PDA

View Full Version : Damned if I do....

montybear
12-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Okay, two hands from PP 33's last night.
Some might construe the second as a bad beat, but really, I'm wondering if I just screwed up.

Suits are irrelevant, stack sizes from memory

1st hand, 4 players on bubble BB is 200, which I post
Button has 700 left, I've got 1500 and the two big stacks are sitting this out

Button raises to 500
I've got 99.
my read on button is better then any random two. he's relatively tight (too tight for bubble play IMO). He's got a crappy ace or two broadway. I figure that I can't call, because more than half the flops will have some paint or ace, and I'd be pot committed anyways. I know I have no FE left, so do I push and take the inevitable coinflip? Just looking to confirmt that there is no other choice.

Hand 2, again i'm BB, posting 200.
Button (~2500t) flat calls-no real reads, not a donkey
SB calls 100t, leaving him 360- huge donkey, should have busted long ago
I've got 950 after posting and K3

Flop K,3,4
SB bets out 200t (pair of fours is my guess, leaving himself 160t
???? wtf
I push my last 950t, button calls and SB folds
button has KJ, J on turn, mocking K on river and I'm out.
I can handle the beat, but the fact that the SB managed to make the money left me wondering if I screwed up.
Should i have just reraised to get him all-in, and expect the button to not come over the top? Assuming the button pushes, and again the SB folds, do you call with 600t left?
Or do you just chalk it up to bad luck and move on?

Confused.

Double Down
12-06-2005, 09:08 AM
I think you should gamble with the 9s in hand 1 and you did the right thing in hand 2

12-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Agreed - 99 isn't that much of a gamble given the situation. He needs to make a move soon - you have a genuine hand, have to do it imo.

2nd hand - played it fine, i'd do the same - you got in as favourite and got unlucky. Hard to say if the button would have called an earlier all in.Has he been tight? looking like he's playing to get in the money rather than taking 1st? If you did get the call chances are you are the dog. You ended up with an ideal situation which went bad /images/graemlins/frown.gif

The SBs play is weird but once he saw the all in and call he maybe figured that was his best chance of getting in the money. I'd figure that the bigger stack wouldnt make a move unless he was sure he had it, no reason to risk it otherwise. Maybe he held something poor like A4. I'd be annoyed too /images/graemlins/frown.gif

aaronk56
12-06-2005, 10:12 AM
First hand, you have to gamble and hope he has A junk so it's only one over.

Second hand you played it right if you wanted to get the most chips in the pot, if you wanted to get the rest of the SB's chips in the pot, flat call and let him go all-in on the turn. If the big stack raises, it's more likely he'll call because he thinks you might fold as well.

Marc H
12-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Push and push.

Too bad about the result, that's poker.

12-06-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's got a crappy ace or two broadway. I know I have no FE left, so do I push and take the inevitable coinflip?

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's got a crappy ace, it isn't a coinflip, is it?
[ QUOTE ]
Or do you just chalk it up to bad luck and move on?

[/ QUOTE ]You got all your chips in the pot in a dominating position. Don't second guess.

Insty
12-06-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1st hand, 4 players on bubble BB is 200, which I post
Button has 700 left, I've got 1500 and the two big stacks are sitting this out

Button raises to 500
I've got 99.
my read on button is better then any random two. he's relatively tight (too tight for bubble play IMO). He's got a crappy ace or two broadway. I figure that I can't call, because more than half the flops will have some paint or ace, and I'd be pot committed anyways. I know I have no FE left, so do I push and take the inevitable coinflip? Just looking to confirmt that there is no other choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd try a stop-n-go here.
99 is too good to fold.
He's not folding preflop.
He *might* fold the flop if he thinks it's really unfriendly.
I think its worth it just for the miniscule amount of FE you gain.

Either way you're seeing all the cards.

mlagoo
12-06-2005, 02:52 PM
these are both fine

xJMPx
12-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Hand 1: With your read that he has been too tight, I think a stop and go might work well in this spot. But if you think there is much of chance he has A9-, K9-, then I'd just push.

Hand 2: Right play, wrong result.

tigerite
12-06-2005, 03:31 PM
99 you should push because you DON'T WANT him to fold preflop, or to miss out on the 200 chips on the flop. The times he has A2-A9 (and probably K4-K9 ish at that) are way too big to pass up on here by stop and going.