PDA

View Full Version : Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32

durron597
12-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey guys-

I am defining old school to simply mean, 'Older than 1994'. I completely randomized the seeding for this one, mostly because I think seeding may have effected the results from the last poll. I intentionally did not include multiple games from a series, when voting you can think of the game as representative of the series if you like. So there's only one Zelda game, one Megaman, one Star Wars, one Dragon Warrior, one Final Fantasy, one Sonic, etc.

Also I made an executive decision to leave out really old games like Asteriods, Pong, Pac-Man, etc. because the list was getting too long already.

Like the worst movie poll, I'll let this one run for two days.

12-06-2005, 08:27 PM
all I have to say is that if Zelda, Super Metroid, and/or FF3 US lose, I will officially lose faith in OOT completely.

BTW, great head to head lineup of Punch Out and Super Mario Kart, tought choice.

Rockatansky
12-06-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all I have to say is that if Zelda, Super Metroid, and/or FF3 US lose, I will officially lose faith in OOT completely.

BTW, great head to head lineup of Punch Out and Super Mario Kart, tought choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super Metroid is good, but, unfortunately, it is up against one of the best PC games ever made. There's no way you can't vote for Tie Fighter.

vulturesrow
12-06-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If XCOM doesnt win the whole shooting match than clearly it means that many people with no clue voted.

12-06-2005, 08:34 PM
right, whatever, tie fighter is nowhere near the game that super metroid is.

Sry, but I really dont see the argument. Of course, Im a diehard nintendo fan, and super metroid is one game I've played the [censored] out of. I think I might make the case for it being one of the best sequels of all-time.

swede123
12-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Some brutally tough matchups in this one. I think it will come down to whether a majority of people around here are PC fans or console fans.

Swede

fluff
12-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Pitting PC games against console games is like pitting NFL games against arena football.

durron597
[ QUOTE ]
Some brutally tough matchups in this one. I think it will come down to whether a majority of people around here are PC fans or console fans.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I really did randomize the seeding. Looking back I wish I had put some effort into this, like splitting Contra and Populous II, putting them each against Tie Fighter and Super Metroid.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If XCOM doesnt win the whole shooting match than clearly it means that many people with no clue voted.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh god, I know this might get me an asterisk, especially since video games are my career, but what the [censored] is an XCOM?

(Im 21, and didnt have a computer till I was 12.. total console guy).

12-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Street Fighter 2 v Mega Man 2......Both of these games are better than most of the rest. I want to see SF2 vs Super Metroid for a final. I am officially rooting for Super Metroid to win.

siccjay
12-06-2005, 08:39 PM
HOW IN THE [censored] IS DRAGON WARRIOR LOSING TO SIM CITY 2000?

siccjay
12-06-2005, 08:40 PM
also WHERE IS BASEBALL STARS?

WHAT IN THE HELL.

you guys voted castlevania over final fantasy six, largely regarded as the second best rpg of all time? HOW OLD ARE YOU PEOPLE? I could see castlevania - symphony of time, but not that awful uninspired original crapfest.

ugh, can you guys tell Im passionate about video games?

Russ McGinley
Putting Chrono Trigger vs TSB also sucks.

durron597
12-06-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HOW IN THE [censored] IS FINAL FANTASY VI LOSING TO CASTLEVANIA?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

siccjay
12-06-2005, 08:43 PM
dunno

I voted final fantasy

12-06-2005, 08:44 PM
I knew I liked you for some reason, durron.

and it wasnt your STT advice /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Freakin
12-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Holy [censored], these are some tough decisions.

durron597
12-06-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'll make it a double elimination tournament? These matches had to happen eventually, anyway...

astroglide
12-06-2005, 08:51 PM
zelda rep should be ocarina
super mario rep should be super mario world

this is cool but it's still missing a lot of top shelf games

12-06-2005, 08:53 PM
these all seem old school.

ergo, I would vote symphony of the night over the original zelda,

and ocarina of time over my firstborn baby, but this isnt the last round.

woot!

durron597
12-06-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

this is cool but it's still missing a lot of top shelf games

[/ QUOTE ]

Ocarina wasn't 1994 or earlier, it was 1998. I literally flipped a coin for Super Mario World vs. Super Mario Bros. 3.

Blarg
12-06-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As the bible says, X-Comness is close to godliness.

MrWookie47
12-06-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh god, I know this might get me an asterisk, especially since video games are my career, but what the [censored] is an XCOM?

(Im 21, and didnt have a computer till I was 12.. total console guy).

[/ QUOTE ]

X-Com, the best game of all time, is a turn based strategy game in which you're leading a squad of people against the alien invasion. I've sunk more hours into this game than any other by far.

wayabvpar
12-06-2005, 09:00 PM
The only game that should even give X-Com a run is Civilization. PC games are just so much better as a whole than consoles. Most console games (especially the old school ones) were pathetic compared to what they would have been on a PC in the same era...ESPECIALLY RPGs. Console RPGs are just wrong. PCs do them much better, just the way consoles kick the [censored] out of PCs when it comes to sports games (primarily due to the ability to multi-play in the same room, leading to great trash talking sessions).

