PDA

View Full Version : Question of the day: Flop Percentage

mdw442
07-12-2003, 09:20 AM
I've heard from many of you about managing my flop percentage (% of time you see the flop) and trying to keep it below 28%. The general concensus appeared to be the lower the better.

While those suggestions helped me get out of my slump last week, in reviewing my notes, and with my experiences yesterday and so far today (doubled my stake yesterday, up again this morning), I seem to win the most cash with a flop percentage in the 35-40% range. If I play tighter than that, I seem to fold on too many hands that would have won. I don't loose money, but I don't win much either.

I am not playing really loose (trying to stay in Sklansky's groups 1-3 when not in the blinds).

How much weight should I actually be giving to flop percentage, and what is the best way to utilize this statistic in coaching my play?

... also, if someone can direct me to the link for the hand tracking software, I'd appreciate it....

Thanks again.

bernie
07-12-2003, 09:36 AM
until you have alot of hours, meaning at least a couple/few hundred, i wouldnt even really look at flop %. it seems many here are overconcerned with their 'stats' that they think of actually playing too tight just for the stats sake. you could just be in a nice run being dealt nice cards.

it can turn around and your dealt crap. the other night i dragged 2 pots in 90 hands. hardly seeing a flop. probably around 10%. does this mean i should play more hands?

it's just not a big enough sample size.

b

Roy Munson
07-12-2003, 12:49 PM
Bernie is on target on this one. Many players seem overly concerned with their own stats and do not adequately observe opponents and adapt to the unique texture of the game in which they are playing.

Each distinct game type and opponent necessitates modifications of hand selection.

I have played sessions in loose aggressive games where I have won 1 or 2 pots in 100 hands yet have made a profit. I have also posted losses in more passive games while winning over 10% of the hands.

Beginners usually play too many hands and should look for "opportunities" to fold. Reviewing hand histories can help in this task.

As a player gains knowledge and experience they should not be overly concerned with flop percentages, especially short term.

mdw442
07-12-2003, 03:05 PM
No sooner did I read this reply than I started getting crap hands again. Lost $25 in 10 minutes playing a .5/1 table. Even had AA beat (that I bet real heavy pre and post-flop) by a pocket pair of deuces and a 24Q flop.

Thanks for reminding me that streaks are streaks and consistant play is what counts.

Ray Zee
07-12-2003, 04:23 PM
if you are seeing 40% of the flops you are so loose you are classified as a fish. sorry. i get the feeling its action you want and action you will get playing that way. if you want to win money at poker, you play a boring game. thats just how it is.
if you like the heat of battle and want to play a third of the hands, you will have more fun in the game. you just will end up broke and out of action, unless you have a big income and poker is a pastime.

mdw442
07-12-2003, 07:15 PM
I enjoy the game, but my sole reason for learning the game is to win money. The action can be fun, but if I want action, I'll jump in my speedboat or motorcycle. I don't have a problem clicking the FOLD button for hours on end if the right cards don't come up.

The other reply hit it on the nose - I was on a streak. Yes I was playing 40%, but I was getting good deals. This morning, the streak continued and I won again. This afternoon, things went sour. My flops percentage was down to 8% as I was only playing the blinds, and check/folding most of those. I just didn't get any good cards.

He made another point about cumulative flop percentage. I have not been keeping track of that, only per game flop percentage. With that in mind, yes, it would make sense that if I was being dealt winning cards, I would play more hands, and therefore see a bigger percentage than if I wasn't.

Running some of my history through a calculator, my overall percentage, both winning and loosing, is around 28%, but that is still a short term calculation. I'll try and incorporate a longer term cumulative total in my records.

Someone mentioned a software program to track hands and stats, but didn't provide a link. I am still interested in finding it if the program is available somewhere.

Thanks again

Jim Easton
07-12-2003, 09:51 PM
also, if someone can direct me to the link for the hand tracking software, I'd appreciate it....

www.pokertracker.com. (http://www.pokertracker.com.) There was a thread on it in the Books/Software forum a couple of days ago - "Poker Analyser Software" started by Mano.