PDA

View Full Version : Brilliance at Absolute

MrWookie47
12-06-2005, 01:08 AM
In Absolute's latest software update, they apparently no longer allow you to have certain special characters in your password, including quesiton marks, ampersands, commas, apostraphes, and probably many others. Not only is this brilliant in that they're instigating a system with lower security, but they never bothered to warn people who have special characters in their password. That's right. The check for special characters won't accept them at the point where you log in, not just at password creation. I have one or more in mine, and I really would like to be able to log in. I guess I'll have to get it reset.

whodaman
12-06-2005, 01:16 AM
that sucks

TheIrishThug
12-06-2005, 01:16 AM
i've got a few characters that r on the top row, they worked. sorry to hear ur problem

12-06-2005, 02:44 AM
Well, at least passwords will be easier to make and type! That's good, right?! Just that much faster to get to the action!

Uglyowl
12-06-2005, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, at least passwords will be easier to make and type! That's good, right?! Just that much faster to get to the action!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you were just being an imbecile, since that is what that comment was. It is shocking that they no longer allow this level of security when money is involved for people who need it.

This is a step in the opposite direction that most companies are taking.

Mike Haven
12-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Talking of lack of security, our friends at Pacific create your six letter/number password for you; e-mail it to you; and don't let you change it. If it wasn't Pacific, I would find this almost unbelievably lax in security terms.

TheHammer24
12-06-2005, 12:23 PM
I think the problem is unique to you. I have to astrices in mine and I just logged in fine.

mackthefork
12-06-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem is unique to you. I have to astrices in mine and I just logged in fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he does have astrices I just logged into his too, and can also confirm it is fine. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mack

CORed
12-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Looks like Larry Moe and Curly, the Absolute software development team, will have to put in some overtime to fix this.

TobDog
12-06-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it wasn't Pacific, I would find this almost unbelievably lax in security terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you have to go to Party to find out you should not share your password with anyone, do these people think we are smart or what?

StellarWind
12-06-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it wasn't Pacific, I would find this almost unbelievably lax in security terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you have to go to Party to find out you should not share your password with anyone, do these people think we are smart or what?

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, you don't actually play on Party do you /images/graemlins/wink.gif?

Seriously, Party does plenty wrong but I won't blame them for saying this over-and-over. Most account hacks probably begin with the user sharing his password.

Maybe seeing this catch phrase in every last Party email will set off some bells for a few people when the next "Party" email asks for their password instead.

StellarWind
12-06-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Talking of lack of security, our friends at Pacific create your six letter/number password for you; e-mail it to you; and don't let you change it. If it wasn't Pacific, I would find this almost unbelievably lax in security terms.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you weren't Mike Haven I would find this post to be unbelievable. OMG.

I'm completely serious when I say that my on-again, off-again thoughts of opening a Pacific account just ended for a long time. This is just too scary.

mscags
12-06-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, Party does plenty wrong but I won't blame them for saying this over-and-over. Most account hacks probably begin with the user sharing his password.

Maybe seeing this catch phrase in every last Party email will set off some bells for a few people when the next "Party" email asks for their password instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I really enjoy is how they harp on not sharing your password, but when you first download the software the "remember my password" box is auto checked /images/graemlins/confused.gif

12-06-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hope you were just being an imbecile, since that is what that comment was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, me being an imbecile.

Call me stupid about computer security, but why would anyone want to make password generation simple. I don't get it. Seems about as smart as putting a fork into an electical socket.

MrWookie47
12-06-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking about the * character? I think they haven't blocked all special characters. But they explicitly list &,? and '

dlk9s
12-06-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I really enjoy is how they harp on not sharing your password, but when you first download the software the "remember my password" box is auto checked /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that's too big of a deal. Most people play from home, so it's not like many people are going to get their passwords stolen by someone breaking into their house, turning on their computer, and revving up Party Poker.

I do agree that it would probably be a good idea to have the "unchecked" box as the default, though.

timprov
12-06-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really six letter/number, or six cards? Mine's a six-card poker hand, anyway.

(Go ahead, try all 13^6 combinations. Then enjoy the $12 sitting in my Pacific account.)

Zetack
12-06-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really six letter/number, or six cards? Mine's a six-card poker hand, anyway.

(Go ahead, try all 13^6 combinations. Then enjoy the $12 sitting in my Pacific account.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I will. Nice to have permission to exercize my skillz.

--Zetack

Spartan1983
12-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Mine is a letter/number combination and 2 of the letters can't be confused with any cards.

Uglyowl
12-07-2005, 01:21 AM
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/images/us/local/products/detail/f02572_dt.jpg

ChuckyB
12-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Your avatar is frickin' killing me! What is that cat doing?