PDA

View Full Version : brrr its cold outside

Ray Zee
12-06-2005, 08:47 PM
20 below tonight at my house and high of only maybe 5 or so tommorrow.
winter has really come to montana. the rest of the country has some cold as well.

the ice is now solid so my ice skates are at the door ready to skate at the pond or in town. maybe too much snow on the ground for me to want to shovel off the pond so i guess i will go into town and skate at the park. i like it to be up at least zero degrees though or my toes may get a little cold.

BCPVP
12-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Can't beat -20, but it's 2 here in Whitewater (near Madison).

JihadOnTheRiver
12-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Greetings from San Diego. It was freezing here all day too. I think it only managed to get up to, like, 65 or so. Must be Global Cooling.

McGahee
12-06-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Greetings from San Diego. It was freezing here all day too. I think it only managed to get up to, like, 65 or so. Must be Global Cooling.

[/ QUOTE ]

kill yourself.

mslif
12-06-2005, 08:55 PM
8 right now in CO. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

BCPVP
12-06-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do long shirts and pants even exist in California?

JihadOnTheRiver
12-06-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Do long shirts and pants even exist in California?

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by my recent trip to the grocery store, no. But belly button rings and skirts do....wierd...

CheckRaise
12-06-2005, 08:57 PM
It's -2 here in Duluth, which is considered a cold place to live even by Minnesota standards.

tdarko
12-06-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the ice is now solid so my ice skates are at the door ready to skate at the pond or in town

[/ QUOTE ]
this actually sounds like fun for some reason to me. it's supposed to snow here in dallas tomorrow night and everyone is so jazzed about it but man you get to do movie type stuff.

Los Feliz Slim
12-06-2005, 08:59 PM
It's getting down into the 40's in LA at night. When I go outside in the AM I need to wear a sweatshirt, it's absolutely nuts. Brrrrrrrr!

wayabvpar
12-06-2005, 09:02 PM
Twenty degrees and the hockey game's on
Nobody cares they are way too far gone
Screamin' "boat drinks", something to keep 'em all warm

MrTrik
12-06-2005, 09:02 PM
It's about 5 above here now in MN and I wonder why I live here. But the only other place I'd like to move to and will move to someday is Montana so I better adjust my attitude a bit. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

etizzle
12-06-2005, 09:03 PM
fuc k you, San Diego.

bicyclekick
12-06-2005, 09:04 PM
brr it's freaking cold in here my freaking hands are numb.

felson
12-06-2005, 09:05 PM
You stay classy, Kendall Square.

UCF THAYER
12-06-2005, 09:07 PM
I wore a tank top and shorts to class today, though i have noticed it has gotten cooler outside.

vexvelour
12-06-2005, 09:14 PM
It got down to 58 after the sun went down here in Orlando, FL. That is freaking cold for me. Damn toes won't warm up.

12-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Currently 20 degrees here in Rochester, New York. Meh, used to it over the years. Last winter wasnt that bad, actually.

Its funny how people up here see 60 degree days as "perfect" weather, and people down south are freezing to death. Hmmmmmm.

vexvelour
12-06-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its funny how people up here see 60 degree days as "perfect" weather, and people down south are freezing to death. Hmmmmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I'm doomed to live in FL for the rest of my life.

BCPVP
12-06-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
60's is perfect. And I usually wear shorts till the snow starts to accumulate.

tonypaladino
12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
It is 33 with a windchill of 23 here. I have the thermostat up to 78 now in my room because my body is so [censored] cold from being outside with just an open collared shirt and a suit jacket all day.

Blarg
12-06-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fuc k you, San Diego.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm reminded of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog's weather broadcast when he visited Hawaii.

Oh no, Hawaii is threatened by three days of ... SHADE!

SCREW YOU, HAWAII!

NLSoldier
12-06-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did it really hit 65 today? i thought it was pretty chilly out. maybe 60.

mason55
12-06-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Currently 20 degrees here in Rochester, New York. Meh, used to it over the years. Last winter wasnt that bad, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moved to DC after 3 years at RIT. We got a light dusting of snow yesterday, it wasn't even sticking. My boss comes over to my desk around 3 and tells me that if I'm worried about the snow I can leave early. I looked at him and asked if he was serious and laughed.

