PDA

View Full Version : Poker Stars is tough

12-07-2005, 02:42 AM
Just played a few SNGs there (I'm a Party guy) and man oh man the bubble play there is just about perfect. Each bubble would last 30 minutes it seems.

chisness
12-07-2005, 02:52 AM
turbos or regulars? i haven't played there for a while but all my friends do and when i watch them it seems like it's a lot worse than on party.

12-07-2005, 02:54 AM
Pokerstars gives you more chips, and blinds go up soooo slow... so yes the bubble does last about 30 minutes.

Unoriginalname
12-07-2005, 02:55 AM
Sample size...

I've played a bunch of $27s at poker stars and my experience is that there are plenty of donks to go around.

bluef0x
12-07-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just played a few SNGs there (I'm a Party guy) and man oh man the bubble play there is just about perfect. Each bubble would last 30 minutes it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? You said you played just a few... how can you already gauge the competition?

12-07-2005, 02:56 AM
Regulars. I'm usually chip leader . . . and then the bubble comes and I play as perfect as I know how (ICM, not calling coin flips, etc). But so do they. By then the donkeys who gave me their chips are gone and 3 solid opponents face me.

mlagoo
12-07-2005, 02:56 AM
a lot of people go there to tweak their game. you should too.

(i'm sorry. in my mind, this never gets old.)

gumpzilla
12-07-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Regulars. I'm usually chip leader . . . and then the bubble comes and I play as perfect as I know how (ICM, not calling coin flips, etc). But so do they. By then the donkeys who gave me their chips are gone and 3 solid opponents face me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bubble lasts for thirty minutes frequently in the regular games because the average stack is still frequently in the realm of 30 BBs here. There's plenty of play left, for the most part.

12-07-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? You said you played just a few... how can you already gauge the competition?

[/ QUOTE ]

True. There are some donks but they don't make it to the bubble. Anyways, this is good for my game, not my BR. Enjoying the competition so far.

TheNoodleMan
12-07-2005, 03:08 AM
The best thing about stars is the myth that the games are tougher.

Bluff Daddy
12-07-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The best thing about stars is the myth that the games are tougher.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, unless there is a secret sng forum somewhere devoted to stars that we dont know about /images/graemlins/confused.gif

12-07-2005, 04:14 AM
Good god - I just played a 9 handed $11 SNG on Stars: running time when I busted on the bubble: 1 hour 25 minutes. That's as long as the first half of the Titanic.

Davey
12-07-2005, 04:28 AM
The length of Stars tourneys is the only reason I dont want to play there. Has nothing to do with the players. I should just play the turbos though, that would make sense. Those probally play more like Party.

HesseJam
12-07-2005, 08:29 AM
The turbos play very differently, maybe depending on the time of the day or weekday/ weekend. Sometimes I am sitting with virginesque tighties and you are 7 handed at the bb400 level, sometimes the chips are flying from stage 1 to stage 4 and the bubble already burst at Level BB100.

Sometimes it takes from level BB200 to level 1200 to go from bubble to heads up, sometimes it takes just 2 hands.

Sometimes I fire up a set and sit with the same 3-4 players at almost all tables, sometimes I have different players at all tables.

Sometimes competition is atrocious, sometimes more than half of the players is at least as good as me.

bennies
12-07-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
man oh man the bubble play there is just about perfect. Each bubble would last 30 minutes it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both these statements are entirely wrong. It's my impression (after 1000+ at both sites) that the bubble lasts shorter at Stars.

Melchiades
12-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Yes the Pokerstars SnG's are pretty much unbeatable. I would advice everyone to stay at Party.

GtrHtr
12-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Play the turbo's.

pokerlaw
12-07-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good god - I just played a 9 handed $11 SNG on Stars: running time when I busted on the bubble: 1 hour 25 minutes. That's as long as the first half of the Titanic.

[/ QUOTE ]

they certainly are longer, i'll give you that. furthermore, I dont really like the payout (i.e., 9 people instead of 10) on the 1 tables.

try a few regular 2 or 3 table tourneys - they last about the same as the 1 tables and the bubble usually has players who are TOO tight.

Sam T.
12-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Since the buy-ins aren't comprable it's tough to make direct connections, but I would argue that the Stars $15 Turbos are far tougher than Party's $10. With four left on Stars, it's not uncommon that three will have at least some idea of what they're doing.

Playing non-Turbos is lousy for your hourly rate, but good for your overall game.