PDA

View Full Version : really annoying commerical with a message

Voltron87
12-06-2005, 02:45 PM
There's this commerical I've been seeing on TV way too much, some white guy in a suit is getting lunch. His hispanic waiter gets him plain bread instead of whole wheat. The guy starts yelling at the waiter, "hey man, i asked for whole wheat, 'el wheato'". the other people at the restaraunt give him this disgusted look. Then the white dude (who is really overcast to look like a douchebag) says "well if you want to work here, you have to speak the language, you know what i mean?" and one of the patrons gives him this solemn goofy look and says "No sir. I don't." Then there's this voiceover about some anti racism organization or something. Its logo is a candle or something.

wtf is it even supposed to prove?

Shajen
12-06-2005, 02:47 PM
that only white people are racist.

miajag81
12-06-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever dude. That waiter totally stole a white person's job.

Spicymoose
12-06-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That adding "o" to the end of any English word makes it sound a bit spanish.

Ulysses
12-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Voltron,

I was sure this post was going to be about the commercial where a dude sticks his fist in his mouth because his friends who told him to smoke weed told him to do it, but he can't get it out.

Shajen
12-06-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever dude. That waiter totally stole a white person's job.

[/ QUOTE ]

It twas sarcasm dude. The message the commercial is trying to get across is simple, it just annoyed the OP. Ya dig?

swede123
12-06-2005, 02:54 PM
You clearly missed the point. The waiter is the racist here, imposing a silly demand that white people should eat white bread and brown people should eat brown bread. The customer is trying to break down these barriers, but clearly the man (the waiter) is keeping him down.

Swede

imported_The Vibesman
12-06-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious. It's one commercial. If it was a hispanic person belittling an Asian, would you interpret that as "Only Hispanic people are racist"?

I find that white people's tendency to jerk the knee and scream "reverse racism" is one of the funniest things about American culture today. Oh, us poor, put-upon white folk. How do we even survive when today's society is so intent on keeping us down?

BTW, the commercial does sound really stupid.

Luzion
12-06-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious. It's one commercial. If it was a hispanic person belittling an Asian, would you interpret that as "Only Hispanic people are racist"?

I find that white people's tendency to jerk the knee and scream "reverse racism" is one of the funniest things about American culture today. Oh, us poor, put-upon white folk. How do we even survive when today's society is so intent on keeping us down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its hilarious that you thought he was serious.

Shajen
12-06-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh* I guess I need a better way to express sarcasm.

12-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Personally, I prefer pumpernickel, if ya catch my drift.

imported_The Vibesman
12-06-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

*sigh* I guess I need a better way to express sarcasm.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its hilarious that you thought he was serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. I've seen a little bit of that on these boards (reverse racism, not sarcasm - seen quite a bit of sarcasm, come to think of it) and completely misinterpreted your post.

[Emily Latella] Never mind. [/Emily Latella]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
12-06-2005, 03:01 PM
It's all good dude.

I should have white texted it.

TheWorstPlayer
12-06-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
White supremacist a-hole.

wdeadwyler
12-06-2005, 03:09 PM
On a related tangent, I asked the Mexican lady who makes my sandwiches at the sandwhich shop how to saw wheat bread in Spanish and she said she didn't know.

She wasnt kidding either.

Ulysses
12-06-2005, 03:10 PM
All:

Have any of you seen the anti-marijuana commercial where the dude's fist is stuck in his mouth?

Shajen
12-06-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
White supremacist a-hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.

Ulysses
12-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Voltron,

I have not seen this commercial, but I am confused about this:

one of the patrons gives him this solemn goofy look and says "No sir. I don't."

Why did he say "I don't" as opposed to "you don't." ? Or was it the waiter, not the patron? I am really confused.

wdeadwyler
12-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Diablo,

Yes I have seen it, it was informative and witty

PS: I tried to quick reply this to you and got the form no longer valid for prob the 4th time in a row I have attempted to use quick reply. I will no longer be using quick reply.