Sooo ridiculous here compared to western ny. People think 30 degrees is absolutely frigid.

Blarg
12-06-2005, 10:19 PM
That's how it is here in Southern California with rain. A drizzle comes up and people start slamming on their brakes so they can suddenly drop their speed by 30 miles an hour -- AS A SAFETY MEASURE. They start doing all kinds of crazy things that make the roads much more dangerous, like they've never driven in rain or even seen it before. All the ACTION NEWS reporters get in their helicopters and start screaming into their mikes; when they're on the ground they use umbrellas as props even when there's no rain going on at the moment, and promise instant live coverage of the terrifying sprinkle. You'd think it was time to build an Ark and the final judgment was coming down.

The sense of panic is bizarre for someone used to even a little rain.

12-06-2005, 10:24 PM
I love cold weather, I miss connecticut.

Last night, with the temperature at freezing, I drive from Austin to Houston from midnight-3:00. I find out on the trip that my heater is broken. I could see my breath the entire way.

I do love cold weather, but I swear I need to buy more cold weather clothes.

ThaSaltCracka
12-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Oh man, I remember those days, and I am glad I don't live in Montana any more. Nose hairs freezing and watching spit freeze in 5 seconds was always waaaaaaay too lame for me. Miss the snow and the mountains though. Nothing quite like seeing fresh snow on the rockies on a clear night. Maybe if you were lucky you got to see the Northern Lights. Have fun skating Ray.

Matt Flynn
12-06-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
20 below tonight at my house and high of only maybe 5 or so tommorrow.
winter has really come to montana. the rest of the country has some cold as well.

the ice is now solid so my ice skates are at the door ready to skate at the pond or in town. maybe too much snow on the ground for me to want to shovel off the pond so i guess i will go into town and skate at the park. i like it to be up at least zero degrees though or my toes may get a little cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

the rattlesnakes must be tightly balled tonight.

good skating.

Redd
12-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Cold snap + Edmonton, Alberta - sanity = ~ -28 w/ wind chill.

Maulik
12-06-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Moved to DC after 3 years at RIT. We got a light dusting of snow yesterday, it wasn't even sticking. My boss comes over to my desk around 3 and tells me that if I'm worried about the snow I can leave early. I looked at him and asked if he was serious and laughed.

Sooo ridiculous here compared to western ny. People think 30 degrees is absolutely frigid.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds about right....
I went to visit RIT on 1 April a few years ago and it was snowing... I'm like I don't think so RIT.

CCass
12-06-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Twenty degrees and the hockey game's on
Nobody cares they are way too far gone
Screamin' "boat drinks", something to keep 'em all warm

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to go where there ain't any snow,
can you beam me somewhere Mr. Scott?

JihadOnTheRiver
12-07-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did it really hit 65 today? i thought it was pretty chilly out. maybe 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I was on Coronado all day so it may have been different. WOW, 60?!? Did you have to wear pants?

smb394
12-07-2005, 12:28 AM
It's 25 right now in Philly. That's not so bad, expect for my heat went out today (broken gas pump we think) and isn't going to be fixed until tomorrow. It's 45 degrees inside the house.

mason55
12-07-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This sounds about right....
I went to visit RIT on 1 April a few years ago and it was snowing... I'm like I don't think so RIT.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few years ago we had an ice storm in the middle of May that was so bad it shut down the city for 2 days (and this is a city that's used to multiple feet of snow overnight).

wonderwes
12-07-2005, 12:39 AM
I have lived in Texas all my life, and only experienced snow fall probably less than 10 times in my life. Truthfully, I could not even consider living up north. It think when it reaches the freezing mark that is cold enough.

I know the summers here get hot with 100F days with 90% humidity, and yes it can get bad when you have over a month of straight heat wave, but hey, the A/C is one of the best ever man made inventions.

I just simply hate the freaking cold.

mmbt0ne
12-07-2005, 12:43 AM
It ain't no one to trust but me
And I got to make sure that I take care of my family
And it ain't no choices 'cause it's cold outside (It's cold outside)

And to my niggas on the block
On the grind and hustlin' tryin' to sell some rocks
You hear the voices say it's cold outside (It's cold outside)

I'm hiding out and smokin' herb
because my boss is getting on my [censored] nerves
But I got to take it 'cause it's cold outside (It's cold outside)

See rappin' is my only way
My mama told me just to save it for another day
But I got to make it cause it's cold outside (It's cold outside)

Blarg
12-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Believe it or not, people get used to it.

