PDA

View Full Version : pushbot at 5.50 and 11 games

12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
ive been finding it is rather hard for me to be successful useing this style at these levels i tend to start at the 75/150 levels and up. (this is on ultimate bet 10min blinds) and ive been finding people are calling me with crap(j8o Q6o) thus forceing me to take toss ups. i tend to push only with %80 or better hands, i tend to be the fav when they call but i dont really know if i want to take these toss ups. i feel im better than most of the players and can grind em out. i just hate throwing away great steal attempts. any suggestions.
(sorry one thing to add i usually have them covered thats why i cant understand there calls)

12-06-2005, 06:27 PM
getting your money in the middle when you're favored is a good thing, but you need to cognizant of what your $EV is for the play you're making. even if you're favored percentage-wise, you're correct in thinking that you may not want to be risking your whole stack stack as a 55% favorite, if there's stilll six players left.

definitely check out SitNGo PowerTools to do some ICM calculations about this. peep the FAQ about this.

if you feel confident about your post-flop play, that's terrific, but there are going to be times when you're stack is dwindling relative to the blinds where your fold equity begins to fall dramatically... this is where the pushbotting becomes really necessary.

tigerite
12-06-2005, 06:27 PM
If they're calling with Q9 you should be far more than a 'toss up' if you're pushing correctly, more like 60/40 at the least, and these are edges you cannot pass up, nor should you wish to, unless it's some very ridiculous situation where a micro-stack could creep into the money.

tigerite
12-06-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
getting your money in the middle when you're favored is a good thing, but you need to cognizant of what your $EV is for the play you're making. even if you're favored percentage-wise, you're correct in thinking that you may not want to be risking your whole stack stack as a 55% favorite, if there's stilll six players left.

definitely check out SitNGo PowerTools to do some ICM calculations about this. peep the FAQ about this.

if you feel confident about your post-flop play, that's terrific, but there are going to be times when you're stack is dwindling relative to the blinds where your fold equity begins to fall dramatically... this is where the pushbotting becomes really necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually - by ICM it's very rare indeed to not want to get your money in as a 55% favourite unless you're on the bubble (4 handed) or some strange situation 5 handed with two very small stacks.

For instance.. should I fold here if I know he's on AK?

PartyPoker - NL Texas Hold'em $100 Buy-in + $9 Entry Fee Tournament | Level: 6 - 5 players (Converter: PGC (http://client.pokergrader.com))

Chip Counts:
Button: 2115 Chips
SB: 840 Chips
BB: 2430 Chips
<font color="red">Hero: 2785 Chips</font>
CO: 1830 Chips

Hero is UTG with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif
Blinds are 100/200

PreFlop
<font color="red">Hero RAISES ($500)</font>, CO is All-In, <font color="blue">Button folds</font>
<font color="blue">SB folds</font>, <font color="blue">BB folds</font>, <font color="green">Hero...</font>

You may be surprised to find the answer is no, as I only need to be a 51% favourite to call here, even by ICM. (I actually did call as I had a read on him as being particularly loose, and was surprised he had a hand as good as AK when he turned his hand over)

12-06-2005, 06:35 PM
wow. i did not realize that. thanks man.

however, i was thinking more about when the chip stack sizes are reversed, although I now see the OP says he had them covered.

tigerite
12-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Of course, this is a little misleading as I've already put 500 into the pot, and though I have to call another 1330, with his push putting the total to win at 2630, it would be tough indeed to fold that, even by pot odds alone.

But generally, 55% is okay to call, unless you want a very high edge, that's sometimes okay, but not too often.

12-06-2005, 06:45 PM
hmm seems judging by the reaction i should just continue yo keep doin what im doin. i guess maybe a bunch of suckouts in a row had me second guessing. one more thing though. say there is 5 people left and im comfortably in 1st or 2nd but a toss up with 3 or 4 of the other people with a loss will push me way back to where im now fighting to make it itm. should i still bew making these moves???

tigerite
12-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Yes absolutely, IMHO, because winning against them gives you an even bigger advantage going into the bubble (4 handed). I mean it's situation dependent a little though.. give some examples?