IndieMatty
12-06-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All:

Have any of you seen the anti-marijuana commercial where the dude's fist is stuck in his mouth?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, its disturbingly long.

pokerdirty
12-06-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It is lame.

12-06-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a related tangent, I asked the Mexican lady who makes my sandwiches at the sandwhich shop how to saw wheat bread in Spanish and she said she didn't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn them self hating Mexican sandwich makers!

Spicymoose
12-06-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="white"> White supremacist a-hole. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

TheWorstPlayer
12-06-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="white"> White supremacist a-hole. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="white"> Why? </font>

swede123
12-06-2005, 03:16 PM
ElD:

The other patron is responding with "no sir, I don't" to the jerk's statement that "everyone should know the language, do you know what I'm saying?"

This PSA is unintentionally humorous the same way the pot PSAs are, like the one where the guy forgets to pick up his little sister at the amusement park or whatever.

Swede

Ulysses
12-06-2005, 03:23 PM
swede,

I had focused on "well if you want to work here, you have to speak the language" &lt;-that and missed this-&gt; "you know what i mean?" Thanks for the clarification.

Now that I understand that, it is clear that the commercial needed the dude responding "You don't? OK, let me make it crystal clear for you. This f'in beaner waiter needs to speak f'ing English so he can not f up my order, this is America motherf'er!"

asofel
12-06-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for a sec i was really confused and wondering why you were taking a saw to your bread instead of a simple knife...

B Dids
12-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Diablo,

I have seen that commercial and it bothers me, because I just can't see not getting your fist out of your mouth.

Anti-Drug adds just will never be as good as "I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU DAD".

TheWorstPlayer
12-06-2005, 03:30 PM
This commercial should follow right after the old Buchanan commercial where the guy calls 911 and the recording says "For Spanish: Press 1, For French: Press 2, For German: Press 3, ...." and then he dies while you hear "For English: Press 85" or something like that. For maximal amusement.

xadrez
12-06-2005, 03:39 PM
This commercial is just as retarded as the assertion that the United States will soon become a place where English isnt widely spoken.

Dominic
12-06-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This commercial is just as retarded as the assertion that the United States will soon become a place where English isnt widely spoken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Que?

Landon_McFly
12-06-2005, 04:15 PM
I guess this makes me an a-hole or whatever, but I easily get frustrated with people who's job consists of talking to people, but they have a hard time speaking english.

It's sooo annoying. I think people need to understand that you're in AMERICA. We speak English.

You can speak all the foreign language you want at your house or with your friends, but don't get pissed at me if I look at you like you're stupid because you can't pronounce things correctly at your customer service job.

wdeadwyler
12-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Diablo, are you still using quick reply? If so, what ratio of the time would you estimate you get the Form No Longer Valid Response

All, I meant say instead of SAW in my original post, in case that was not clear.

swede123
12-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Most of the time when this happens the person you are speaking to isn't actually in this fine country, but rather in a call center in India or somewhere. I'm not saying it's cool to have customer service reps who barely speak English, but the blame lies with the companies trying to save a buck rather than the poor dude trying to feed his family in Bangladesh.

Swede

JonPKibble
12-06-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It is lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be high to see how funny the dude is though!!!!111ONE

ripdog
12-06-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess this makes me an a-hole or whatever, but I easily get frustrated with people who's job consists of talking to people, but they have a hard time speaking english.

It's sooo annoying. I think people need to understand that you're in AMERICA. We speak English.