Don't even get me started on console FPS games. Having to aim with a thumbstick vs a mouse is beyond retarded.

12-06-2005, 09:02 PM
btw, there is a DISTINCT possibility that it would be more reverent to have an all time best for consoles, and one for computers.

as far as the genres, they should be every generation against themselves, except Im not sure what the NES would butt heads with, maybe the sega master system?

Im still hurt inside that metroid wont win, I can not believe this. Again, how old are you guys, not to sound like a young douchiedouche but just because that would give the results more relevance.

Blarg
12-06-2005, 09:08 PM
X-Com has still never been topped at what it does in all these years, not even close.

And I mean that 100% literally. Not even close.

Hamish McBagpipe
12-06-2005, 09:10 PM
No Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vic-20, TRS-80 (including the notorious opium trading game), or ancient PC games means a new ultra-old school category is needed. I'm only 36 for the love of snip-snaps. I had more fun playing Zaxxon on Colecovision than most of these selections.

durron597
12-06-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vic-20, TRS-80 (including the notorious opium trading game), or ancient PC games means a new ultra-old school category is needed. I'm only 36 for the love of snip-snaps. I had more fun playing Zaxxon on Colecovision than most of these selections.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to see a poll of only games pre-NES, but I wouldn't consider myself qualified to make this poll.

einbert
12-06-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that even close? You are comparing a _football game_ to one of the greatest RPGs of all time? A game with awesome character development, storyline, dialogue, and very rich gameplay to a game where you try to move your 16 pixel guys past the other 16 pixel guys? I mean come on. Sports games have their place in the industry but this matchup should be nowhere near close.

Edit: Wow just saw the results on this one so far. All I can say is that there is obviously a huge population of [censored] jocks whose favorite game of all time is Halo in OOT. There really is no point in continuing this tournament any further because it is obvious that a huge portion of these people simply have no taste in video games whatsoever.

man
12-06-2005, 09:20 PM
these were tough matchups for me:

Super Mario Brothers 3 v.
The Secret of Monkey Island

not because it's really a question, but because I love the secret of monkey island and hated seeing it go down.

Final Fantasy III (VI)
Castlevania

the idea of FF3/VI going down to this crap makes me cry.

Dragon Warrior
Sim City 2000

I played and liked both.

in general this poll is making me emotional.

Hamish McBagpipe
12-06-2005, 09:21 PM
OK, cool, I offer to set it up after the current "best" polls are through. Pre-NES is definitely the guideline, Pong and up. We've already had a couple of good threads about those ultra-old games.

12-06-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that even close? You are comparing a _football game_ to one of the greatest RPGs of all time? A game with awesome character development, storyline, dialogue, and very rich gameplay to a game where you try to move your 16 pixel guys past the other 16 pixel guys? I mean come on. Sports games have their place in the industry but this matchup should be nowhere near close.

Edit: Wow just saw the results on this one so far. All I can say is that there is obviously a huge population of [censored] jocks whose favorite game of all time is Halo in OOT. There really is no point in continuing this tournament any further because it is obvious that a huge portion of these people simply have no taste in video games whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

but see, when I said it, I didnt sound like such a nerd.

honestly, I dont get it, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

btw, all-time classic best idea ever uber-oldschool game was galaga. period, end of damn subject.

einbert
12-06-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
btw, all-time classic best idea ever uber-oldschool game was galaga. period, end of damn subject.

[/ QUOTE ]
The omission of this game to the list is a serious travesty.

[ QUOTE ]
but see, when I said it, I didnt sound like such a nerd.

[/ QUOTE ]
The flaw that strangers most frequently point out to me is my tendency to often sound like a nerd. Honestly I'm not too concerned about it.

imported_CaseClosed326
12-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Chrono Trigger losing in the first round in retarded.

durron597
12-06-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
these were tough matchups for me:

Super Mario Brothers 3 v.
The Secret of Monkey Island

[/ QUOTE ]

Monkey Island is a great, extremely underrated game.

mj12
12-06-2005, 09:28 PM
zelda -i replaced my grade school education with years of playing that game

Soul Daddy
12-06-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, some of us aren't voting on the uber-geek scale of game craftsmanship, we're just voting on which games we had the most fun playing. TSB [censored] rules to play against friends. Having a season with a bunch of friends in high school taking each team, while demanding, is probably my greatest videogame memory.

12-06-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chrono Trigger losing in the first round in retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

and FF6 losing just kinda tips this into irrelevancy, since the original castlevania was a total piece of crap.

astroglide
12-06-2005, 09:33 PM
day of the tentacle is one of the greatest games of all time, old school or not

a lot of games will be blown out unfairly because of a lack of exposure

einbert
12-06-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Well, some of us aren't voting on the uber-geek scale of game craftsmanship, we're just voting on which games we had the most fun playing. TSB [censored] rules to play against friends. Having a season with a bunch of friends in high school taking each team, while demanding, is probably my greatest videogame memory.

[/ QUOTE ]
OMG I loved playing tictactoe with my brothers and cousins when I was five. That game was so much fun! We would play for hours and keep score, it was so fun. One of my best childhood memories!

Therefore, I have concluded that it is actually the greatest strategy game of all time.

