PDA

View Full Version : PP $5+1: Embarassing bubble fold

mpfree
12-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Ok, looking back I think I should have made a standard raise and let go if I faced resistance - is that the correct approach?

Does anyone push here because it becomes difficult to play this w. overcards on the board?

Button is tight, BB is relatively loose and called a couple of large all-ins w. marginal hands (and sucked out)

Thanks

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Hero (t2805)
Button (t1607)
SB (t1474)
BB (t2114)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666"> Hero folds, 1 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

splashpot
12-06-2005, 11:25 PM
It's not as terrible as you think. I sometimes fold this acutally. Depends on my table.

Freudian
12-06-2005, 11:48 PM
I don't think this fold is that bad. I'd probably raise 3xBB against most opponents but since I will fold to a push or big reraise I don't know if it is a clearly superior option.

It depends on your opponents. If they are tight it is a pretty bad fold.

microbet
12-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Depends on the table. If you are willing to fold to a reraise, I think you should minraise. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

mpfree
12-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the responses. I started doubting the fold because the folks here say to get fairly aggressive on the bubble.

I guess if I short stacked, it would have been an easy push. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't playing to conservative with a chip lead.

pokerraja
12-06-2005, 11:56 PM
This is clearly a mistake in my opinion. It's not an earth shattering mistake. But in this spot, you must make a standard raise and take those blinds. I'm also not so sure if im folding to a push of one of the shorter stacks. I would have to take the player into consideration.

12-07-2005, 02:33 AM
Why is this not a push? Or why is pushing not as good as raising or folding?

Freudian
12-07-2005, 02:39 AM
Hero has almost 20xBB. Pushing is overdoing it.

tigerite
12-07-2005, 07:23 AM
The effective BB is only 14 though. Pushing isn't that bad. I wouldn't do it personally, unless BB was particularly tricky (i.e. I felt he would come over the top of any raise I made). And of course sometimes I'd fold if he's really loose anyway.

jeffraider
12-07-2005, 07:34 AM
I'd make it 400 here all the time, but I doubt folding is a massive mistake. Just a little boo boo that you don't even notice. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tigerite
12-07-2005, 07:38 AM
I make it 375, but meh /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12-07-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses. I started doubting the fold because the folks here say to get fairly aggressive on the bubble.

I guess if I short stacked, it would have been an easy push. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't playing to conservative with a chip lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

$5+1 is very different from $200+15. At $5+1, there are lots of players who barely think about the payout structure, and a few who don't think about their cards /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

People suggest playing aggressively on the bubble because they expect people to fold a ton on the bubble. If people at your table aren't doing that, you should adjust accordingly.

A good thing to remember is that if everyone were playing perfect cash game poker (i.e. they completely ignore the payout structure and just play like this is a 4-handed cash game with really big blinds), you should play much tighter because the payout structure makes the chips in your stack worth MUCH more than those in the pot. Playing the bubble as a super-TAG pushbot (pushing with tons of hands when folded to you and folding tons of hands to raises) is a response to the fact that other people in the tournament are tightening up, as they should. When your opponents don't tighten up, you should.