PDA

View Full Version : Flop top pair vs. 2 to flush

12-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Limped preflop w/K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif Table is very passive with most players VP$IP at 40+ and PFR at 0.

PokerRoom 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: is with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif,10/images/graemlins/spade.gif .
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Fathomer1 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Fathomer1 calls, CO folds.

Top 2 pair. I don't raise since I won't chase anyone out. Flush draw will still be getting odds. I'm planning on raising the turn

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, Fathomer1 calls.

I see the seven as a scare card. I have no idea what SB or BB could have called/checked preflop, but since I have a King and a ten, that lead me to think that at least 1 made trips. Am I over rationalizing this?

River: (7.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Fathomer1 folds, SB calls.

BB woke up on the river. The third /images/graemlins/heart.gif made me think that atleast one made the flush. The pot isn't large enough to call for 2bb's, IMHO, plus if SB made a bigger flush I have to worry about a reraise.

tear it apart ladies and gentlemen.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Sloats
12-06-2005, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't stop betting until the 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif I would be betting for value since I would be ahead, not betting to chase people out.

sean c
12-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Pre flop is a raise for a couple of reasons. It way get you short handed and improve your chances of winning with as little as one pair. If a bunch of players do cold call behind you you have a nice hand that will play well in a multi way pot it has high card strength, is sooted and connected with a couple of gaps /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Waiting for the turn doesn't suck here but with a player left to act behind me i am raising/capping the flop.

Turn WTF? The second seven doesn't change anything raise it.

River getting 5:1 not closing the action and given the way BB has played the hand so far i don't mind the fold but you wil be laying the best hand down here a small % of the time.

12-06-2005, 11:52 AM
*grunch*

Raise preflop. At a table this passive, a strong suited hand like yours is excellent for a raise.

I'd raise the flop for value. It doesn't offer ideal protection against a flush draw, but it's also possible the the turn raise wouldn't either:

Raising the flop (given the action to that point) presents a flush draw with 10-to-2 or 5-to-1 odds.
Raising the turn (given no flop raise and the action to that point) presents a flush draw with 8.5-to-2 or 4.25-to-1 odds.

Neither play really defends that well, so I like a flop value raise here.

With the flop call, the turn is an obvious raise. The 7 is certainly not that big a threat.

shant
12-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Raise preflop.

As you played it, raise the flop. Chasing people out? It's a drawy flop and the SB is betting with something he likes. Who cares if the flush draw won't fold, you're raising for value.

If that random turn card is going to scare you off your plan of raising the turn, then you should've just raised the flop because I assume a lot of cards would have slowed you down.

charlie_t_jr
12-06-2005, 01:38 PM
I don't mind the pre-flop limp, but you might want to consider a raise.

You have to raise the flop. You've got a big hand, and a chance to pump the flop. Raise for value.

Raising the flop might have changed the turn action, but I still be betting if checked to and raising if bet into.

12-06-2005, 01:51 PM
grunch,

Raise this hand pre-flop with a passive table. Raise the flop for value. Raise the turn. On the flop and turn I want SB to define his hand. You've got top two pair, worry about a set, don't worry about fd until the 3rd card falls. You gotta push these hands for value because the flush is only coming in 35% of the time.

bozlax
12-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Raise preflop with KTs in MP3 vs. 1 limper.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't raise since I won't chase anyone out.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you raise because you undoubtedly have the best hand, here, and passing up +EV situations like this costs you money.

[ QUOTE ]
I see the seven as a scare card. I have no idea what SB or BB could have called/checked preflop, but since I have a King and a ten, that lead me to think that at least 1 made trips. Am I over rationalizing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a serious case of MUBS you've got, there. Nobody else raised, you should.

On the river, without a read, ugh. I fold because I think SB will call and I'll get to see the cards, and I doubt I'm good here 1 time in 5. But, if you'd been properly aggressive on the flop and turn, you'd not be in this situation.

12-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Grunch....

Preflop... Cool.

Flop you should be raising top topair... This will give you some more info into what SB and BB have.

Assuming that they both call flop and everything goes that way then I am fine with how you played it out..

12-06-2005, 04:27 PM
I agree with all of this, but is a fold at the 4h automatic?

Thebram
12-06-2005, 05:16 PM
...grunch...

You dont want to raise the flop to protect your hand against flushes, you want to raise it for value.
Top two is too powerful of a hand here to not push your edge.

Plus, SB could have something like T7 or K7, and 3-bet you, forcing potential flush draws to cold call facing a possible cap from you.

Given the way you played the flop, I think the rest is correct.

Sloats
12-06-2005, 11:32 PM
I would make a crying call because I had made the pot so big.

The 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif makes me believe that any raise would cost me 2 BB and I would not get the caller to justify the 1 BB bet. I would only bet in hopes of hiding my cards.