Yes, that's right.

http://lionking.org/~shumbalion/images/tictactoe.jpg
>
http://www.box.eu.org/~dl/go/go.gif

I mean, it's just the better game.

MrWookie47
12-06-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
X-Com has still never been topped at what it does in all these years, not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It's unbelievable how a turn based strategy game that's inherently slow paced can have you so much on edge while playing it. There's no feeling like taking on a terror mission at night, stepping out of your craft, and having an alien fire at you from some unknown location.

Blarg
12-06-2005, 09:37 PM
That's the problem with OOT polls and threads of this nature.

The question is not which one you played, or had most fun playing. It's which one you think is the best.

They virtually immediately degenerate into favorites, not bests, though. Sometimes favorites parading as bests.

12-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Matches 5,6,10,13 all are quite close.

Had a tough time not voting for Tecmo Bowl, but come on, Chrono Trigger deserves to advance.

Eurotrash
12-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Dragon Warrior, Secret of Mana all losing right now

gay, imo.

12-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Whoever said this is turning into favorites vs. bests is absolutely right, but hey, its nostalgia, did you expect something different?

I would hazard a guess that these results show that many many OOT'ers cant stand RPG's

imported_anacardo
12-06-2005, 09:48 PM
How in the [censored] can Star Control II be losing to some [censored] like Mortal Kombat. Who the [censored] gives a [censored] about Mortal [censored] Kombat? A joke, you people are.

astroglide
12-06-2005, 09:50 PM
i really like old school rpgs. i stopped playing ff7 after the first disc and never went back to it because of a lack of interest. i'd happily replay final fantasy for the snes though. anything along those lines graphically and mechanically (which still happens with game boy rpgs and such).

12-06-2005, 09:52 PM
if you havent played ff5, do yourself a favor and go enjoy it, it has the job system seen in final fantasy tactics.

btw, wow, no interest in FF7? I guess I was just the right age or somethin, but it gripped me right from the start, with what I think is one of the best stories ever.

oh well, anyone else feel that way about Cloud and the gang?

Blarg
12-06-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It's unbelievable how a turn based strategy game that's inherently slow paced can have you so much on edge while playing it. There's no feeling like taking on a terror mission at night, stepping out of your craft, and having an alien fire at you from some unknown location.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. This is one of the extremely few games that actually has made me jump when something happened, given me a feeling of authentic fright.

The aliens were vicious and when that zombie making alien suddenly revealed himself by turning a corner it was stark terror because you knew something almost unstoppably horrible and powerful was going to come.

Creeping through those nighttime missions in a darkened store or lonesome field was intensely scary and full of suspense. You always dreaded nighttime missions, but if you put them off, you could lose a city or lose points with the populace or funding or all of it. You couldn't escape the terror!

And I loved that the map generator was random and that you could even play the same savegame of a battle from its beginning and have it turn out much differently. I played a bunch of my favorite battles over again, not because of winning or losing, but because they were so fun.

There was nothing like trying to make it up the stairs without getting your head blown off. The tactical challenges were fantastic, and the lightning fast realtime exchanges in a slow turn-based game were shocking and fun.

And time was handled better than in any game I've ever seen. Auto-fire enabling multiple troops to open up on a guy was great, and misusing it was always a danger. Loved those auto-fire rockets swooping in to annihilate a sector, but maybe blow you up to or knock out the stairs you needed, or engulf you in smoke you couldn't escape in time. So usually rockets weren't good for autofire ... but then you lose initiative. What a friggin great system. Moves and feels like realtime at all the right times, and lets you use so much strategy and tactics at the others. Awesome blend.

The sense of panic that you might go broke, not get your research done in time, that buying too many scientists or soldiers might have been a big mistake, that you might be caught short, that a weak base might be invaded, that an inexperienced crew might cause you to lose a battle or base station or might even get mind-controlled and waste your powerful veterans ...

(sigh) They don't make games like that anymore. They've never made one since.

tonypaladino
12-06-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
day of the tentacle is one of the greatest games of all time, old school or not

a lot of games will be blown out unfairly because of a lack of exposure

[/ QUOTE ]

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif DOTT

astroglide
12-06-2005, 09:58 PM
they're remaking ffv-jpn for the game boy, i can check it out then

12-06-2005, 10:01 PM
good, you'll love it.

okay, what OS did DOTT run on? I have a DOS emulator if I need one, and can get yall the details if you need em, just got done playing leisure suit larry, good times.

durron597
12-06-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

(sigh) They don't make games like that anymore. They've never made one since.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except the sequels /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Blarg
12-06-2005, 10:04 PM
The sequels stank in comparison. The second one was okay but definitely not as good, and the ones after that were junk.

durron597
12-06-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The sequels stank in comparison. The second one was okay but definitely not as good, and the ones after that were junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh... I spent a grand total of 5 minutes on Terror From the Deep (just got distracted, didn't play it long enough to get an impression) and didn't touch the other ones.

Phoenix1010
12-06-2005, 10:10 PM
This is pretty weak.

durron597
12-06-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is, the poll, the seeding, or the results? Or, "durron597 is a totally lame poster".

astroglide
12-06-2005, 10:15 PM
all of the lucasarts games run under scummvm

12-06-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is, the poll, the seeding, or the results? Or, "durron597 is a totally lame poster".