IggyWH
12-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Try setting concrete in these cold ass temperatures, it sucks major ass. Apparently, this power plant doesn't care much about it's warehouse since the min temps have flirted with freezing.

ChipWrecked
12-07-2005, 02:56 AM
It is cold enough in Northern California that no deer jumped in front of me during my bike ride to work along the river tonight.

I broke out the long pants.

12-07-2005, 04:19 AM
Las Vegas checking in at a brisk 38 degrees overnight. Afraid there won't be any skating going on here.

Don't forget to take your stick with you. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

whiskeytown
12-07-2005, 04:21 AM
I used to have to endure those Montana winters with just a wood stove for heat in a creaky 1910's house.

I'll tell ya what...if ANYTHING drove me out of Montana, it was that - when I move back someday the old place is going down and getting rebuilt a bit better...

with heat.

RB

Ray Zee
12-07-2005, 05:18 PM
i like the cold. it is real pretty outside with the sun and all.

but we had ice fog this morning. it was very thick. so when that happens i go down to the river in the morning. you see the fish jump and with the ice fog so cold they get frozen immediately in it. so i just take a sack and pick them right from the fog about waist high.

ThaSaltCracka
12-07-2005, 05:24 PM
wow Ray, I have never heard of that before, sounds like a trip.

Do you need a license to "catch" those fish?

swede123
12-07-2005, 05:28 PM
So it was supposed to be a high of five degrees today. My wife felt bad about leaving the dog outside so she locked him up in the house, but now she's worrying about him tearing it up. Would an 11 month old golden retriever be OK left outside in five degree weather for six hours? He would have access to a (ghetto) dog house.

Swede

swolfe
12-07-2005, 05:32 PM
it's freezing rain and snow in dallas. must be the end of the world.

Los Feliz Slim
12-07-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would an 11 month old golden retriever be OK left outside in five degree weather for six hours?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm voting No. That's pretty damn cold.

Blarg
12-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Yeah. Even furry animals die of exposure. Five degrees is very cold. Think of yourself barefoot with a thin coat out there for that long. And as a kid. Best case scenario is you'd be absolutely miserable. Worst case scenarios let's not talk about.

12-07-2005, 06:00 PM
In the mountains of VA and it is cold, but then I don't have heat. But it's still cold, my feet are tingling so much they are burning. I like Va and all but it is hot as hell here in the summer, over 100 for all of august and most of july, but then cold as nuts in the winter, but at least nuthin like -20, we'll get -5 in the morning for some of Feb maybe.

swede123
12-07-2005, 06:03 PM
The one thing I got out of this thread is that most people these days (including myself) are pussies when it comes to cold weather. A few weeks ago I was talking to a guy who used to drive cattle up in Montana. This guy worked outside, year around and we got into talking about the weather. The cowboy said that it usually isn't too bad as long as it doesn't get colder than ten or fifteen below. But, when it drops down to sixty below it's pretty miserable to be in the saddle all day.

Swede

wonderwes
12-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Its 28F currently at night (Austin, Tx), and might go into the low 20's. I just used some warn water and a dvd case to get the ice off my windshield. The ice has pretty much covered the city and closed everything down. I'll say it again, I live in Texas just to avoid this type of crappy weather. I don't see how you people go through 4+ months of this.

bwana devil
12-08-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its 28F currently at night (Austin, Tx), and might go into the low 20's. I just used some warn water and a dvd case to get the ice off my windshield. The ice has pretty much covered the city and closed everything down. I'll say it again, I live in Texas just to avoid this type of crappy weather. I don't see how you people go through 4+ months of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the best way to shatter your windshield...well besides w/ a rock.

let the heater warm it up.

SmileyEH
12-08-2005, 01:34 AM
I can't wait to take a picture of our thermometer at -40 in a month or so. FU all.

-SmileyEH

wonderwes
12-08-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

that's the best way to shatter your windshield...well besides w/ a rock.

let the heater warm it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know. It wasnt even that warm. I would say just room temperature. It was safe, no harm done. Now I have known girls that have tried using nearly boiling water on their windshield. You can obviously guess the results.