PDA

View Full Version : NLHE Poker: 201

12-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Having nothing else better to do today, I was thinking of ways I could vastly improve my game (it needs it, badly). To date, my most successful method of playing has been to nut peddle at the $25NL game and push whenever I have the nuts - or close thereto. It is absurd how many times people call with bottom pair, or with JTs preflop against my Aces. This clearly shows my inability to be a good player, and I could never be successful at the higher levels doing this.

Plus, this is no longer much fun to me. I want to become a better player and take this game a little more seriously.

I have tried reading a few books, but the advice seems to be either "Fold pre-flop unless you have AKo or better" (gee, thanks) or how poker is "a game of feel" and about "playing the player - not the cards".

Okay, that is an exaggeration on both ends of the spectrum, but I am trying to make the point that I think this forum is a source for great advice on how to become a better player - and I would like to collect this advice in a format that will help me, and hopefully others.

A good friend of mine who is ten times the player I am got me thinking the other day when he repeatedly asked me, "If you play that hand, what are you hoping to flop? First, what are the range of flops that you would stay in the hand, lead the pot, call a large bet, push. etc.? Second, if it takes a ridiculously lucky flop to make the hand playable, then why are you limping in the first place?"

I have always been good at school where you can read the concepts in a book, gain an overall understanding of the concepts, and then apply them in various fact scenarios. I am not talking about memorizing the rules - but truly understanding them so that you don't have to memorize. It just becomes something that is learned, is logical, easy to remember and apply because you truly understand the subject matter.

So, to end this relentless introduction, here is what I would ask your help with:

I would like everyone to list out various questions or thoughts that go through your mind every time you play a hand. What are the general rules that you play by? For purposes of this collection, I would like to emphasize 6-max short-handed play on-line.

NOTE: I know that there are exceptions to EVERY RULE, but I am talking rules in general here. Your reads on other players, the flow of the game, other players' impression of your style, etc. all impact any decision that you make, but I just want general guidelines.

Here are some examples, some of which I might agree with, and others that I do not. But that is not the point, I just want the basic rules that you follow in general.

GENERAL

1) You need at least 10X the buy-in as an adequate bankroll for the game you are playing.
2) Pokertracker is a must for any serious on-line poker player.

PRE-FLOP (assuming no reads on anyone at the table):

1) If folded to you on the button, raise to 4X the BB with any two cards. If called but checked to you after the flop, make a continuation bet of 3/4 the pot.
2) Never slow-play pockets Aces, from any position.
3) Never fold pocket Kings.
4) The only time you push pre-flop is if ___________.
5) With what hands or in what situations do I defend my blind?

POSTFLOP (assuming no reads on anyone at the table):

1) Only slow play if you flop Quads, an over-boat or a straight flush (i.e., bet at least the pot with the nut flush or top set).
2) Never make a bet solely to "see where you are" in the hand.
3) Never call a bet without thinking about what the bettor has (if a made hand, what are the possibilities; if not a made hand, is it a draw to a flush or a straight?).
4) Give examples of when you would check-raise, check-call.
5) Give examples of when you would lead at the pot on a bluff. How much would you bet?
6) How about a bluff raise to someone betting into you?
7) What signs do you look for when trying to determine if someone is bluffing (e.g., a missed draw on the river)?
8) Give examples of when you push.
9) If a hand is good enough to call with, then it is good enough to raise with.

PLAYING STYLE WHEN FACING A MANIAC:

PLAYING STYLE WHEN FACING A LAG:

PLAYING STYLE WHEN FACING A TAG:

I have seen all sorts of topics like the above discussed in various posts in this forum with various specific hands, but nothing to really put it all together in a general format. This is also a collection that will never be completed. However, I would like to try to put something together, if anyone else is game.

I realize that this is WAY TOO LIMITED, and that any "rule" clearly has exceptions. But I thought I might take a shot at a few of you wanting to post some of your "gems" here. My hope is that I will take the general comments and start more specific threads for limited situations (e.g., pre-flop with Aces, flopping the nuts - when to let someone catch up in the hand, etc.).

Anyway - fingers are crossed here for a little help.

KC