[/ QUOTE ]

all I heard was "troll".

Mvcode3
12-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Masters of Orion 2 should get a shot, way way way way better the MOO.

Soul Daddy
12-06-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The question is not which one you played, or had most fun playing. It's which one you think is the best.

They virtually immediately degenerate into favorites, not bests, though. Sometimes favorites parading as bests.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with your point in general terms. The term best is used quite often in threads like these and favorite would be more applicable.

But in this case, videogames are supposed to be fun. That is their most desireble trait. So, without the expertise required to be a true critic, voting based on which games I consider the most fun and replayable seems like a decent criteria to me.

kiemo
Match 16 is near impossible.

Chrono Trigger is probably the best RPG of all time on any console prior to FF7.

And Super Tecmo Bowl is one of the best dorm room games of all time. Course I didnt have the internet in my dorm days.

durron597
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I only played the first one and loved it... I've heard great things about both. However, the second one is disqualified since it is 1996. (the first one was 1993).

12-06-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with your point in general terms. The term best is used quite often in threads like these and favorite would be more applicable.

But in this case, videogames are supposed to be fun. That is their most desireble trait. So, without the expertise required to be a true critic, voting based on which games I consider the most fun and replayable seems like a decent criteria to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree, and go on to say that the only time that fun wouldnt be pertinent is if you polled games based on their market impact... but who wants to do that other than future dev's like me.

No one, thats who.

Blarg
12-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Something can be fun or not fun whether it's the best or isn't, and if the best has an element of subjectivity, fun is almost completely subjective, so is a poor pointer to what is best.

Basically you've just got two different questions.

I may love Stratego and have more fun playing it, but without question Chess is a better game, whether I like it or not.

And yes, I like Stratego better than Chess.

durron597
12-06-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Something can be fun or not fun whether it's the best or isn't, and if the best has an element of subjectivity, fun is almost completely subjective, so is a poor pointer to what is best.

Basically you've just got two different questions.

I may love Stratego and have more fun playing it, but without question Chess is a better game, whether I like it or not.

And yes, I like Stratego better than Chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

And X-Com is better than Star Control 2, even though I like Star Control 2 better.

Jeff W
12-06-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The original Master of Orion is the better game. MoO 2 goes over to the micromanagement dark side.

Btw, if anyone wants to play the original game, go here:

http://www.jonsullivan.com/misc/moo.php3

DrSavage
12-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Civilization shouldn't get knocked out first round, it ain't right :/

durron597
12-06-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It got a really bad first round seed, I think I might make this double elimination /images/graemlins/wink.gif

vulturesrow
12-06-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It got a really bad first round seed, I think I might make this double elimination /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you came up with a solid concept but you need to narrow it down to PC games vs PC games and Console games vs. Console games, maybe even whittle it down into genre.

Blarg
12-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Agreed.

Phoenix1010
12-06-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

all I heard was "troll".

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you? Wait, don't answer, just be quiet.

Durron597 is a great poster, but this isn't a great poll. There are too many games that qualify as old school to really make a decent poll on it. You would have to narrow it down some. Some of these are not even the best games in their respective series' (Castelvania, Super Mario 3). And I think random seeding really ruins the purpose of these tournament style polls. It would be much better as a free for all. Good idea, weak execution I say.

12-07-2005, 12:19 AM
dude, I know who you are, and I wanted to actually hear your opinion. therefore I call you a troll, you respond with substance.

check.

mate.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

p.s. no hard feelings, right?

durron597
12-07-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are too many games that qualify as old school to really make a decent poll on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree, in retrospect.

[ QUOTE ]
Castelvania

[/ QUOTE ]
Never played it, but remember it had to be 1994 or earlier.

[ QUOTE ]
Super Mario 3

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a matter of opinion, it's certainly close.

[ QUOTE ]

And I think random seeding really ruins the purpose of these tournament style polls.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is your best objection. The problem is that there were so many good games that I was going to have trouble seeding them, and people would have bitched about the seeding... I spent enough time coming up with the list of games, meh. You're probably right. I'll work on rearranging the matches for the round of 16 and I'll make it double elimination, in an attempt to give the good games with bad seeding a chance to do better (like Civilization).

[ QUOTE ]
It would be much better as a free for all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Disagree

[ QUOTE ]
Good idea, execution could be better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd agree with this statement.

12-07-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are too many games that qualify as old school to really make a decent poll on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree, in retrospect.

[ QUOTE ]
Castelvania

[/ QUOTE ]
Never played it, but remember it had to be 1994 or earlier.

[ QUOTE ]
Super Mario 3

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a matter of opinion, it's certainly close.

[ QUOTE ]

And I think random seeding really ruins the purpose of these tournament style polls.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is your best objection. The problem is that there were so many good games that I was going to have trouble seeding them, and people would have bitched about the seeding... I spent enough time coming up with the list of games, meh. You're probably right. I'll work on rearranging the matches for the round of 16 and I'll make it double elimination, in an attempt to give the good games with bad seeding a chance to do better (like Civilization).

