PDA

View Full Version : Am I Just Bad At Tournaments

CMangano
07-11-2003, 06:42 PM
It seems to me like there is a TON of luck in tournaments. I play in a $1 buy-in tournament with a gauranteed $2500 prize pool once a week. Every week I last into the top 100 or so, then get blinded out. At almost every table I sit at, I feel that I am one of the 3 or 4 best palyers at the table. Yet guys who see almost every flop seem to always be the ones will all the chips.

The blinds increase every 15 minutes, so after about an hour your stack begins to look very small. Given the fact that the buy-in is only a buck, should I just see every flop and try to get lucky like most others do? I can't imagine this being correct, as now I am just playing the lottery. Any thoughts?

Marco Trevix
07-11-2003, 06:49 PM
I'm sure you are talking about LIMIT tournaments (with the structure described) since at no-limit tournaments (hold'em) the best players prevail without difficulties.

Marco

cferejohn
07-11-2003, 07:15 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm sure you are talking about LIMIT tournaments (with the structure described) since at no-limit tournaments (hold'em) the best players prevail without difficulties.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if that is a joke, but its a silly thing to say. A bad player is probably more able to win a single NL tourney than a limit tourney, since he can just get lucky once or twice and suddenly have a huge stack (like if he went all in with KJs v. AA and KK and hit is flush).

As to the original question, this $1 buy in $2500 must have a lot of players (more than 2500, one would imagine). With that size of a field, even the best tournament player in the world isn't going to win more than once in 1000 times (actually, that would be quite good).