PDA

View Full Version : $3/6. AA check

barongreenback
12-06-2005, 12:07 PM
If this is obvious a quick yay or nay will do.
Villain has big stack and has just pulled some big bluffs. He's loose so far and seems to be enjoying himself (often fatal I find). I don't know whether he's bad though.

$3/6 full. 7 handed

2 limps + poster in CO, SB(covers) completes, hero ($630) raises to $41 with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif. Only SB calls.

Flop 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (pot = $100)
Hero bets $60 ,SB calls.

Turn 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif pot = $220
Hero bets $150, SB calls.

River 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif pot = $520
Hero pushes $380

Main question is river but also bet sizes on flop and turn.

Thanks
James

swarm
12-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm betting the pot on the flop and turn...

12-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I'd bet slightly more, but it's the same idea. I don't mind getting thoroughly committed on the turn, I don't see a problem.

12-06-2005, 12:34 PM
What do you put villian on here? Something like 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10x?

Denutz
12-06-2005, 12:34 PM
What are you putting him on? It seems that you're allowing him to play his hand well - he'll probably almost always fold KK, QQ, JJ, TT, but he'll call you with any made flush, boat. Maybe you apply some pressure to a lower flush, but what is he supposed to put you on - quad 9s that pushes??? The $41 raise rules out 6s or 5s. Tell me if my thinking is off, but I feel that you've defined your exact hand from the get go and if he's at all decent he should know what to do on the river.

12-06-2005, 12:41 PM
villain is loose

we have a nice redraw

no im not expecting him to fold any kind of flush

aces with the nut redraw is too strong on that board to be scared and folding, against a loosey gambler

emil3000
12-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Slightly larger bets makes it a lot harder for him to get away from QQ or the like on the river, whila making only a subtle difference in folding equity on earlier streets.

River push is good, you lose value against JJ and TT by checking, and you can't check/fold. Checkraising the turn is an option, but inferior IMO, he might well get away from an overpair then.

barongreenback
12-06-2005, 12:51 PM
I've just realised I made a mistake in the OP. I have position and he check called flop and turn and checked river. Pretty important, I know.

emil3000
12-06-2005, 12:54 PM
This makes it a supereasy valuepush on the river.

Also I should have noticed he is SB.

swolfe
12-06-2005, 12:54 PM
he checks to you on all 3 streets, so i think it's fine. sometimes i'll check behind on the river...top pair just tripped up. if you think he was calling down with less than that (or an overpair), then the push is good.

ahnuld
12-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about the action, given that sb called you pf. I like more money on the flop, then the pot is bigger on the turn and you can commit yourself (which you want) on the river, I guess your be is okay from a passive calling station, and I cant see many hands holding a nine, but if he is loose, maybe I check since 9T suited is a possibility for bad opponents. But I probably bet too.

barongreenback
12-06-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you put villian on here? Something like 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10x?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about that kind of hand and I reckon he would call with that. When a big raise gets called preflop I naturally think about pairs but this situation was different. He had a big stack and my raise probably didn't seem that big to him. He could have a big range.

I normally bet the pot on the flop but my hand wasn't as vulnerable as most one pair hands and I didn't want to lose a small FD because of the potential payoff. Also, villain had shown willingness to draw to bluffs and bluff big and I wanted to leave that door open.

James

Bukem_
12-06-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't like it in general after preflop.

Bet more on the flop.

Consider a cr all in on the turn. The guy will bluff, let him.

On river I definitely don't like a push as played. Its now way to obvious you have an overpair, doubtful he calls you with a worse hand. Check, let him bluff the nine.

Why are so many people putting him on TT-QQ? He is loose, calling with any two to get lucky. THese guys make money when you over play your hands, even though they typically draw incorrectly.

12-06-2005, 01:32 PM
It's hard to check raise when you're last to act.

Bukem_
12-06-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to check raise when you're last to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh, way its posted really looks like hero is first to act.

I just blast it every time vs this guy then.

Wayfare
12-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Your river play sort of makes it hard for opponent to make any mistake.

barongreenback
12-07-2005, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I have pretty bad instincts when it comes to value betting the river. I still haven't got limit out of my blood. I usually decide too much on emotions (scared or worried about being weak) instead of doing what I should be doing.

Once he just called the turn I was confident I was ahead. The 9 is a problem on the river but his check makes it less likely he has it. His lack of aggression suggests he has something to show down which increases the chance of a call. So I'm usually ahead but it's hard to believe a decent player calls much with a worse hand.

Anyway, he thought awhile and called with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif and I got the read I was looking for! I think that most of the time he wouldn't call with such a hand but just at that particular moment he didn't care too much about the money. Note that even with my smaller flop bet and a reasonable hand he didn't play back at me.

Whether I bet more early on depends on whether I intend to get away from the hand unimproved. Vs a wide range my hand does need protection from random 2 pair suckouts if I’m going to payoff. The majority of my stack went in at the river which I don’t like. Still don’t know about the river.

James

xorbie
12-07-2005, 11:25 AM
If this guy is really loose and a big bluffer I see no harm in checking the turn. We're looking at like 4 outs most hands have, and unless he's *really* loose I just can't imagine him calling two big bets here with a poor pair and a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. That river bet looks terrible unless this guy is a major calling station.

Hattifnatt
12-07-2005, 12:11 PM
I check behind on the turn.