[ QUOTE ]
It would be much better as a free for all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Disagree

[ QUOTE ]
Good idea, execution could be better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd agree with this statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way you could have executed this better would have taken too long, and been cumbersome (i.e. a poll about which mario game was better, which castlevania was better) or multiple polls about genres and then people would bitch more...

I say stick with it.

BadBoyBenny
12-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Punch out, Super Mario Cart, Zelda, and Civilization all should be winners. This is tough.

Exitonly
12-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Wow Secret of Mana is one of the best SNES games. (up there with Link to the Past)

COME ON SECRET OF MANA.

12-07-2005, 12:55 AM
The fact that Dune 2 is getting so little love is making me very sad. a)So much fun. b)Look what it unleashed.

12-07-2005, 12:57 AM
The crazy thing is that there are a ton of really good important games that arent listed, but hey you gotta feel for durron, this type of thing is so hard to put all together while minimizing bitching.

kudos.

hhughes
12-07-2005, 01:02 AM
argh...no Command and Conquer???

Blarg
12-07-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that Dune 2 is getting so little love is making me very sad. a)So much fun. b)Look what it unleashed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's widely respected as starting the RTS genre, but the thing is, I never met anyone who ever played it. It seemed to spend very little time in the public eye. I think it's one of those unsung heroes, except by the cognoscenti.

durron597
12-07-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
argh...no Command and Conquer???

[/ QUOTE ]

Needs to be 1994 or earlier...

GameFAQs info page (http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/data/196957.html)

I feel you dude but I had to draw the line somewhere.

12-07-2005, 01:47 AM
If i missed the explanation for this, I apologize up front, but where the hell are Ms. Pacman and Gauntlett? I am very, very old

Gary

tpir90036
12-07-2005, 01:51 AM
oh my goodness... Punch-out v. Mario Kart and Chrono Trigger v. Tecmo Super Bowl are brutal. All 4 of those games are in the top echelon of my all-time greatest list.

i am going to have nightmares about this,
tpir

tpir90036
12-07-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed on both counts... but i also have to give a nod to mario 64. i know that 3d games get knocked by lots of old-school gaming fans (myself included) but mario 64 is totally amazing.

tpir90036
12-07-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How is that even close? You are comparing a _football game_ to one of the greatest RPGs of all time?

There really is no point in continuing this tournament any further because it is obvious that a huge portion of these people simply have no taste in video games whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is typical nerd fodder and is also utter horsesh*t. chrono trigger is my favorite RPG of all-time and i definitely picked it over tecmo super bowl. however, tecmo super bowl was way ahead of it's time as far as sports games go and was simply a fantastic game. it deserves to be in the contest.

sadly for chrono trigger more people don't know what it is. and like tetris, everyone knows tecmo bowl. so while on one hand i agree with you re: CT > TSB. i can't let you blast TSB either /images/graemlins/wink.gif

p.s. halo sucks

TheMetetron
12-07-2005, 02:04 AM
That the original Zelda for NES is not on here makes me sad.

TheMetetron
12-07-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
HOW IN THE [censored] IS DRAGON WARRIOR LOSING TO SIM CITY 2000?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

This is ridiculous. Obviously the average OOTiot is 12 and has never owned an NES.

There is no way that Dragon Warrior can lose against Sim City 2000. Sorry.

Clarkmeister
12-07-2005, 02:08 AM
Warlords III: Darklords Rising.

TimM
12-07-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pitting PC games against console games is like pitting NFL games against arena football.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I saw the title, I was thinking Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac Man, Pong, etc. I guess I am too [censored] old for this thread.

einbert
12-07-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is typical nerd fodder and is also utter horsesh*t. chrono trigger is my favorite RPG of all-time and i definitely picked it over tecmo super bowl. however, tecmo super bowl was way ahead of it's time as far as sports games go and was simply a fantastic game. it deserves to be in the contest.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are wrong. I have already clearly spelled out why.

Tecmo Super Bowl might be a fun and entertaining game for some people. In particular I can see retarded people and people that cannot read without expending large amounts of mental energy preferring a football video game over a true work of art like Chrono Trigger. But the fact that it is more fun for these poor imbeciles does not make it a better game.

Most OOTers have never played the ancient strategy game Go, in fact probably more have played the recently popular online Risk. If you made a poll asking which is the better game, Risk would probably win right now. However, a true objective analysis of these games can be done. Go has more heritage, more strategy, more culture, and more thought to it than Risk. Risk is simply popular recently. This is the same reason MTV is showing Britney Spears music videos and other crap instead of Beethoven. But anyone with any clue knows that Beethoven's music is simply better than Britney Spears--regardless of what some teenagers prefer.

Euphoria is nice, and addictive. And I can see where it has its place with these fans of Tecmo Super Bowl. It has influenced them to the point where they don't really care about which game is superior, they just remember "oh wow that game was really fun." If any of these clowns were to actually play through a game like Chrono Trigger, they would realize that these two games don't deserve to be in the same league even. It's a real travesty that that has been done, and the result really shows OOT's lack of taste and basic ignorance.

