PDA

View Full Version : AT w/A-K-J flop . . .

EasilyFound
12-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Is it weak to check here? I'm out of position, against someone who can really hurt me. Or do I have to bet out to find out where I am at? Or do I need to make a sizable bet in case he is on a draw? This is a three-table tourney with 15 people left. Payout to top 5.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

BB (t830)
UTG (t1162)
Hero (t2085)
MP2 (t6224)
CO (t2348)
Button (t1995)
SB (t2024)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t275</font>, MP2 calls t275, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t700) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero ????? </font>

BTW: anyone know why the converter did not display my flop bet? I had to add it manually here.

pergesu
12-07-2005, 12:03 AM
I would not raise preflop. But you did, and that's a super [censored] board and you're in a bad position. I think you have to grit your teeth and follow up with a bet of 450 or so, but be quick to release.

Bluff Daddy
12-07-2005, 12:21 AM
I agree with perg I dont like the preflop raise but villain has an enormous stack and could be calling here w/ anything. I would fire out 400 or so on the flop, this is board is just as scary for him as it is for you

EasilyFound
12-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Hmmmm . . . funny how I was focused on how to play the flop, when my first mistake was playing in the first place. What is minimum here to open? Table is 7-handed, with one fold,so I thought opening with that hand was not a bad play, but I'm wrong. If I had bigger stack, or was chip leader at table, would playing as I did be okay? Or is it just a matter of it not be a quality opening hand in that spot, no matter what my chip count. Sometimes I play so stupid.

mlagoo
12-07-2005, 12:38 AM
hmm, i dont mind the pf raise. i can see that its marginal, but i dont know that its necessarily bad.

that being said, i would bet, like perg said, 450, except i would actually call/overpush a raise. there are two many pair+draw hands villian could have on this board for me to fold to a raise, and with that stack i think he's reraising PF with any two cards that would make two pair or better on this card (except for maybe QT).

pergesu
12-07-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i would actually call/overpush a raise

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you notice that it was a three-table tourney, paying top 5? Busting here would be pretty terrible given the blinds and hero's stack size I think.

EasilyFound
12-07-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and with that stack i think he's reraising PF with any two cards that would make two pair or better

[/ QUOTE ]

I was more afraid of AJ than AK. Wouldn't he be more likely to reraise w/AK than AJ? Is AJ really the kind of hand you'd rereaise with or is that true only because he is big stack?

mlagoo
12-07-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and with that stack i think he's reraising PF with any two cards that would make two pair or better

[/ QUOTE ]

I was more afraid of AJ than AK. Wouldn't he be more likely to reraise w/AK than AJ? Is AJ really the kind of hand you'd rereaise with or is that true only because he is big stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was saying it was true because he was the big stack. i dont think its standard to reraise PF with AJ (in fact, 2+2ers will often advocate just folding it to a single raise). but, barring any reads, i often make the generalization that big stacks play slightly more laggy.

and to respond to pergesu, i mean, i think maybe i'm missing the point. hero only has 20xBB... it isn't as though he is running his stack into "the one stack that can knock him out," or anything like that. i dunno, i might be missing something obvious here.

pergesu
12-07-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hero only has 20xBB

[/ QUOTE ]
In my mind, 20 BB = lots of time to let the other donk themselves out.

mlagoo
12-07-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hero only has 20xBB

[/ QUOTE ]
In my mind, 20 BB = lots of time to let the other donk themselves out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean, in a standard SNG, yeah, but looking at the stack sizes here, its not like hes cock of the wok or anything.

im not really sure, i havent played a lot of these 3TTs. im trying to sort of imagine its level 3 in a normal SNG and think about how i would play there. meh.