You can speak all the foreign language you want at your house or with your friends, but don't get pissed at me if I look at you like you're stupid because you can't pronounce things correctly at your customer service job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bitched out a former employer via translator for not being able to speak english. They had accused me ([censored] Chinese people!) of making 1-976 calls on the company phone, like 24 of them in 5 minutes. His two daughters were holding the bill up and explaining to me that they were taking the money out of everbody's checks who had worked that day, exept for the older lady who was on shift. I told them that if they did that I was going to bring a lawyer into the eqaution and that the next time your dad wants to accuse me of something he can learn english and do it himself. They let it drop. To be fair though, he could speak a bit of english. One day I was smoking a cigarette out back and he started up his van. the fan belt was screeching like crazy. He popped the hood open and I told him that he needed to tighten the belt (he understood that somehow). He replied:

"No, no. I have spray!" [Holding a can of belt spray]

TomCollins
12-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Diablo,

I httc stn tht commyicail. Ntw hto do I gte my stif tou of my outh?

Csfused,
TomCollins

Ulysses
12-06-2005, 04:39 PM
w,

The first day I started using QR, I got the Form No Longer Valid twice (both in same thread).

Since then, I exclusively use QR and have never seen that error. FWIW, I do not Preview Replies.

12-06-2005, 04:46 PM
It's supposed to prove that the white person's frustration about his mixed-up sandwich order is totally misdirected at the unsuspecting hispanic waiter.

It should be directed at that f'n Korean chef in the back laughing his ass off. "Ching dong ching 'el wheato!' HA HA HA HA HA!"

ScottieK

Voltron87
12-06-2005, 04:47 PM
El Diablo,

The white guy says "If you want to work in this country, you have to speak the language, you know what I mean", and another patron says "No sir, I don't". Maybe I misquoted it in my OP, but I don't see the complication...

Anyways, if I were at a restaurant and I asked for wheat bread but got white because my waiter/server couldn't speak english, I would be annoyed. I wouldn't say something stupid like the guy in the ad, but I don't see why his stance is that unreasonable. Of course the people making the ad told the actor "be a total [censored] douchebag", but I could have made an ad that was anti-immigration if I told the busboy actor to make a fool of himself. I keep seeing this ad and its annoying.

also, whenever I try to use QR I get a "form not valid" message. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

B Dids
12-06-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the time when this happens the person you are speaking to isn't actually in this fine country, but rather in a call center in India or somewhere. I'm not saying it's cool to have customer service reps who barely speak English, but the blame lies with the companies trying to save a buck rather than the poor dude trying to feed his family in Bangladesh.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

As I said to a friend last week.

"I don't hate you 'cause you can't speak english, but I hate the fact that the company that hires your company chooses to put people who can't communicate with their customers in front line customer service positions".

imported_The Vibesman
12-06-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, if I were at a restaurant and I asked for wheat bread but got white because my waiter/server couldn't speak english, I would be annoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you'd be annoyed if the bread was wrong for whatever reason, not just a language problem. I think the point here is that the waiter/server not speaking English as a first language is not necessarily the reason the bread order is wrong. Amazingly enough, people who do speak English just fine are able to screw up orders too, and for many reasons other than a simple misunderstanding.

I agree that someone should be able to do his/her job. Not understanding English is just one more reason an incompetent person can't do his/her job. I see no reason to single these people out from all the English-speaking retards who also screw up their jobs on a daily basis. I find them all annoying.

As usual, I don't really think I have a point.

xadrez
12-06-2005, 05:00 PM
To add further to your "no-point", Id also like to add that there are a great number of pure bread americans who dont know how to speak proper english. So demarcating the line between non-american non-proper english speakers and american non-proper english speakers is also redundant.

BradleyT
12-06-2005, 05:05 PM
When I saw the thread title I could have bet the first line would be...

"While shopping for a car today, what to my suprise.."

tonypaladino
12-06-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I prefer pumpernickel, if ya catch my drift.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you go flax you never go backs.

bwana devil
12-07-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i havent seen this commerical. from the sound of it, it makes a horrid point. in a previous thread last week, i mentioned hiring (presumably) an illegal to do some painting at my house. we painted the day away. i speak (very) broken spanish and we got the job done.

to hire someone that has difficulty communicating w/ the public in a customer service position seems to make bad business sense.

bwana