PDA

View Full Version : 20/40 I float in the CO

climber
12-06-2005, 02:29 AM
20/40 full 40% to flop...small site so no player stats...
fairly passive with the exception the guy just to my right who is tilting against me specifically cause i was owning him with 98o and stuff like that 3 handed earlier in the day. This is mostly postflop with bluff c/rs and stuff like that. At this point in the session his preflop game is still that of a normal decent player with the exception of being way too loose from the blinds.

Preflop:
Lousy player UTG limps in, folded to tilter in HJ who raises, I float with ATs, Button(tightish) folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: Qd 5h 6d
checked to HJ who bets(as always), I raise, fold, fold, he calls

Turn: Qc
HJ donks, I call

River: Ad
HJ checks, I bet, he calls.

First, I'm more of a 3-bet or fold guy but the flaot seemed correct here. I dont float much but was curious if this is a correct spot for it?

Pog0
12-06-2005, 07:22 AM
I like your play on the turn and river, not sure how you'd react to a turn c/r (assuming he didn't donk) or a river c/r as it played out, but that's not the point here.

His raise is in a good iso. position vs a loose limper. Give him a slightly smaller range than his stealing range, probably 30% and I say you have a reasonable hand to play him with. Looks like all of fold, call, and raise are probably close. ATo would be a definite r/f.

Brom
12-06-2005, 08:38 AM
I think the float is OK in this situation. Personally I don't float much either but this looks good. It is no disaster to be in a 4-way pot with ATs and having position too.

The only way this could be truly bad is if someone would have folded AJ or maybe AQ to a 3-bet but instead calls now since it's cheaper. This seems highly doubtful to me though. You might even entice weaker Aces to call and therefore pay you off big postflop if an Ace comes down.

Taking the initiative on the tilter isn't quite as useful here as it would be if he was playing more straight. He's probably going to be more inclined to get to a showdown versus you anyways, so your fold equity is quite low versus him.

climber
12-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far guys...anyone else care to comment on this?

I know people float and occassionally it jsut feels right but I would like to be able to better articulate the reasons it could be a good move. Little folding equity, decent hand, LP, people behind you(if any) unlikely to be participating, chance of getting dominated hands to play...thanks for pointing those out guys.

Anything else you think about if considering a float?

Klepton
12-06-2005, 06:14 PM
the last person who posted a floating hand never heard the end of it.

it is much better to 3-bet here.

climber
12-06-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the last person who posted a floating hand never heard the end of it.

it is much better to 3-bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]

link?

So far 2 people have said they think its fine. I kind of got a headache earlier when i was trying to think about it.

The negatives I see are letting in a QTo or some other random J,Q, or K from the button or blinds. If they hit the flop then I would be pretty mad I hadnt 3-bet I guess....

Is that why you say the 3-bet is way better?

climber
12-08-2005, 01:32 AM
could a couple more people tell me what they think of this one way or the other...?

thanks

12-08-2005, 01:41 AM
This is a decent situation for a coldcall but I would need at least AJs, even then it seems marginal and I would want to fold it. AQs I would do easy.