But yeah, keep calling me a nerd and refuting my statements with a total lack of logic or substantial thought like everyone else in this thread already has. I'm sure that will make you feel better about yourself.

durron597
12-07-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
agreed on both counts... but i also have to give a nod to mario 64. i know that 3d games get knocked by lots of old-school gaming fans (myself included) but mario 64 is totally amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

When I saw the title, I was thinking Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac Man, Pong, etc. I guess I am too [censored] old for this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Argh. Ok, for the last time:

In an attempt to make the list of games manageable, I limited myself to the following restrictions:

1) By Old School, I meant like late 80s early 90s. I forget what the date of the earliest game on here is, but 1988-1994 sounds about right.
2) So that the list wasn't swamped with a million different kinds of great games, I picked one representative game. I thought that A Link to the Past was clearly better than the original Legend of Zelda (though BOTH are awesome games), so I just put that one.

Blarg
12-07-2005, 02:24 AM
I don't even know the video games you are talking about, but I loved the vigor and vinegar of your answer.

I do know Go, just not well. It has been years since I played it or read a Go book. But I know that Go is rich enough for a lifetime of study and a beautiful game.

I made a similar remark tonight about Stratego and Chess. I like Stratego better, but I know that doesn't mean it's a better game than chess.

Reef
12-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Tecmo bowl beating Chrono Trigger? It's a sad, sad day. I have lost confidence in OOT's polling credibility.

12-07-2005, 05:13 AM
RAMPART
mario 3
tecmo football
rbi baseball
nhl 94
top gear

winslowned
http://winslowned.ytmnd.com/

ZeeJustin
12-07-2005, 05:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo bowl beating Chrono Trigger? It's a sad, sad day. I have lost confidence in OOT's polling credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chrono Trigger is in my top 10 favorite games of all time (maybe even top 5) but this didn't surprise me.

Most people that vote in this thread probably haven't even played half the games. You ahve to remember that. Out of people that played both, I'm pretty sure CT would be a favorite, but TSB was just way more popular. Everyone has played that game.

That's the nature of these polls.

ZeeJustin
12-07-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. That was one of the first things I saw in this poll and it made me sick.

To be fair though, most of his other choices were correct.
I def agree with Megaman 2.
I agree w/ SF2 although SF2 Turbo is a minor improvement of the same game.
Mario 3: obv
Dragon Warrior is a tough one, but I prolly like the original better than DW3, so I'll agree w/ that.
Sim City should be on the list over 2000 IMO.

I'm assuming FF7 is post 1994, so FF6 is the clear choice for that one (those are my 2 favorite games of all time w/ FF7 having the very slight edge).

I personally preferred Mortal Kombat 3, but I don't think there's anything close to a concensus on those so you kind of have to go with the original I guess.

I strongly disagree with Sonic 3. You HAVE to go with the original on that one. I guess you could argue that the turbo charge thing you can do in 2 and on makes them better, but other than that, the original is just so superior.

To be honest, I've never played super metroid, but I'm surprised to see it ahead of the original nonetheless.

dankhank
12-07-2005, 07:08 AM
as a former nintendo world championships official semifinalist (detroit region) circa 1992, i say this is a strong collection of games. there are some difficult first round matchups such as dragon warrior vs sim city 2000, but mike tyson's punchout vs super mario kart is an impossible choice. these are two of the top five games in the contest.

the most played titles like super mario bros 3 will be tough to beat, but there are definitely games i enjoyed more. tecmo super bowl is up there for me because of so much replayability. i liked doing whole seasons with my friends and then picking pro bowl teams based on the comprehensive stats. the computer opponents were weak though so we all used the worst teams and played their backups. i did some serious damage with tampa bay benchwarmers.

contra and mega man 2 for best side scrollers. contra for pure fun and mega man 2 for unique challenges. where is ninja gaiden?

super mario kart best overall i think

ZeeJustin
12-07-2005, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me for speaking so bluntly sir, but that pick makes me want to puke my guts out.

Obviously it was a great game, but you went to nintendo competitions and THIS is your favorite game on the list? Are you mad?

Maybe this is another topic itself, but I think MarioKart64 was much better than its SNES counterpart. Obviously it was post 1994, so it doesn't apply to the poll, but that game had so much more depth, replayability, and more challenging aspects than the SNES version. I'm curious how you feel about this.

12-07-2005, 08:39 AM
dude no offense but being a nintendo champion doesnt mean [censored] but that you didnt have a life.

I have studied the market, I am a programmer, and a lifelong gaming nerd, but I didnt feel the need to try and grow my epenis by bragging about it, jeez.

Super Mario Kart was a really good game both in popularity and history... however just because you really really really like it doesnt mean it's the best ever.

Really if you want to talk about importance, it's hard to go past NES games, since virtually all of the popular games pioneered new genres and such.

emil3000
12-07-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're all idiots.
Tie Fighter going out in the first round makes me sad, but I guess Super Metroid is a bit too tough.

uncleshady
12-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Where is River City Ransom...arguably the best NES game ever.

Or Raiders of the Lost Ark for the 2600? I have friends to this day who still dont belive I beat it when I was a kid.

And dont get me started on the best Pinball game ever...

durron597
12-07-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
where is ninja gaiden?

