PDA

View Full Version : KQs in late position - Please comment on all streets

12-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Hi All, here's another fun hand. Please comment on all streets.

Mid game in MTT, Villian has shown that he is capable of limping with all kinds of hands from monsters to connectors, and Ace Rag. No real betting pattern. My image at the table has been tight, hands shown down: AA, AA, JJ, QQ, AK

Preflop:
Was the limp bad? Should I have folded or raised instead?

Flop:
Should I have raised, called, folded?

River:
Do I make a crying call here or fold?

Thanks again for all of your thoughtful replies!

T

$11 MTT

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

MP2 (t3910)
MP3 (t1455)
Hero (t3080)
Button (t1783)
SB (t980)
BB (t4740)
UTG (t2875)
UTG+1 (t2755)
MP1 (t3664)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t400) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls t300.

Turn: (t1400) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t300</font>, Hero calls t300.

River: (t2000) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t900</font>, Hero ...

12-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Bump - Any thoughts?

12-07-2005, 09:27 AM
preflop - don't mind limping, can argue for raising (i probably limp more than i should). Can't see folding this hand in CO.
flop - not bad the way you played it
turn - hate the J, so many players limp KJ and the board now has 3 diamonds, I proceed with caution and call
river - call, so many times you'll see a weak K, pocket pair (that limped preflop) such as Q's or T's. most likely MP2 is either WA and hoped you would come over the top on the turn also or WB and wants you to believe he already has his hand or that the 5 helped him (i.e. A5 or such,that scenario only likely for a complete DONK)

all in all you played this similar to the way i would have played it.

Exitonly
12-07-2005, 09:29 AM
i be tmore on the flop, and probably call small turn bets.

but i'd consider raising the turn with the intention of checking behind on the river.

12-07-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

but i'd consider raising the turn with the intention of checking behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never even considered that line. Thanks.

Sam T.
12-07-2005, 09:51 AM
I'd raise the flop more. With your raise, he only has to call t300 into a pot worth t1100, giving him decent odds with any number of draws. t750 or 800 is better.

That, of course, makes Exit's line harder to play simply because you are creating a big pot earlier in the hand. Tough hand against this kind of opponent. River looks like a value bet - unless you've seen him stay aggressive with trash, I fear you can dump this.

12-07-2005, 10:09 AM
pf - raise 3-5XBB.

flop - hmmm - 600 in the pot &amp; you bet 500 more. MP2 is getting correct odds to call a flush draw here. Bet more.

turn - push or fold. Calling is weak as you don't have much to draw to. I think fold.

riv - clear fold.

ansky451
12-07-2005, 10:27 AM
I would raise PF.

On the flop, I'm either calling, or raising it bigger if I'm raising at all. I think in this spot I'd raise full pot. Given the stack sizes, that makes this hand much, much easier.

The way you played it, I would call down on the turn and river.

12-07-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute, why would we make that play? If we raise the turn, we get in huge trouble if he has the flush and fold out some hands that we have wrecked and that would've kept giving us money. The only positive is that we charge some flush draws, but factor in the fact that many of these are betting the river UI, and I think this is an easy call/call.

12-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all of the different views on this. I ended up folding to the bet on the river because I thought it was a value bet. I think I should have raised more on the flop, and also bet out preflop.

Thanks!
PN

12-07-2005, 11:55 AM
I would have limped pre-flop with the intention of raising any K or Q if there's no Ace or betting if checked to me.

If you raise pre-flop, you have to raise to 400. If Blinds and Vilain fold, you get +300 (maybe 50% of the time), if one of the blinds or Vilain call, the pot will be almost 1000. You will have to do a CB of 400 or 500 with KQ, which I don't really like.

I'm not sure Raising is better... Someone has a good raison for raising.

I know in this situation, the flop would have been perfect, but in genereal...

12-07-2005, 11:57 AM
I'd raise pre-flop. It's a strong hand and while it's good in a multi-way pot I want to find out where I stand so I'd be betting 300-400. On the flop, I'd make a larger re-raise (800 or so) to make chasing the str8 and flush draws unprofitable. If this is called, you know you're not dealing with tptk and I'd be worried about trips or the fact that he was playing 3/4 or 7/8 diamonds.
I would probably not then call any more bets but if he checked the turn to me (unlikley if he's on the flush) I might be tempted to push the river in a cash game but not a tournie.

DDBeast
12-07-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute, why would we make that play? If we raise the turn, we get in huge trouble if he has the flush and fold out some hands that we have wrecked and that would've kept giving us money. The only positive is that we charge some flush draws, but factor in the fact that many of these are betting the river UI, and I think this is an easy call/call.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he comes over the top it's an easy fold. This way you can make a small raise on the turn, charging him if he's still on a draw, instead of paying another 900 on the river. If he bets the river after your turn raise it's an easy fold.

12-07-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If he comes over the top it's an easy fold. This way you can make a small raise on the turn, charging him if he's still on a draw, instead of paying another 900 on the river. If he bets the river after your turn raise it's an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, I'm dumb. We're betting a non-diamond river if checked to, right?

John W
12-07-2005, 01:50 PM
I would of played it the exact same way, and I would of called on the river and lost another 900 just like you did.