PDA

View Full Version : QQ in da SB

J Chap
12-06-2005, 04:32 AM
Bruvva got QQ in da SB @ NL 100 - 3rd hand at tabo' .

UTG limps, MP makes it 6.

me?

(I make it 26, MP calls).

flop 368 rainbow. Pot $55, i have $70 left, he has me covered, action on me.

me? (I pushed, he folded)

Is that standard?

12-06-2005, 04:40 AM
One could argue that you should try and keep him in the hand to extract more money out of him, but I like it. Take it down. I don't want to see a king or ace on the later streets.

Or is that scared poker?

J Chap
12-06-2005, 04:48 AM
from some other threads i've been reading, it sounds like value is the name of the game. it sounds like some of the other advice-givers would be flop-35-ish-ing and turn-pushing....or...i don't know. that's weird. maybe this is a different scenario.

ajmargarine
12-06-2005, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
from some other threads i've been reading, it sounds like value is the name of the game. it sounds like some of the other advice-givers would be flop-35-ish-ing and turn-pushing....or...i don't know. that's weird. maybe this is a different scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't too much of an overbet. In the other thread, Hero overbet by more than 2x I think. You can do what you did. 35-35 would be OK too. You ain't folding. You are either WA or WB. Don't be afraid of him sucking out on you.

The thing with your overbet here is that it may look more like a bluff with a missed AK, and may get more calls. Third hand at the table, they'll probably give you credit for donking it up with your aces. /images/graemlins/smile.gif With a bet of $35 they may look you up with a 99-TT type hand and then be comitted on the turn.

J Chap
12-06-2005, 05:09 AM
word.

as long as you promise me the party pattern mapper bot-control krang mainframe isn't rewarding LAG play on their part.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12-06-2005, 05:12 AM
Hands like these are interesting, and finding the right balance of what to do with overpockets after the flop is a huge step that I'm still trying to figure out...it's tremendously costly or ridiculously rewarding.

As a NL50/100 player myself, I know that I wouldn't straight push all-in there. I would bet about 30-40 into the 55 pot. The flip side to making a bet of 40 dollars there, is that you pretty much pin yourself to a 135 dollar pot here if he calls...so that's the advantage to going allin right there (you also neutralize positional disadvantage...which doens't matter all that much now you've pretty much announced your hand PF.) After all, it's an 8 high rainbow flop, the guy just called 20 dollars on your flop reraise (which is a huge raise and you committed 1/4 of your stack), so he knows you have something very strong (he has you on QQ KK AA), and he probably only just called there with AK trying to top you with an ace, or a smaller pocket pair (99,JJ,1010) fishing for a set.

I honestly think that he would fold here to a 25 dollar bet, even though that's small for the pot and you'd be giving him 3:1. Basically, he's only calling that all-in with a hand that beats you (set or slow played aces), because he knows exactly what range your hand is. Going all-in may be a little over aggressive...I would agree with the "value bet" crowd. That's just my two cents, nice hand otherwise.

12-06-2005, 06:13 AM
Because of his short stack it is easier to overbet than would normally be assumed. Your play was fine, so long as you had no good read on villain. I still get nervous with JJ and QQ preflop, but I have to tell myself to solicit action, it does work out in the long run so long as you do not make the pervasive mistake of overplaying. Up until a few months ago I overplayed every big pocket pair and it realy hurt. Your bet wasn't stupid big, but I would've charged him a bit less.

Cambraceres

pokernose
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
I think this is an excellent situation for an overbet. As mentioned previously you are either way ahead or way behind, but this size of an overbet has some chance, although possible a small one, of taking the pot away from a hand like KK. Betting something like 1/2 the pot isn't as likely to do that.