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be here instead of Blaster Master. Argh, good catch.

durron597
12-07-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. That was one of the first things I saw in this poll and it made me sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Link to the Past is a straight up better game than the original Zelda, period.

10 reasons "A Link to the Past" is better than "Legend of Zelda"

1) The graphics are better
2) In "A Link to the Past", you get the ability to run around faster very early (Pegasus Boots). This makes running around the world a lot less tedious.
3) There's a lot less "trying" crap. For example, there is no indication in the second quest that you can walk through walls until you actually do it.
4) Similarly, it's actually possible to find everything without spending hours burning every tree and bombing every rock and blowing the whistle in every screen. Remember trying to find level 8 in the second quest? Yeah.
5) The items are cooler.
6) "A Link to the Past" had fun minigames.
7) With the whole "Master Sword"/"Dark World" plot, you get a nice boost of accomplishment in the middle of the game. Then you go "oh, crap". Great story/gameplay. Legend of Zelda is much more of a grind.
8) The enemies are more interesting when they're not restricted to all be the same size. There are no piehats in Zelda 3. The bosses are also a lot more interesting.
9) Multi-leveled dungeons made them more fun and increased the puzzle possibilities.
10) The story was a lot better, Link and Zelda and Aganhim and Sahasrahla (sp?) all at least have some sort of personality. The entire plof of Legend of Zelda is contained in the game's opening sequence which you might not even see if you just press start immediately. It's just "ok, kill a bunch of crap and free the princess".

Now, don't get me wrong. It's a great game and I loved it and beat it multiple times. But, a Link to the past is better.

durron597
12-07-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ SF2 although SF2 Turbo is a minor improvement of the same game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was never a big SF player, and as far as I knew SF2 and SF2T were the same game.

[ QUOTE ]

Mario 3: obv

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think it was obvious, like I told another poster in this thread I flipped a coin vs. Super Mario World. Both are truly excellent games and this debate probably deserves its own thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Dragon Warrior is a tough one, but I prolly like the original better than DW3, so I'll agree w/ that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually never played DW3, my Dragon Warrior experience is a lot more limited than it ought to be.

[ QUOTE ]

Sim City should be on the list over 2000 IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this, 2000 added a lot of stuff including a more 3D view, hills are done a lot better, and zoning is much better than assigning 3x3 blocks.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming FF7 is post 1994, so FF6 is the clear choice for that one (those are my 2 favorite games of all time w/ FF7 having the very slight edge).

[/ QUOTE ]

FF7 is post 1994. That would have been an extremely hard choice for me if it wasn't.

[ QUOTE ]

I personally preferred Mortal Kombat 3, but I don't think there's anything close to a concensus on those so you kind of have to go with the original I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my logic.

[ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree with Sonic 3. You HAVE to go with the original on that one. I guess you could argue that the turbo charge thing you can do in 2 and on makes them better, but other than that, the original is just so superior.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was never much of a big Sonic player. I went with three because of the ordering on this page. (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/genesis/) I can't argue the point any better than that.

[ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I've never played super metroid, but I'm surprised to see it ahead of the original nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super Metroid is better than the original for a few reasons

1) The original is just too hard. Remember trying to get the Varia suit without the high jump boots?
2) More different weapons
3) You get to see Samus naked at the end

Jeebus
12-07-2005, 10:35 AM
haven't read the responses yet, but these brackets could be better or something. Asking a question like punch out or mario kart just isn't fair to do to someone. Castlevania or FF come on.

durron597
12-07-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
haven't read the responses yet, but these brackets could be better or something. Asking a question like punch out or mario kart just isn't fair to do to someone. Castlevania or FF come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are sooooooooooo many good games on this list, those aren't the only two really tough ones.

tpir90036
12-07-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo Super Bowl might be a fun and entertaining game for some people. In particular I can see retarded people and people that cannot read without expending large amounts of mental energy preferring a football video game over a true work of art like Chrono Trigger.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is you making fun of these people any different or better than me saying "nerd fodder"? Your verbal barbs are certainly a little more harsh than anything I said.

[ QUOTE ]
But the fact that it is more fun for these poor imbeciles does not make it a better game.

[/ QUOTE ]
To them it does. Who would prefer a game they had less fun playing? Granted, most people have not played CT. But RPGs are not for everyone (which is sad).

[ QUOTE ]
But yeah, keep calling me a nerd and refuting my statements with a total lack of logic or substantial thought like everyone else in this thread already has. I'm sure that will make you feel better about yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoa dude. Take 'er easy. For the record, I did not call you a nerd. I simply took umbrage with your view of everyone who did not agree with you being a dumb jock. I happen to love both games... and I think it's very sad that more people do not know about games like CT. In fact, I agree with everything you said if you take the personal attacks out of it! I was trying to play devil's advocate on a topic that is fun for me to discuss (being in the video game industry)....but I guess you could not hang without going to the bag o' insults. Too bad. I also tried to use both logic and thought in my responses but I guess I am just not smart enough to communciate with you properly.

Take care,
tpir

tpir90036
12-07-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
where is ninja gaiden?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No way dude. Blaster Master was way ahead of it's time. That was an incredible game and I think having it on the list was a good touch. The top 64 teams in the country don't always make the NCAA tournament.... uh oh, I am talking about sports now. I must be a dumb jock!!!!

