PDA

View Full Version : The problem with poker books is that...

12-06-2005, 06:29 PM
They do a good job of coaching offense: when to bet, when to raise etc., but they don't do a good job of descibing how to deal with situations when your opponent answers aggressively. The question of when to abort the mission, especially in no-limit, isn't covered thoroughly.

joop
12-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Well said, I have thought this too... and having read all the books, I feel I play great offence, but suck at defence.

12-07-2005, 01:47 AM
1. I think this is handled well in Super System.
2. I believe this is handled in other books, you just have to know where to look.
Having said that, I think it comes down to experience and playing your opponent. Just today, for example, I'm playing short-handed and I noticed the guy to my right is tight-passive, however, he raises on the button every single time it's folded to him (this was a pretty passive table overall). So, having noticed this, I decided to reraise 3X his bet every time he does it. Sure enough, he folds. He keeps raising, I keep reraising him with nothing, he keeps folding. Hell, that was more profitable than stealing the blinds myself. The point of my rambling is, I suck at playing in the blinds. I've never read anything on how to play the blinds and I wouldn't mind for one of the more experienced players to give me some advice, but, I was paying attention to the game tonight and, most importantly, my opponent, made an adjustment, and it worked out fine. I have a note on that guy and you can bet the next time I see him at a table I will take the seat immediately to his left if I can.

12-07-2005, 02:06 AM
I thought Phil Gordon gives some good tips on playing from the blinds in his Little Green Book

rusellmj
12-07-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never read anything on how to play the blinds and I wouldn't mind for one of the more experienced players to give me some advice...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask, and ye shall receive. (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/issue11/seetin1105.html)

12-07-2005, 02:40 AM
Thank you, I'll be sure to read that when I get a chance tomorrow.