PDA

View Full Version : Stud8 - Day 5, Hand 5

Aaron W.
12-06-2005, 02:46 PM
This one seems obvious, but I wanted to check anyway. There was a recent post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4084866&an=0&page=0#Post 4084866) about playing hidden pairs aggressive, but there are soooooo many lows out there and it's already a multiway pot. I can imagine myself raising this in early position with no limpers (it would take some self-convincing before I did it), I just don't see the value here. I thought that maybe with all the lows that nobody would be likely to get it (bunching?), but I don't know if that's really a reasonable idea.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter (http://j.1asphost.com/greenage))

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Hero: T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif___brings-in
Seat 7: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls

mscags
12-06-2005, 03:06 PM
HIdden Kings are a lot stronger than hidden tens. This is a good fold

Alchemist
12-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Don't even play it with scags's money. Muck city.

mscags
12-06-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't even play it with scags's money. Muck city.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, are we getting a stars tourney together anytime soon btw?

Alchemist
12-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah I was thinking about that yesterday. Think I should just pick a time and see who comes or try and get some kind of concensus?

mscags
12-06-2005, 03:19 PM
I would just pick some time in the evening or like sat or sun afternoon when most ppl arent busy and just set it up. Doesn't seem like anything gets accomplished when we try and get a vote lol

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-06-2005, 03:54 PM
You have to see 4th on this hand. Taking into account that callers likely have other low cards, half the low cards are already dead and low 2-pair hands and straights are going to be tough to make. You may have to bail on 5th here, but this hand has good potential considering nobody may make a low and the pot is potentially a reasonable size.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-06-2005, 04:00 PM
I don't know. I like taking one off here. He'll see so much of the deck by 4th that his decision there will be easy.

mscags
12-06-2005, 04:05 PM
What card are you looking to see to continue on fourth besides a ten?

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-06-2005, 04:14 PM
A six, an ace, or a medium diamond would be fine. More important are what cards on the other boards. Right now I probably have the best high hand and it costs me less than one sb to see 6 more cards on the board. As long as I don't get stupid on 4th I'm not going to get creamed. Considering what might come off, I may get a free look at 5th and if I make 2-pair or better I may get paid off by a few low draws that don't materialize.

mscags
12-06-2005, 04:19 PM
I don't agree. This is one of those hands where you will win a little or lose a lot. More often than not the latter.

12-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Other than playing 10s in a raised pot I don't think there could be a much worse situation under which to play them in Stud 8 than one where you are against what appears to be at least 5 people going low, with a possible 6th if the bringin has something.

A 6 or a diamond will not be enough to continue on 4th, unless every opponent miraculously catches bad. The only card I could catch here and possibly have any desire to continue is a 10. Doing anything other than folding on 3rd seems like the beginning of what could become a catastrophe of "I'll just call one more...". The safest way to play 10s in Stud 8 is to fold them.

Spladle Master
12-06-2005, 05:09 PM
I would call third street. But for this call to be profitable you must play very well on the later streets. And even then it is marginal. I enjoy putting myself in marginal situations because it gives me an opportunity to improve my game. But if you are playing strictly to win money then you would probably do well to fold third, since calling will increase your variance while only marginally increasing your winrate.