(Goes back to playing Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time on DS)
tpir

12-07-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A Link to the Past is a straight up better game than the original Zelda, period.

10 reasons "A Link to the Past" is better than "Legend of Zelda"

1) The graphics are better
2) In "A Link to the Past", you get the ability to run around faster very early (Pegasus Boots). This makes running around the world a lot less tedious.
3) There's a lot less "trying" crap. For example, there is no indication in the second quest that you can walk through walls until you actually do it.
4) Similarly, it's actually possible to find everything without spending hours burning every tree and bombing every rock and blowing the whistle in every screen. Remember trying to find level 8 in the second quest? Yeah.
5) The items are cooler.
6) "A Link to the Past" had fun minigames.
7) With the whole "Master Sword"/"Dark World" plot, you get a nice boost of accomplishment in the middle of the game. Then you go "oh, crap". Great story/gameplay. Legend of Zelda is much more of a grind.
8) The enemies are more interesting when they're not restricted to all be the same size. There are no piehats in Zelda 3. The bosses are also a lot more interesting.
9) Multi-leveled dungeons made them more fun and increased the puzzle possibilities.
10) The story was a lot better, Link and Zelda and Aganhim and Sahasrahla (sp?) all at least have some sort of personality. The entire plof of Legend of Zelda is contained in the game's opening sequence which you might not even see if you just press start immediately. It's just "ok, kill a bunch of crap and free the princess".

Now, don't get me wrong. It's a great game and I loved it and beat it multiple times. But, a Link to the past is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely hands down you have become my favorite poster. Im not sure if I'd rather play against you in some video games or start some random nerd argument... sounds like fun either way.

River City Ransom... dear god someone just tell me what happens when you beat it, I never have, and likely never will.

ty.

durron597
12-07-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
where is ninja gaiden?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No way dude. Blaster Master was way ahead of it's time. That was an incredible game and I think having it on the list was a good touch. The top 64 teams in the country don't always make the NCAA tournament.... uh oh, I am talking about sports now. I must be a dumb jock!!!!

(Goes back to playing Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time on DS)
tpir

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Populous II, then? I feel like an idiot for not including Ninja Gaiden but I don't know who should have come out for it.

Cancuk
12-07-2005, 12:35 PM
I guess i wasn't really around for the nominations in this poll and maybe i'm missing something; but the simple fact that both Duckhunt and Blades of Steel arn't here is unforgivable.

astroglide
12-07-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Forgive me for speaking so bluntly sir, but that pick makes me want to puke my guts out.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg, are you using an american beauty 'quote'? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

you may be the worst movie quoter ever

astroglide
12-07-2005, 12:39 PM
p.s. you guys need to replay river city ransom to see how much you like it now. i absolutely loved it then too.

12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
yeah, I might try it out.

12-07-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess i wasn't really around for the nominations in this poll and maybe i'm missing something; but the simple fact that both Duckhunt

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/8105/duckhunt6qh.jpg

tpir90036
12-07-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
p.s. you guys need to replay river city ransom to see how much you like it now. i absolutely loved it then too.

[/ QUOTE ]
River City Ransom EX for Gameboy Advance is very good if people are not down with emulators for some reason.

tpir90036
12-07-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Populous II, then? I feel like an idiot for not including Ninja Gaiden but I don't know who should have come out for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe. I think you included enough of the top PC games (X-Com, Doom, etc.) and maybe could have left off Populous.

Cry Me A River
12-07-2005, 01:13 PM
I realise this has been mentioned before but I'm going to harp on it again... This is NOT and "Old School" poll, it's more like "Middle School". It'd be like doing a "Classic Rock" poll and starting with Nirvana...

12-07-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I realise this has been mentioned before but I'm going to harp on it again... This is NOT and "Old School" poll, it's more like "Middle School". It'd be like doing a "Classic Rock" poll and starting with Nirvana...

[/ QUOTE ]

not so, the game industry as we know it today should really be considered after the fall of the atari (think E.T.) because of the different dynamics and such. The only exception is arcade gaming, which is neither console nor computer, and therefore would be discounted.

dankhank
12-07-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously it was a great game, but you went to nintendo competitions and THIS is your favorite game on the list? Are you mad?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am definitely biased towards multiplayer games as that is all i play nowadays, plus they had so much more replay value and good memories compared to single player games. super mario kart had such premium on turning skills combined with fighting abilities in-race, that i just remember lots of great battles against friends. there were more unexpected outcomes in mario kart than others on the list, and that's what i come to associate great games with nowadays. doom would be in my top five also, for multiplayer reasons.

i mean the disappearing blocks over lava level in mega man 2, that was a lot of fun to beat, but it had to do with repitition and planning, and i may have only done it once before i was satisfied.

mario kart 64 was a great game but i didn't play it as much as the original. you're right there were a lot of big improvements, especially graphically. i am biased against all games in those later platforms due to the joystick controllers. you make me rethink my pick though - in truth it is hard to say which of these is my favorite...

actually i may have enjoyed fzero more than either mario kart...