apparently cigarettes are useful as a timer controlled fire starting device. We also watched a video of a cigarette that fell into a chair, and timed how long it took before it burned the house down. Less than 5 minutes.

Useless information, I just like sharing.

mike l.
12-07-2005, 07:13 AM
"Also feel free to conduct your own experiment and share the results."

i put a lit cig on our couch before i went to bed and it caught fire and burned our whole house down with my family inside. im writing this on a laptop from a nearby starbucks, just wanted to pass on the results, hope they help.

WackityWhiz
12-07-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Also feel free to conduct your own experiment and share the results."

i put a lit cig on our couch before i went to bed and it caught fire and burned our whole house down with my family inside. im writing this on a laptop from a nearby starbucks, just wanted to pass on the results, hope they help.

[/ QUOTE ]

regular or menthol? this is key

mmcd
12-07-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try it on an old couch

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to burn old couches in the street for fun back in college, and it always took newspaper or a flammable liquid to get them going. I doubt a lit cigarrette would start them burning if drunkenly holding a lighter to them won't.

12-07-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
try it on an old couch

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to burn old couches in the street for fun back in college, and it always took newspaper or a flammable liquid to get them going. I doubt a lit cigarrette would start them burning if drunkenly holding a lighter to them won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess WVU Alum?

xadrez
12-07-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I once lit a bottle rocket with a blunt while on mushrooms because I didn't think it would happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing except thing on mushrooms except with a roman candle. Somehow I lit the wrong end and it started shooting the flairs into my chest. I screamed like a little girl.

imported_The Vibesman
12-07-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
try it on an old couch

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No lie, my grandfather died when he got tanked and fell asleep on the couch with a lit cigarette. So they will start burning sometimes.

mmcd
12-07-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
try it on an old couch

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No lie, my grandfather died when he got tanked and fell asleep on the couch with a lit cigarette. So they will start burning sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it happens, but I think it's more a freak occurance than the rule.

craig r
12-07-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
try it on an old couch

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it happens, but I think it's more a freak occurance than the rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we haven't heard from the OP rocket scientist yet.

craig

Gunny Highway
12-07-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Do this, and make sure you get drunk and spill booze everywhere first.

citanul
12-07-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a hole in my sheets from falling asleep while smoking a cigarette /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

buy new sheets.

DcifrThs
12-07-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I took a class on serial murder this semester, and we did a unit on arson. I learned there that apparently cigarettes are useful as a timer controlled fire starting device. We also watched a video of a cigarette that fell into a chair, and timed how long it took before it burned the house down. Less than 5 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

please expand upon how a cigarette falling into a chair burns a house down.

Barron

craig r
12-07-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please expand upon how a cigarette falling into a chair burns a house down.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess is that the chair sets on fire, then other things in the house get set on fire, and then the house burns down (I am not being a smart ass).

craig

ripdog
12-07-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Place a $100 bill across the back of your hand, attempt to burn a hole in it with a lighter. Win the $100 if you succeed. Make sure to take good care of the burn to keep medical bills <$100.

jba
12-07-2005, 01:36 PM
try the paper on top of the cigarette

gmrankin
12-07-2005, 03:13 PM
I know that cigatetts will catch shut on fire. I have a coffee can on my back porch that i toss mine into when i am done and the other night as i was watching TV is started to see embers and smoke blowing off my deck... my smake can was smoldering... not sure if i would of ever seen flames, but it would of really made a mess, if i wouldn;t of threw my soda on it... good thing i saw it before it got bad!!