12-06-2005, 09:14 AM
$10+1 a couple of hands in no reads.
blinds 50-100
Hero BB - 1670
Villain Button - 1900

Folded to Villain who raises to 300
SB folds
I call with K4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
(The reason I called is I tought he was trying to steal)
FLOP: T4Q rainbow.(Suits don't matter)
CHECK:CHECK
TURN: 2
CHECK:CHECK
TURN: 9
CHECK: and Villain goes all in?

What would be your read on this situation?
Why did villain raise and then not raise flop or turn?

applejuicekid
12-06-2005, 09:45 AM
fold preflop

if you thought he was stealing push

why do you think he was on a steal?

12-06-2005, 09:59 AM
It felt like a steal to me because I have noticed this kind of play alot at these tables. When he didn't bet the flop or turn I became even more suspicous. Then when he bet the river I tought "hang on a minute this doesn't seem right if he had a hand he would have either bet after flop/turn or value bet on the end- so why the push from him?" I didn't push pre-flop because there is always the possibility that he is not bluffing!

tigerite
12-06-2005, 10:08 AM
And K4 sooted is good enough to prevent a steal is it?

12-06-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It felt like a steal to me because I have noticed this kind of play alot at these tables. When he didn't bet the flop or turn I became even more suspicous. Then when he bet the river I tought "hang on a minute this doesn't seem right if he had a hand he would have either bet after flop/turn or value bet on the end- so why the push from him?" I didn't push pre-flop because there is always the possibility that he is not bluffing!

[/ QUOTE ]

So did you call to pick off his river bluff? K4 sooooted is just too good to lay down!

To answer your question: Yes - but keep coming back and that can change.

12-06-2005, 10:49 AM
I would've folded preflop, but if you're going to be playing a hand like this, you absolutely have to raise at some point. Just donking it down and hoping the cards hit you in the head isn't going to cut it. I would say with as trashy as your cards are, you are the underdog here 90% of the time after his preflop raise. There's just no reason to risk a significant portion of your stack here, when there will be stealing opportunities soon where people are dying to give you their chips.

pooh74
12-06-2005, 11:12 AM
The reason I called is I tought he was trying to steal

This is a donkFish's favorite line...

yeah, maybe he was trying to steal with K5!

12-06-2005, 12:41 PM
if you thought he was stealing, then push before the flop....but with stacks around 16xbb i would just let this hand go and pick a better spot/hand to defend your blinds...and maybe you shoulda lead out on the turn next time.....right now your play is very donkish....but keep posting hands and reading hands and you should get a lot better

12-06-2005, 02:02 PM
And K4 sooted is good enough to prevent a steal is it?

No its not id admit that the call was donkish and I was prepared to fold the flop if he bet- but he didn't which led me to believe that the river was a total bluff.
I called his bet and he shwowed A5o. He then started calling me DONKFISH for calling his bet - Can anyone else see that this is a bluff??? I was pretty sure at the time it happened. Thanks for the replys.

mlagoo
12-06-2005, 02:10 PM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12-06-2005, 02:22 PM
You had the right read, but you didn't have the cards to be making calls like this. What if he had a pair of tens or a small pocket pair. He could be betting like this in those scenarios.
In this situation, I would be calling with really good hands, and folding the rest to raises like this. Its better that you be the agressor and steal a blind later from the next guy than try to defend these blinds.

Melchiades
12-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Looks like it might be a bluff, but how stupid do you feel when he flip over A9 or 55? Even if you think he maybe is bluffing, this is a fold. But then again you shouldn't have been in the hand in the first place.

To put it in donkfish terms: "You are risking your TOURNAMENT LIFE dude!" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

12-06-2005, 02:30 PM
i cant see ur river call allin can be profitable over the long run...no matter how much you feel its a bluff

his post flop play is even worse than ur preflop.....but...
i will say that trusting ur gut is a good way to go...but dont make irrational "gut" calls....ive made calls that a lot of people on this forum said not to call....but my reasoning behind those calls were backed by hard thinking and analyzing everything about the hand...and when i made the call i was very sure that i had it.......

and lastly...u coulda avoided this tough river decision by betting the flop or the turn.....

one.

12-06-2005, 02:30 PM
One mistake that beginners make all the time is the one you just describe. Even if he is bluffing, you have nothing! Why give him your chips? What do you think he was bluffing with? 72o. Even if he had 72 he was in position to bluff, and you show 0 strengh. BTW if he'd had 72 and you'd called and win, it would be a mistake from your part to call regardless of the result.

xJMPx
12-06-2005, 02:48 PM
You really have to remain patient. It is really hard to sit there a let someone steal from you, but if you don't have a hand, you don't have a hand and at this point you can afford to lose the 100.

Just remember, if he is stealing here he will try again. And next time the blinds will be higher and you might pick up a hand.

Last night I had someone stealing my BB from the SB with min-raises on the bubble. She did every time without fail. I can't stand folding my BB to a min-raise, but I was short stacked and had to stay patient. Eventually I made a move back at her, and ended up with more chips than what she stole on previous rounds.

This leads me to ask, do guys feel it can be beneficial to let someone steal your blinds at will in the earlier rounds, because with the increasing blinds you just have to usually catch them once to make their steals profitable for yourself?

12-06-2005, 02:56 PM
No, dont bother. If you have a hand at the first attempt they make just punish them the same. They might think you just want to defend your blinds with garbage. Also, you can gain respect and bluff later on.