PDA

View Full Version : small pocket pairs

12-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Not sure this is the right place to post this but..

Let's say you hold 55

Flop comes 2 J T rainbow.

Do you ever peel one off to try and catch a 5 on the turn?
I do realize if depends what size the pot is, but it's rarely big enough to give the odds to even check the turn.

I guess with implied odds it could be. But let's use an average pot in this example /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Reads probably play a big part here too.

So main question: is it ever correct to peel one off?

12-06-2005, 10:29 AM
I would say almost never, unless maybe you HU and you think he's autobetting overs or something. With an average pot on the flop you will never have odds to call if you think someone is ahead of you already. I remember reading a great essay on small pocket pairs (by Clarkmeister I think) a couple months ago. Does anyone that remembers have a link by any chance?

Str8Fish
12-06-2005, 10:37 AM
I think the ultimate correct answer comes in from looking at the pot size relative to the number of outs you think you have. Also, in some cases, if it is checked to the button who is aggressive enough to try to steal a pot, I might think I have the best hand at that point and call to the turn. But that call would completely be read-dependent.

12-06-2005, 11:10 AM
All I can say is... it depends.

car ramrod
12-06-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the ultimate correct answer comes in from looking at the pot size relative to the number of outs you think you have. Also, in some cases, if it is checked to the button who is aggressive enough to try to steal a pot, I might think I have the best hand at that point and call to the turn. But that call would completely be read-dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it's checked to the button and you think you have him beat, it is best to raise, face the rest of the field with 2 and get it hu, vs button. calling is not good in that situation. Either fold or raise.

mack848
12-06-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I I remember reading a great essay on small pocket pairs (by Clarkmeister I think) a couple months ago. Does anyone that remembers have a link by any chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

This one by Sthief09? - scroll down (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=&Number=1658401&page=0&vi ew=&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1)

shant
12-06-2005, 01:27 PM
It depends. What happened preflop, what are the reads on the players in the hand, how big is the pot, etc.

In the outline you gave in an average pot I'd say no.